El Camino Central Forum banner

Holley Elec Choke problems

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  71 el cazeno 
#1 ·
Greeting friends,
I put a holley 670 street avenger on my SBC 406. With it adjusted all the way long (counter clockwise) the choke works for all of about 2 minutes then dies until the engine warms, then all is great! I got the hot lead from the wiper motor hot lead.
Has anyone heard of such a problem? (cranking afternight)
There has got to be something wrong with the choke mechanics or electronics..... Help.... It's imbarrasing having to crank up at a stop sign with neighbors behind me....
Thanks,
Loren

#2 ·
I'm not sure I really understand your problem. You set the choke as rich as you can, after 2 minutes the choke releases and the car stalls? It's normal for an electric choke to release after a couple of minutes. Do you have the heat track in the intake manifold blocked off, are you running headers or cast exhaust manifolds with a heat riser valve?

#3 ·
The intake is an Edelbrock Performer EPs with Holly 670 street avenger. by and large you are correct. I crank it up in the morning and by the time I get to the first stop sign....<1/4 mile, it starts dying, at least it does crank back up. I did get through to the folks at Holley who suggest putting on a new choke cap (which has the coil in it).. I just put it on, Now I have to adjust it down. currently idling at about 2300..... Keep your finger crossed I can make it past the first 1/4 mile..
Thanks,
Loren

#5 ·
That's what the tech at Holley thought too. I have now replaced the old coil.... You wouldn't believe the improvement, even in smoothness and power.... Who'd have thought?

Thanks and you are absolutely right!
Loren

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.