El Camino Central Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mint condition 76 El Camino SS for sale

12K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  rtatwk 
#1 ·
Hey guys I am new to the forums. I am actually here to find out how much my dad should sell his car for. It is an 76 SS with 17,000 original miles on it. That is right 17,000 original miles. On top of that it has been garage kept and covered inside the garage for it's entire life. This means that all of the rubber parts are still perfect and there is no rust anywhere on or under the car. This car has never seen rain or any bad weather. The car is completely original inside and out and except for a couple tiny dents along the side (garage items bumping into it over the 27 years) it is perfect. The engine needs a little work here and there like new seals for the carbourator and small stuff like that (time does that to cars). It still runs like it did before I was born. Any help finding a buyer or even just a price estimate would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

#2 ·
"A picture is worth a thousand words" If it's an SS, is it a 350 or 454, that alone would increase the value. Kind of hard to say what a car would be worth if you can't at least look at some pictures. Why don't you post some pics on here, you might even find a buyer!

#6 ·
I love the car and so does he. He bought it from the factory brand new and I don't know what a garage looks like without it. He wants something that is a little louder and faster. He is leaning towards a ZO6 and this way there is alot more room in the garage. He get's rid of both of his cars and gets one in return. I am an Rx-7 entusiast myself, and I need some garage space to park mine. So there you have it. After 26 or 27 years it is time for it to find a new owner that can take care of it properly and enjoy it at the same time.

#7 ·
Chris,
It's too bad your dad can't keep the SS Elky and get his Z06. It's the best of both worlds. The Elky looks great.
You might check www.collectorcartraderonline.com and see what people are asking for 4th generation El Caminos (I'd add about 25% for the condition your dad's appears to be in).
Good luck,
Dan
1987 El Camino Choo-Choo SS
2002 Corvette Z06

#9 ·
Chris, I am not sure what your dad's Elky is worth. If it wasn't so far away, I'd take a serious look at it. It is in great shape. My suggestion would be to pay a certified auto appraiser to look it over. Bring or show all documentation of ownership and service records. That might not tell you what you can sell it for, but at least give an accurate starting point. Plus, you can provide the appraisal to the buyer. I know that would help me, if I was the buyer.

Best of luck,

Jay

#11 ·
theelcaminofactory said:
"A picture is worth a thousand words" If it's an SS, is it a 350 or 454, that alone would increase the value. Kind of hard to say what a car would be worth if you can't at least look at some pictures. Why don't you post some pics on here, you might even find a buyer!
It's a 350...the 454 said goodnight after the 75 model run...not sure but even the 400 was gone by then IIRC....

There are several car guides online...VRM & CPI are the most reliable (CPI can be found on the Hemmings site).

www.kbb.com
www.nadaguides.com
www.edmunds.com
www.autosite.com
www.vmrintl.com
www.carsdirect.com
www.hemmings.com
www.carpoint.msn.com

#12 ·
Why not take it to some car shows with a good for sale sign made up for it- detailing Origonal owner, 17k orig miles, all documentation, etc etc...

That car looks AMAZING... You should have no trouble finding someone to buy it.

You will need to decided on a price though... If you don't have an idea of what you want- the you will get lowballers talking to you wasting your time.

That car should EASILY bring between $10k-$14k

#13 ·
It's too bad your dad is still planing on selling it...why don't you buy it from him, take a loan out if you have to, have your dad cosign, and keep it in the family! If not make sure who ever buys it is gonna appreciate what it is and takes good care of it. It would be a real shame if it winds up in the wrong hands :cry:

#14 ·
I have a nada classic book. It was good thru april of this year. it shows low-2475,avg-5775,high-12650. It adds 20% for the SS pkg and 10% for factory air. Form the pic's i would say it will go high book,that comes too $16445.00. Hope this helps.

#16 ·
10k is to low for this Elcamino. 13-14k is more like it. I attend 3-4 auto auctions every week in the KY area, now there's not alot of elcamino's that run thru but what i've seen if this elcamino is nice as is it looks and the miles are right it will bring these kind of figure's.

#17 ·
I guess we'll find out when he sells it. I'll stand by my estimate...for the record I'm not saying the car isn't very well kept and in mint condition, just that the market might not bear what you think it will. There's not a huge demand for the 4th gen Elkys yet. If you find the right buyer, that's great...you'd stand to get more than I quoted you. I sold a 1973 Laguna Chevelle (about as rare as a '76 SS) with 56k on the clock for $3k...very few of them were made and granted it wasn't in as good a shape as the Elky, but the Nada value was far and away higher than what we got for it. A comparable '72 SS would have brought around $10k.

I hope he gets $13-14ks from it, but the voice of reason says $12k is about as much as can be expected for that year SS in stock shape in this economy. There was no big block available that year and the SS package was simply tires, wheels, guages, mirrors and stripes. The LM1-350 was rated 165 hp. There were 5163 SS's built so he has that going for him, but the SS package is only verifiable by the build sheet.

If he has the swivel buckets that will add considerably to the mix as they are rare as well, but I'm not sure if they were available in 76.

I wish him the best of luck in selling the car, but as I have been watching El Camino values for the last five years, I wanted to give him a realistic estimate of what to expect when he sells...hope for his sake I am wrong.

#18 ·
I just bought a '75 SS earlier this year and paid $8000 for it, has 53k miles. Swivel buckets, 400 SBC, original drivetrain, rust free (except under for the hole under the battery!).

I know some are saying more than that but all said, 4th gens are just not bringing as much as you would think.

#21 ·
Ok continue...please? This is about the 3rd time that something really old has just popped back up in this subforum. Both other times by new members. And my reason for the question (research) is that when I look at this 'Parts For Sale' sub forum it only contains 6 pages that today just go back as far as June of this year! I'm trying to find out how this even happens. There was a split done a few years ago to seperate 'Cars For Sale' and 'Parts For Sale' and some things disappeared into computer oblivion when that was done..........So how did you come across this just reading today?

Thanks! :beer:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.