El Camino Central Forum banner

What's my 10 bolt gear ratio stock 76 elcamino?

12K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  bowtietruck 
#1 ·
:secret::secret::secret:Hey anyone, not sure if I'm even on here , first chat , I need to know what the gear ratio is in my 76 elcamino it's a factory 10 bolt, I just dropped a new 350 with a wild cam ,real solid , Dino tested edelbrock rpm combo package , I would recommend, but the rearend is so high geared I'm running 50 in first and it's just getting into the powerband and I'm already switching gears, not much off the line.

#2 ·
Welcome, you are definitively on here now.

The stock rear end in my 77 is an open 2:56 10 bolt. It is the same gen as your 76 so they should be the same. As far as I know this was the base rear-gear. Tore into mine a couple years ago, its hard to see in the pick but the ratio is 16:41 which = 2.56.

#4 ·
To check what you have jack up the rear end and mark your tire somewhere.
rotate two revolutions and count the times the rear pinion at the joint rotates.
2.42 2.73(350 cid) and 308(307 cid) are the most popular for an A body.

#5 ·
Just a probably crazy thought.
My freind is into monster trucks,
and he puts 3/4 ton axles with 4.56 and 411s in them and then complains
that his truck screams on the freeway.
Than he has to go to a 44 inch monster tire before hes comfortable on the freeway.
It might be worth trying if a 14 inch rim will fit over a 15 inch hub
its only a inch bigger.
And the bolt patterns the same .
Might be worth a set of junk yard tires and rims just to see how they run.
A set of 205s might put you in your power band.
You dont have a garage,Are you sporting those big tall getto rims?
Your not doing your self any favors if your trying to hook up.
Im trying to find a set of deep dish wide rims for mine.
But its a 14 inch.
It will also shift the weight to the rear.
We used to unbolt our sway bars to yank the front tires of the ground.
We were kids ,It was cool. LOL
Im thinking of cutting my rallys in half and putting in a spacer
and slapping a set of low pro slicks .
I love seeing street slicks sticking out of wheel wells
even if you have to beet them up.LOL

#8 · (Edited)
Do you have a tach? Get it up to 65 or so in last gear, take a tach reading and get your rear tire outer diameter, go here http://www.crawlpedia.com/rpm_gear_calculator.htm
enter your speed,rpm,and tire diameter then just keep changing the gear ratio up or down til the rpm matches your tach reading this will get you pretty close if not dead on. Hope this helps. Whoops just noticed this was a 2013 post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.