El Camino Central Forum banner

driveshaft question

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  PaPa Johns 77 
G
#1 ·
Some time back I installed a 700R4 into my '87, it originally had the METRIC 200 in it. I had to shorten the driveshaft 3 inches and I thought all was well. I recently swapped in a 3:73 posi out of an '86 Monte Carlo and now I get a slight vibration at high speed. The shaft must be just a tad out of balance which wasn't noticeable with the 2:40 gears. I also have the shaft out of the Monte Carlo, is there any chance that shaft would be the proper length?
Thanks.

G
#4 ·
u joints are oriented proper and the differential was never apart, it is "from the factory" set up. Like I said, this was not an issue until the lower gears started spinning the driveshaft faster. Does anyone know if the El Camino & Monte Carlo shafts are the same length?

#11 ·
All drive shafts have a harmonic speed at which they will "wobble". Having higher gears will make it show up at a lower speed. the best way to alter it to a higher rpm is to change the material to a lighter weight shaft --as in aluminum or carbon fiber....It may be perfectly balanced and just be the harmonic doing it. remember the El camino drive shaft is longer than and other---short of trucks, and they usually use a two peice driveshaft to avoid the harmonic there. This is a fairly common complaint on a long wheel base vehicle...........Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.