El Camino Central Forum banner

Custom Enclosure for Elky

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  MOES86ELK 
#1 ·
Hey... i saw a thread on here for ideas on putting subs n speaker boxes in the smugler's compartment and i posted a question that nobody replied to unfortuneitly. Hopefully ill have better luck here :D Anyways, i have a 85'LS, LOVE the damn thing to pieces. But - For all of you out there that have put custom enclosures in ur carz, im having trouble finding the dimentions on where to fit the box. I measured something like, 20 1/2" x 56" (or somet5hing close to 56). Lemme know if im on the right track!!! thanks

#2 ·
ok, i have thought about the same but i was thinking instead of making a box that fits in the hole, just use the hole for the box, make the piece that the speakers bolt too and seal it to the where no air leaks from the compartment, then u could make a trim pice to put on top of that for looks....thats my crazy idea but makin a box to fit in might be easier except for the hump in the back might cause som problems.....

#3 ·
Good question as i am about to do this..
I was considering getting 1 10' sub and 2 6X9's and making one box for all.
I have 2 ideas
To put it on the floor behind the seats and put the 10inch sub on the hump and the 2 6X9's on either side of the tranny hump.
Or make a box that fits in the compartment and have the speakers mounted where they are facing the front of the car.

Anybody have any other solutions to getting speakers and still having access to the compartment?

-Eric

#4 ·
your best bet is definately going to be to mount the speakers n sub on a box fit to your enclosure and "aim ur speakers to the front of the car". That is personally what i would do just for the looks alone. The smugglers compartment is fairly UGLY! You gots to cover it up with something pretty. Besides, dont u want them babies behind your head? Who cares if you go deaf in like...2-3 years...

#5 ·
I built 2 separate enclosures for some Infinity 6 1/2" components - don't have a pic right now, but I'll try to post if anyone's interested. I mounted these boxes on the rear bulkhead. I put an 8" Bazooka tube (unpowered)in the smuggler's box in the mostly unusable area behind the passenger seat and mounted an amp on the rear bulkhead also.

I was pleasantly surprised at the sound. I had heard Bazookas before and wasn't terribly impressed, but this setup produces just the kind of bass I like - tight, hard-hitting, but not boomy. Obviously, this is not enough sub if you're into hip-hop, but for my old man tastes, it works well. As you can see, I still have plenty of room for a jack, tools, fire extinquisher, and other assorted crap.

#6 ·
i have put bucket seats out of a 90 or 91 camaro in my elky and there is alot of room behind the seats in the floorpan area..idk how much there is with the stock bench or other bucket seats...im sure u could put truck style sub boxes there and maybe put the 6x9's somewhere towards the middle mount them on the metal above the compartment somehow....i can just think of so many different ways since there is quite a bit of space....as for eric's question, u could build a box for the 10 that took up only one side of the comparment and put the 6x9's behind the seats in the floor...u wouldnt neccessarily need the sub centered in the car be cause its small space it would really make that much of a difference.... will yall check out my post named Engine Help?!?!?!?! if u get time....

MattNificent

#9 ·
If you plan on using the smuggler's compartment for sub enclosure, there are several things to consider. First, if you are going to build a custom enclosure to house your subs and your 6x9s, you'll need to cre8 the proper air space according to the specs of your speakers AND the 6x9s will need their own area for displacement. Also, if you're going to just make a wall and use the rest of the existing smuggler's compartment for the enclosure, you'll need a dampening matterial (i.e. Dynamat) to keep the distortion and rattling levels down.

Another consideration is amp placement. Where do you plan on placing your amp? This doesn't seem like a hard question to answer, but, with all of the wiring involved, you really should take this into consideration. Maybe even make a spot for it on the enclosure.

Also, plan ahead! If you are thinking of upgrading in the future, be sure your not stuck with a limited enclosure. Even if you don't have the fundage for it now doesn't mean you won't have it l8er and will want to upgrade. Who knows, you may want to put some 15"s in there instead of the 12"s you currently have. :cool:

I know a lot of people may want their subs right behind their heads, however the smuggler's compartment has it's big opening at the bottom. Make use of it. Some subs may require the additional space and that's, actually, the best place to put them. One thing NOT to do is just put speakers just where ever they'll fit. A system with good SQ will not produce it's potential without proper placement. Do some homework!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.