El Camino Central Forum banner

Custom Subwoofer Enclosure

15K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  83elky209 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
Have visited the site ina while, but here goes...... I want to install a 12" sub into the back of my 79' el camino, but nobody i've found sells an enclosure that goes over the driveline hump behind the seats. Does anybody have any ideas, or knows of someone who makes an enclosure that would work??? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank You, Guitargod2811

#3 ·
i am in the same boat you are. i want one that will fit behind the cover for the smugglers box. there is a few shop around here but they all want too much to build one so i am getting a friend to build me one he works for one of the shops. the box will have be a band pass with the sub pointing down.very compact box height wise but wide

#6 ·
I too am looking into a custom subwoofer installation for my 80 Camino. I currently have a simple piece of plywood cut to shape with the amp and subs mounted, but I am looking into a fiberglass installation that covers the entire back, lower half of the compartment. If interested in Fiber, check out Fiberglass He's got some really great tips and how to's on creating fiberglass installations. If I get to it this summer I will be sure to post my own documentation of my sounddomain site. As far as someone mass producing something to insert into the back, I believe OPGI used to make something that had some 6x9’s or it or something, but I am not sure anymore. 8)

G
#7 ·
I know what you guys are goin through, its really tough to find space for subs and things in an el camino, but the good news is that it really doesn't take a lot to make yours sound good. You don't need more than one 10 inch sub but a lot of people do more just for fun, I will too. I would avoid having a company build your enclosure though because it will be expensive. They really aren't that hard to build. I've done a few with one of my friends and as long as you're sure to seal up your sub box really well its air tight you'll be all set. Good luck.

#8 ·
Camino01216 said:
I too am looking into a custom subwoofer installation for my 80 Camino. I currently have a simple piece of plywood cut to shape with the amp and subs mounted, but I am looking into a fiberglass installation that covers the entire back, lower half of the compartment. If interested in Fiber, check out Fiberglass He's got some really great tips and how to's on creating fiberglass installations. If I get to it this summer I will be sure to post my own documentation of my sounddomain site. As far as someone mass producing something to insert into the back, I believe OPGI used to make something that had some 6x9’s or it or something, but I am not sure anymore. 8)
That guys site was really cool. Made me feel like I could do it myself!

My only question is how do you estimate how much space you have just created ( or are about to create) using his methods? I mean I don't want to make a box, doing it his way, for say a 12" sub and end up not having enough internal airspace.

#9 ·
wood and fiberglass

The best way that I have been able to come up with is to use a combination of both wood and fiberglass. I am going to build a wood enclosure for the subs so i get can the sealed box air space I need, and then fiberglass over top to create the front of the boxed area. I cant really think of any other way to do it. But this is a good Sub Box Calculator. Otherwise, i might just be misunderstanding your question presented earlier.

#13 ·
I built my first box in the summer and Mr. Marv was nice enough to provide excellent advice which helped out alot. Now I want to build another box just for the hell of it. I only put in a 8" in a ported box and it smokes some of my buddies single 10's. I would suggest doing it yourself, you could make something to fit two twelves. And fiberglass would be usefull and creative. Check out the 12volt.com or fiberglassforums.com...two very good sites, all your answers can be answered using these sites.

good luck

#14 ·
I know there is a company that makes a speaker enclosure that fits perfectly behind the seat of our elkys. It is custom made to slide in behind the back seat curtain however I can't remember who makes them. If anyone remembers who makes these please let me know thanks, Daniel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.