El Camino Central Forum banner

700R4 Shifter Issue..

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  goodcruiser 
#1 ·
Surely someone has solved this issue by now....

I pulled a 3 speed metric transmission out of a 79SS with a floor shift.
Then installed a 700R4.

It appears when I pull the floor shift all the way back I am still two detents short of first gear on the transmission.

Park, reverse, and neutral match up, at least on the shift indicator, on the instrument display.

I'd like to keep the original console if at all possible.
Is there a solution to this problem. :dontknow:

Arnie

#2 ·
what trans shift bracket do you have? the one that comes out of the side of the trans i mean. theres the one that centers on the shaft and one that sits sort of off center. for the allignment problem it sounds like you have the wrong one. even when properly alligned though with that 3 speed shifter youll never get the trans in first. (detent wise. it wont affect how it shifts or what gear it starts in) B&M shifters are made to go in place of factory shifters and maintain the factory look. a few of tyhem are even designed for use with overdrive units.

#3 ·
First if you want to keep the indicator you'd have to mark it different, but second and more importantly it may not let get go all the way back to first. You usually lose park if you get 1st
I cut out my console and used the shifter cover that came with the B&M so I could get all the gears.
I think thats what your asking?
Donny

#5 ·
The stock shifter will not reach first. I have heard folks using a shifter out of an F-body. For the indicator, they make a plate that "covers" the PRND2L and now indicates PRND321. You can find them used on Ebay sometimes, and I think MikesMontes.com carries them.

#6 ·
Does anyone know if you can fit the B&M shifter for the 700R4 inside the floor console of a 79 Elky SS. ???

Has anyone done this......

#8 ·
I'm thinking of going with a B&M Megashifter to get all 4 gears if I can make it fit inside the original floor console. It looks like it will work with a little effort although I am not sure which model # is the better choice.

Perhaps a call to B&M on Monday to hear their recommendation will clear this up.

#9 ·
I agree that with your combination, there may not be a good reason to ever need the shifter to put it into low. You may need to do it to check line pressure, but you can do that by manipulating the trans linkage with a wrench

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.