NooB

Name: Ray
Year: 1964
Model: El Camino
Region: 16(CO,MT,WY,UT)
NECOA #: 46954
RaZar will become famous soon enough
Default Old vet motor

Ok this is the deal .i picked up this 65 vet motor..it's got camel back heads..polished crank ..very low miles the cills mike out great .got the KB Pistons .hade the heads dun 202s all fresh ..my Q is should I go with the old school carb or FI...and I am running a duntov set up..a 303 duntove
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2017, 06:29 PM
NooB

Default Haha

Sorry bout that guys ...I have allways run mopar.im new a Chevy guy ...but I love them all
Old 01-02-2017, 06:38 PM
NooB

BTW I am running 4 speed...

Old 01-02-2017, 07:35 PM

Master Wrench

Name: Brandon
Year: 1984
Model: Conquista
Region: 12(MO,OK,KS)
NECOA #: 20278
84elcoconquista will become famous soon enough
Garage

You may find this interesting. After seeing this, I wished I could afford fuel injection!

Pretty cool comparison.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:00 PM
ZERO MPG

Master Wrench

Name: Robert
Year: 1987
Model: Conquista
Region: 18(CA)
NECOA #: 18458
HKDUP87 has a brilliant future
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaZar View Post
Ok this is the deal .i picked up this 65 vet motor..it's got camel back heads..polished crank ..very low miles the cills mike out great .got the KB Pistons .hade the heads dun 202s all fresh ..my Q is should I go with the old school carb or FI...and I am running a duntov set up..a 303 duntove
Save your money go carb. and tune it with an Auto Meter Wide Band A/F Gauge and a Vacuum Gauge.

AutoMeter 4379 Ultra-Lite Wide Band Air Fuel Ratio Kit; 2 1/16 in.; 10:1-17:1 Ratio; Silver Dial Face w/Digital Display; Brushed Aluminum Bezel; Red LCD w/Red; Yellow; Green Segment;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

I have learned to never characterize any of my cars as fixed....they are just temporarily between malfunctions. .....Dan ( old_coot)

Knowledge before $$$$ is my new philosophy!!!!!!
Old 01-03-2017, 07:40 AM

Master Wrench

Year: 1967
Region: 15(AZ,MN)
NECOA #: 13944
Marv D has a reputation beyond reputeMarv D has a reputation beyond repute

Not trying to burst any bubbles, just it always amazes me how many 'vette' motors there are out there for sale. There are more 'vette' motors out there than there were 'vettes'!!! Assuming this one had the stamping on the pad that verifies it really a L84 solid lifter FI motor that went into vettes...

So what we got if it is truely a 1965 L84 motor the ID pad will verify. Lets assume you have traced the stamping and casting clock and verified....
What we got is a Early small journal forged crank( good) , rods with the small rod bolts (bad), and sounds like someone has replaced the TRW 11:1 forged pistons with a set of KB pistons. (IMO could be VERY bad)
Have you verified the deck clearance?? MANY of the builder KB pistons are a reduced pin height putting the piston 0.040"+ down the hole, and leave a 0.080 - 0.120"+ quench even with a 0.020" steel shim head gasket.
None of the early small journal blocks are 4 bolt, but that is of minor concequence for practical use (street)

L76, L79, L84,,, these WERE some of the most powerfull smallblocks (HP to cubic inches) to come out of Detroit for many decades to come. BUT running 11:1 compression today with unleaded crap fuel available isn't gonna be fun. And reducing the compression with a piston swap is going to KILL the HP. The L84 solid cam is intended for 4000-6500 RPM really intended for road-racing, and high RPM use (not real street happy)

What have you verified in stamping and casting numbers that tells us what we are working with? I'll be honest,, if it truely IS a 65 L84 motor,, I'd sell that thing to a Corvette restorer and take the bucks and go buy a motor more fitting to todays fuels and street driving.

But that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.....

I just finished reviewing my social security statement and thanks to the current administrations handling of my SS funds,,,, I only have to work until noon on the day of my funeral
Old 01-03-2017, 11:51 AM
Master Wrench

Name: Paul Johnson
Region: 9 (IN,KY,MI)
NECOA #: 65705
paulj will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Not trying to burst any bubbles, just it always amazes me how many 'vette' motors there are out there for sale. There are more 'vette' motors out there than there were 'vettes'!!! Assuming this one had the stamping on the pad that verifies it really a L84 solid lifter FI motor that went into vettes...

So what we got if it is truely a 1965 L84 motor the ID pad will verify. Lets assume you have traced the stamping and casting clock and verified....
What we got is a Early small journal forged crank( good) , rods with the small rod bolts (bad), and sounds like someone has replaced the TRW 11:1 forged pistons with a set of KB pistons. (IMO could be VERY bad)
Have you verified the deck clearance?? MANY of the builder KB pistons are a reduced pin height putting the piston 0.040"+ down the hole, and leave a 0.080 - 0.120"+ quench even with a 0.020" steel shim head gasket.
None of the early small journal blocks are 4 bolt, but that is of minor concequence for practical use (street)

L76, L79, L84,,, these WERE some of the most powerfull smallblocks (HP to cubic inches) to come out of Detroit for many decades to come. BUT running 11:1 compression today with unleaded crap fuel available isn't gonna be fun. And reducing the compression with a piston swap is going to KILL the HP. The L84 solid cam is intended for 4000-6500 RPM really intended for road-racing, and high RPM use (not real street happy)

What have you verified in stamping and casting numbers that tells us what we are working with? I'll be honest,, if it truely IS a 65 L84 motor,, I'd sell that thing to a Corvette restorer and take the bucks and go buy a motor more fitting to todays fuels and street driving.

But that's just me. Your mileage may vary.
Back in the mid 60's Honest Charley sold FI short blocks for around 250 and 202 heads for 100 bucks. No, they weren't out of a vette but....
Old 01-11-2017, 02:12 PM
Twisted Wrench

Name: Carl Fox
Year: 1977
Model: El Camino Classic
Region: 5 (NC,SC)
NECOA #: 75585
Fox C. will become famous soon enough
Garage
Default Big Time Small Block Fan

Just for reading pleasure, I wanted to give a little input. A few years ago I traded my 406 ATK dirt bike (after it back fired and threw me over the handlebars, fracturing my heel and spraining my ankle... 406 2-stroke is no joke) for a 1969 Med. journal 327 short block. I didn't get the original 461 heads as they had been used on one of his late models, but he gave me three 370 heads (Pontiac 300hp/350 heads, used in the Chevy powered Firebirds). I did get the original 461 high-rise intake, and it still has a Duntov 30/30 cam in it. I also have an original Holley 770cfm Vac, secondary, but I think I'll use the 850cfm Carter Quadra-Jet I recently overhauled.
I plan to build this engine for my 77 Elky. Will need a lot more stall and have to go much lower in my rear gear than I've had for a daily driver. The biggest thing keeping me from starting the build is the cost of the pistons. I plan to shoot some nitrous to it, so forged is a must. I have not found flat-tops with the required 1.675 compression height, I'll have to opt for 7.5cc domes to keep the 11:1 compression as factory. I want to keep it as near original as possible. In it's day, this was a 365hp monster of a small block.
My buddy just took a 430hp/355ci iron-block out of his S10, and dropped in an LS... I'm not going that route... I get much more satisfaction from being competitive with 48 year old know how. "Old School Rules"...
Old 01-11-2017, 03:37 PM
Site Contributor

Master Wrench

Name: Joe L.
Year: 1971
Region: 3 (DE,NJ,PA)
NECOA #: 52961
xlchjoe is a name known to all
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox C. View Post
...A few years ago I traded my 406 ATK dirt bike (after it back fired and threw me over the handlebars, fracturing my heel and spraining my ankle...
Didn't mommy tell you to kick through and hold kicker down till it either starts or finishes motion?

And I will not be commanded
And I will not be controlled
And I will not let my future go on
Without the help of my soul

71 Camino
02 Z28
03 Blazer
11 Vette
11 Fatboy

Old 01-11-2017, 04:28 PM

Master Wrench

Name: arthur
Year: 1984
Region: 14(AR,LA,MS)
NECOA #: 3532
84withzz4 will become famous soon enough

I'm testing my memory here. I think the really good Duntov cam part number ended in 098. Local Chevy parts dept could not keep them in stock. The valve setting was 8 & 16. it really had that thump, thump, thump sound. I later ran the 30/30 cam. I didn't care for it at all! switched back....
Veterans Administration retired 1967-1997
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Postal Code
Required
Street Address
Complete, verifiable Street or other address required (Hidden)
City
Your city or town
State or Province
Required
Location area within State
Which selection best describes the area of the State that you live in.
Country
Required
NECOA Region
Required
Year of Vehicle
Required
Make of Vehicle
Required
Model of Vehicle
Required
Real Name
Required. Your real name to be shown in your posts and profile.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.