Master Wrench

Name: terryy
Year: 1986
Model: El Camino SS
Region: 10(IL,MN,WI)
NECOA #: 38521
choowy will become famous soon enough
Garage

owner posted the opposite side of the ''tips'' it dont look like the ones on the members car pics . and awfully pricy dont youz think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2016, 04:36 PM
IROC-S Pace Car #001

Master Wrench

Name: E-Man
Year: 1985
Model: El Camino
Region: 6 (FL)
NECOA #: 4020
E-Man is a jewel in the rough
Garage

I would say those were probably produced after El Camino production had already ended. Likely they were produced when Choo Choo was still selling Elky products in the 90s or even the 2000s. I say that because the original production side exhaust they installed on new El Caminos had a different outlet...the original run outlets were made of stainless with four square pieces on an angle cut, that were welded to a round collector (pic below). Those probably still are NOS side pipes, but most likely were produced years later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:12 PM
Motor Mouth

Name: Gary Brittingham
Year: 1982
Region: 4 (MD,VA)
NECOA #: 43626
Kimchoc will become famous soon enough

Are you saying that original Choo Choo exhaust had the four outlets? and that the one outlet was produced AFTER Choo Choo stopped converting? Is that correct?

yeah, pricey. These cars are not all that.
2000 Blazer
1982 El Cam
1985 El Cam project
1986 Choo Choo
NAISE certified late '70s-mid '80s Chevy dealerships
Old 12-10-2016, 01:18 PM

Master Wrench

Name: EaR
Year: 1966
Region: 18(CA)
NECOA #: 21184
fauxrs has a reputation beyond reputefauxrs has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

An awful lot of money for what appears to be little more than fiberglass rocker extensions and a pair of chrome exhaust tips if you ask me.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:42 PM
Master Wrench

Garage
Default choochooexhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxrs View Post
An awful lot of money for what appears to be little more than fiberglass rocker extensions and a pair of chrome exhaust tips if you ask me.
I agree , somthin aint right ,, the other retailer guy has the shields for $169. no tips . this guy has the tips but looks as if they were made in a shop. Maybe the shields were authentic , but I have my doubts on the tips . heck I even can make those . A big thanks to those with knowledge that looked here . You may have saved someone some cash .not me I use plastic , ha
Old 12-10-2016, 01:51 PM
Motor Mouth

Yeah, I was thinking the corvette tips are pretty **** close should I need to fab some. And those are a dime a dozen. I could pay the guys at Fantom Works to make some identical to the orginals, and not pay that kind of money. good lord.
But, this is America's free enterprise system at its best, or worst, depending on whether your the needer or the haver. Lol
Old 12-10-2016, 01:57 PM
Master Wrench

Garage

good idea , on the vette , and yes ,if yoou find a needer I bet that Bridge is still for sale , blahahaa
Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:35 PM
IROC-S Pace Car #001

Master Wrench

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimchoc View Post
Are you saying that original Choo Choo exhaust had the four outlets? and that the one outlet was produced AFTER Choo Choo stopped converting? Is that correct?

yeah, pricey. These cars are not all that.
That is what I'm assuming. The originals have one collector that have four angle cut square exits like the pic above. The pic I posted above are the original side pipes from 1985 that came on my IROC. I also have a spare set in storage that look the same as the ones on eBay, but I bought them years later. If the pipes on eBay were NOS original ones like mine has on the IROC, maybe his price would be in the ballpark as those are hard to find for sale by themselves not on a car. But for what they are (most likely later production that are very different from the ones installed on new vehicles), I think he's a little high on price.

The collector car market is always changing. Ten years ago it was fairly easy to pick up a nice Choo Choo for under 10k. Now you're gonna have to spend more. I can recall at least ten Choo Choos that have sold for over 20k in the last five years. Will they ever draw '69 Camaro money...absolutely not. But they are steadily rising over the last 10 years and will continue to go up. IMO they already draw more money than most Monte Carlo SSs and Camaros from the 80s, so if you look at it from that perspective they're not doing too bad. People are always searching for original Choo Choo steering wheels, train emblems, side pipes, etc. I'm curious to see what their values will be in another 10 years. Not everybody can afford Superbirds, Hemi Cudas, and LS6 Chevelle's…there's a market for middle-upper class collector cars too.

Last edited by E-Man; 12-10-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:52 PM
Master Wrench

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
That is what I'm assuming. The originals have one collector that have four angle cut square exits like the pic above. The pic I posted above are the original side pipes from 1985 that came on my IROC. I also have a spare set in storage that look the same as the ones on eBay, but I bought them years later. If the pipes on eBay were NOS original ones like mine has on the IROC, maybe his price would be in the ballpark as those are hard to find for sale by themselves not on a car. But for what they are (most likely later production that are very different from the ones installed on new vehicles), I think he's a little high on price.

The collector car market is always changing. Ten years ago it was fairly easy to pick up a nice Choo Choo for under 10k. Now you're gonna have to spend more. I can recall at least ten Choo Choos that have sold for over 20k in the last five years. Will they ever draw '69 Camaro money...absolutely not. But they are steadily rising over the last 10 years and will continue to go up. IMO they already draw more money than most Monte Carlo SSs and Camaros from the 80s, so if you look at it from that perspective they're not doing too bad. People are always searching for original Choo Choo steering wheels, train emblems, side pipes, etc. I'm curious to see what their values will be in another 10 years. Not everybody can afford Superbirds, Hemi Cudas, and LS6 Chevelle's…there's a market for middle-upper class collector cars too.
Thank for this great post .I have been watching the market worried we did the right thing . Oh did I fail to mention that my wife cashed in her IRA for me to buy ''choowy''. Now that is TRUE love .The original owner had passed away and I have since kept his dream car alive .I think we were meant to be .The wife and the El Camino.
After reading this post to her I think I need to carpet the garage .
Old 12-11-2016, 01:48 PM
Motor Mouth

Agreed Eman. If you can't have the 4 cut outs, I still like the vette tips as a sub. The eBay ones look like a cheap after thought. Wonder if there were license issues. " Substantially different" I bet would be the logic.
Yes, good thread.

What was the original choo choo exhaust setup? Y pipe, cc, split, muffler each side? Or actuall duals with 2 cc, muffs?
I must be missing a lot as all I have are the tips and two different lengths of pipes attached, fibreglass covers....

I like that setup on your pic. Muffler shop? Cost?
Thanks....
Old 12-11-2016, 07:45 PM
IROC-S Pace Car #001

Master Wrench

Garage

The original side pipes installed by Choo Choo were non-functional, but were capable of being functional; meaning they could be hooked up. I assume they were not connected at Choo Choo to avoid either a factory warranty issue, or possibly a government violation. The side pipes on my IROC were made functional when it was actually being used on the track as a Pace Car, hence the engine soot inside the exits. But they were disconnected when it was retired and the factory installed exhaust was put back on.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:53 PM
IROC-S Pace Car #001

Master Wrench

Garage

Underside showing the original exits
Old 12-11-2016, 09:44 PM
Motor Mouth

Ah. Well that's an interesting bit of history. Do you think the original was a single exiting the normal place behind the passenger tire?
Old 01-11-2017, 04:56 PM

Master Wrench

Name: arthur
Year: 1984
Region: 14(AR,LA,MS)
NECOA #: 3532
84withzz4 will become famous soon enough

yes. Single exhaust, right side. As E-Man said they were bolted on, non-funtional items.
Veterans Administration retired 1967-1997
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Postal Code
Required
Street Address
Complete, verifiable Street or other address required (Hidden)
City
Your city or town
State or Province
Required
Location area within State
Which selection best describes the area of the State that you live in.
Country
Required
NECOA Region
Required
Year of Vehicle
Required
Make of Vehicle
Required
Model of Vehicle
Required
Real Name
Required. Your real name to be shown in your posts and profile.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.