Help for trouble shooting for a "no start" - Page 3 - El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums
El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums

Ground Up
User Name
Password

Old 01-06-2017, 08:34 AM
Master Wrench

Name: toyin
Year: 1984
Model: Conquista
Region: 20(HI)
NECOA #: 59257
toyinhawaii will become famous soon enough
Garage

well, after last night...It looks like I may not be getting enough fuel pressure. I went and rented the Diagnostic fuel pump kit @ A.Z. Hooked up the gauge and.... no PSI...not even on the first increment of 2 psi...so I checked my summit gauge with air pressure (from JJ)...and it reads...so then I checked the A.Z. gauge....it also reads. I went and hooked it up before the fuel filter and still nothing..it does have a small amount of pressure when I do put my thumb over the hose end but obviously not enough read 2psi. From the filter back to the top of the tank looks good..no restrictions. So I'll pump out what fuel I can out of tank (about 5 gals), drop the tank,pull out the pump and test pressure with just the pump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2017, 09:05 AM
Supporting Member

Master Wrench

Name: Mike
Year: 1985
Model: El Camino
Region: 17(NV)
NECOA #: 910
darbysan has a reputation beyond reputedarbysan has a reputation beyond reputedarbysan has a reputation beyond repute

Good work. The pump usually has a couple of culprits. 1) Split / disconnected hose. 2) Pump wired backwards ( pos and neg reversed). 3) just a bad pump. 4) some applications had a Pulse Inhibitor between the pump and the sending unit. If yours has that, get rid of it and just use hose. On the newer pumps, it's not needed. They tend to be a leaking point when old.

If you have to replace the pump, I've found the AC Delco EP381 to be very good, and also very quiet. Much quieter than the Walbro 255 I have in mine now.
'85 SS, Wicked Ruby Red, Gm Crate 350, Vortec heads,TPI, Serp, TES headers, Choo Choo nose, Acura Leather heated buckets, 2004 Gp Console and Shifter, 8.5 GN rear with 3.73, GN 200-4r, Craftec Tonneau w/ Electric release, Power Mirrors, Electronic HVAC, ZQ8 rims, Blazer Front brake upgrade, LS1 rear brake upgrade.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:58 AM
Master Wrench

Garage

AAAAHHHH....I think I found the problem....:

I think when searching for the pump I wanted to make sure it fit in the 1986 4.3 FI elky's sending unit and enough PSI, but I made sure I told the parts guys it was for a 94 caprice w/5.7 LT1

Napa guy a while back says "hey use the Delphi FE 0110 its from an 89 IROC Z and it also fits the caprice"...so this is what I have now.

The Delphi FE 0110 is for the 4.3 V8 in the caprice...10.5 amp/16gph

What I need is the Delphi FE 0114, its for the 5.7L in the caprice ......13 amp/27gph

I double checked this on rock auto (they list both), AutoZone, Napa online, this is probably the reason why I don't have enough pressure

Old 01-06-2017, 12:29 PM
Master Wrench

Name: JJ
Model: El Camino SS
Region: 13(TX)
NECOA #: 12122
JJLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeJJLT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Quote:
Pump wired backwards ( pos and neg reversed).
check that before dropping the tank..

what ever pump it is, it should make some pressure..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:49 PM
Supporting Member

Master Wrench

Name: Mike
Model: El Camino
Region: 17(NV)
NECOA #: 910
darbysan has a reputation beyond reputedarbysan has a reputation beyond reputedarbysan has a reputation beyond repute

The Fe110 should be a 50 PSI pump, while the FE114 should be about 60 PSI, according to the date at Rock Auto. Either one should be able to produce pressure at the fuel rail. The smaller one might run out of fuel at WOT or High RPM's, but it still should be able to run the vehicle at idle +.

Something is preventing fuel pressure from building- either wiring or internal connection of the pump to the sender.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:50 PM
Master Wrench

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJLT1 View Post
check that before dropping the tank..

what ever pump it is, it should make some pressure..

I'll double check that again...when I turn the key on, I do hear a faint humming noise coming from the tank...so, on the pump +/-...if it does happen to have the wires reversed it will still run? still pump? but probably not as suppose to be?

Last edited by toyinhawaii; 01-06-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:32 PM
Master Wrench

Garage

some, but not all motors will run/spin backwards when connected in reverse..
they'll run but wont make no pressure..

Old 01-10-2017, 08:36 AM
Master Wrench

Garage

I pulled the pump out of the tank and then sat it in a gallon gas container 1/2 full, hooked it up and a low/mild stream came out. Then I attached the pressure gauge up to it and the needle bumped up/down at around 4 PSI. Reversed the wires and it didn't even run. So then I hooked up my old MSD 2225 pump and the stream shot out, splashed into the container and got me wet...good thing I had glasses on. The pressure looked 5x's more powerful..i didn't check it with the gauge. I bought the FE 0110 on 10/3/16 I'll try to take it back to CARQUEST and get the FE 0114. Hopefully that is the problem.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:46 AM
Master Wrench

Garage

broke

i'v had good luck with ACDelco or Bosch pumps..

did the pump have a screen/strainer on it??

Old 01-10-2017, 10:41 AM
Master Wrench

Garage

Quote:
broke

i'v had good luck with ACDelco or Bosch pumps..

did the pump have a screen/strainer on it??

Yea, new sock, new tank, fresh gas, new lines and filter. I read the post yesterday about the counterfeit parts. So I took another good look at...the pump...writing on the box...seems correct to me, but it is made in China
Old 01-11-2017, 11:29 AM
Master Wrench

Garage

I picked up the Bosch 69225 from Napa and returned the Delphi 0110 to carquest last night. Out of the best ones available i got the 69225 because it had the lifetime warranty, A/C,Delphi and some others had 1yr. I hooked it up in the gallon gas container and the gas stream was pretty good..just like my MSD. so tonight i'll put it back in the tank, hook up the lines and hope that I get a good PSI reading and give it a crank and see if she starts. Can anyone find the specs on that Bosch 69225, I cant seem to find it on the good ol' World Wide Web. Oh, it aint made in China either..its made in merica...well south that is....Brazil to be exact...but....
Old 01-11-2017, 12:54 PM
Master Wrench

Name: Patrick
Region: 7 (AL,GA,TN)
NECOA #: 71482
pbr400 will become famous soon enough

One of my favorite scenes regarding a 'lifetime guarantee'...
http://www.landsalot.com/2015/05/13/tommy-boy-memes/

Patrick
Old 01-11-2017, 05:16 PM
Master Wrench

Garage

after going to 9 places looking for specs?? how can these people sell parts with no specs???

Specifications
All Bosch fuel pumps conform to an "OE or greater" standard for fit, form and function.
This means you get a long-lasting, high-performing pump that fits right the first time.

Electric Or Mechanical: Electric Internal Or External: In-tank
Product Features:
OE Fit
OE Form
OE Function

Quote:

Q:
how many Lph does this pump flow?
Asked on 1/24/2011 by Anonymous

Know the answer? Answer this question
1 answer
  • CUSTOMER CARE

A:
    The pump can flow 300 LPH and operates at 72.5 PSI.
    Answered on 2/2/2011 by Parts Guru Geo from AAP
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/b...9-p#fragment-2

and that 300 lph is probly free flow at 0 pressure.. its all in the details..

Old 01-12-2017, 06:43 AM
ZERO MPG

Master Wrench

Name: Robert
Year: 1987
Region: 18(CA)
NECOA #: 18458
HKDUP87 has a brilliant future
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbr400 View Post
One of my favorite scenes regarding a 'lifetime guarantee'...
http://www.landsalot.com/2015/05/13/tommy-boy-memes/

Patrick
That's about ones worth!!!!

(this post was written by a well used crash test dummy, on a closed course. No armadillos were harmed in the making of this post. Your mileage may vary. If you have a stiff upper lip lasting more than four hours, seek medical assistance. Reading this post may cause bleary eyes in men over 50, and is known to cause a significant reduction in brain cells....)

Knowledge before $$$$ is my new philosophy!!!!!!
Old 01-12-2017, 09:33 AM
Master Wrench

Garage

Quote:
after going to 9 places looking for specs?? how can these people sell parts with no specs???

Specifications
All Bosch fuel pumps conform to an "OE or greater" standard for fit, form and function.
This means you get a long-lasting, high-performing pump that fits right the first time.

Electric Or Mechanical: Electric Internal Or External: In-tank
Product Features:
OE Fit
OE Form
OE Function

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/b...9-p#fragment-2

and that 300 lph is probly free flow at 0 pressure.. its all in the details..

JJ...yea I saw that one to from Advance..i found that that was the norm for specs on the fuel pumps I was looking at......but anywhoo ...I got my 43.5 PSI at the rail, according to the fuel gauge.... ..cranked it over and she.....just cranked ..still no start...the injectors still aren't opening..plugs are still dry...but boy that baby want to start though..Yea I still tried the starting fluid but nothing.. and I still get 12.9 volts to all my injectors,so I guess my next step is testing with the NOID light set...was looking at what NAPA' offers and there are a few ...PN BK 7768081 and some by Owatonna Tool Company.. any suggestions on the "correct one to use"..got to take a look at them I guess and see which is best for my application.. Again, very strange that they all are not opening. I can understand after all most 10 yrs of not running that a combination of some may work..some may work about half way..some may
not work...but all not working!!!..i gotta gut feeling about some "kind of signal wire" isn't hooked up or something, but like I said , I had it running for short time the first time I installed it and there are a few wires coming out of the PCM not connected that there no need for but one that I recall, I think its the "fuel enable wire" but I traced it back to the cabin area..i think it was for the cruise control...but that one was disconnected from the beginning and it still started...I got fuel, I got air, I got oil but IDK about the coolant sensor..i don't think by just cranking it the coolant isn't circulating which may be is throwing a shut down signal..but that should not restrict the injectors from not opening..at least at this point.. but on a bright side, I'm narrowing it down with trouble shooting it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Postal Code
Required
Street Address
Complete, verifiable Street or other address required (Hidden)
City
Your city or town
State or Province
Required
Location area within State
Which selection best describes the area of the State that you live in.
Country
Required
NECOA Region
Required
Year of Vehicle
Required
Make of Vehicle
Required
Model of Vehicle
Required
Real Name
Required. Your real name to be shown in your posts and profile.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.