CaminKid's 69 / 99 Dually El Camino - Page 5 - El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums
El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums

Ground Up
User Name
Password

Old 11-17-2016, 04:56 PM
Director Region 22

Master Wrench

Name: Don
Year: 1987
Model: El Camino SS
Region: 22(CANADA (Ontario and East)
NECOA #: 14011
MR.CHEVY will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlchjoe View Post
same here,can't what to see the final chapter....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2016, 05:11 PM
Twisted Wrench

Name: CaminoKid
Year: 1969
Model: El Camino
Region: 13(TX)
NECOA #: 10085
Caminkid will become famous soon enough
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJLT1 View Post
lookin good Kid

is that a iron head LT1 ??

Yep, came out of an Buick Roadmaster. But, that was another story from a long time ago in galaxy far, far away...
Save
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Need to see more? Visit my website at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:02 PM
Twisted Wrench

Garage

Sometimes I cannot believe my fortuneÖ

Since I'm keeping the NV4500 manual transmission 5spd, I think it'd be a good idea to have a functioning emergency brake. I was looking at how to run the emergency brake cable and was surprised how well everything seemed to line up, shocked almost. I had to drill a hole in the front frame mount to pass the cable thru, once that was done the cable fit like it was designed for it. SWEET!

The original dually cables have an adjustment to them towards the rear, so I cut the adjuster screw and just made it a blunt end and used the U clip to connect it with the original dually cables. Iíll have to replace the El Camino cable as it was starting to fray in a spot.

From there I installed the overload spring perches. It was necessary to remove the front ones when we initially test fitted the body because they were in the way of the rear foot well (smugglers box). Since it was necessary to completely remove the foot well, I am able to leave the overload springs in the leaf spring pack and thus reinstall the overload perches.

I feel this really adds to the attitude of the ďDuallyĒ being able to keep the overloads. Truly keeping is a One Ton Dually El Camino!

I also installed the motor mounts on the frame and the rear tailgate strikers.

Hereís another teaser for those following along. I found these cool California style tow mirrors. I was able to test them up against the door and window frame and they'll fit nicely. I'll even be able to use the vent window. Another piece of attitudeÖ

Little by littleÖ

Chadd
Save

Old 12-13-2016, 06:56 PM
Twisted Wrench

Garage

Well, I haven’t posted for a while, but that doesn’t mean I’ve not made any progress.

I’m still amazed by the number of little things that keep surprising me. Who would have thought my flywheel from my 1999 7.4l one piece rear main would have bolted up to my 1969 396? I also installed a pilot bearing versus a bushing from 1999.

Next was the installation of the 1999 accessories, with an electric water pump (meaning no water pump pulley). The brackets all bolted right up to the 396 (two bolt holes were 3/8 vs 7/16) AND I was able to put an idler pulley to replace the water pump pulley. Now, I need to find the correct size belt.

Next, I installed my late 70’s something tilt steering column. The upper bearing in the column was shot, but a new bearing fixed that. With some minor grinding on the 1999 intermediate shaft, the column slipped together. I took off the U-shaped column bracket off the 69 column and swapped it over to the 70’s column and it bolted up to the original El Camino steering column dash mounts, amazingly it all lined up. It’s off by a half a degree, minor enough that I’m not going to worry about it.

You can see the column is almost rubbing the side of the firewall column hole, almost is good enough. I’ll have to make a new column support and cover.

Here's hoping the headers I have fit... ????????

I also installed the tailgate, mainly because I kept tripping over it.

Chad
Save
Old 12-14-2016, 01:13 AM
Site Contributor

Master Wrench

Name: Joe L.
Year: 1971
Region: 3 (DE,NJ,PA)
NECOA #: 52961
xlchjoe is a name known to all
Garage

"A" for Autstanding!

And I will not be commanded
And I will not be controlled
And I will not let my future go on
Without the help of my soul

71 Camino
02 Z28
03 Blazer
11 Vette
11 Fatboy

Old 12-14-2016, 12:22 PM
Senior Member Participating Member

Master Wrench

Name: Terry B.
Region: 18(CA)
NECOA #: 10110
EL S ONE is just really nice

Great job Chad. Do you have enough belt wrap on the crank pulley?
Original owner. "04" LS1.Built 4L60E. GN 8.5 3.73's.Detroit Tru-Track. Dual 2.5 Tubes,"H"pipe & Flowmaster 50's.Full SC&C suspension.C-5 brakes. Electric antenna. Zinc plated Spurving bearings.Maggy. C.A.R.B approved
Old 12-14-2016, 04:58 PM
Master Wrench

Name: joe leleux
Year: 1983
Model: Caballero
Region: 6 (FL)
NECOA #: 19307
jlcustomz is a name known to all

Looks like you're coming along nice.

Does look like the crank and alternator pulley would have better wrap with the tensioner pushing inwards, but I guess that's that system's design

FYI, not to make your camino dually build seem less unusual, but a saw someone in the middle east has a widebody 5th gen Camaro with dually wheels.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:23 PM
Twisted Wrench

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL S ONE View Post
Great job Chad. Do you have enough belt wrap on the crank pulley?
I hope so... This is something I'm wondering myself. The belt did wrap over 1/2 the crank pulley before. But, it also had AC compressor drag and now there is just a idler pulley there. There is hardly any resistance from the alternator, so now the power steering pump will be the biggest drag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcustomz View Post
Looks like you're coming along nice.

Does look like the crank and alternator pulley would have better wrap with the tensioner pushing inwards, but I guess that's that system's design

FYI, not to make your camino dually build seem less unusual, but a saw someone in the middle east has a widebody 5th gen Camaro with dually wheels.
WHAT??? Oh to heck with this project... LOL.

I tried flipping the tensioner around, but then is no longer applies pressure to the belt. I'd have to find another tensioner. But, if I could flip it around, this would provide better wrap around both the alternator pulley and the crank.

Save
Old 01-10-2017, 06:54 PM
Twisted Wrench

Garage

Got a lot done over the Christmas breakÖ Fuel tank, Hydro boost, front radiator support modified to mount to the frame and doors reassembled.

Iím using two different doors, one off the white El Camino and the other from the brown. These are the best of the 5 doors I have. The two blue doors are good, but not as nice as the white/brown ones. I ordered a weather strip kit for these. This is ultimately going to be parked outside and as such I want to make sure it stays water tight. So, my Dad and I disassembled the doors and installed new weatherstrips around the vent window, door run channels and door seals. That seal around the vent window was a PITA!

Winter is San Antonio is pretty nice this time of year and so, I was able to get some painting done. Iíve had a pint of POR15 squirreled away and was able to paint the floor and I decided to paint the firewall.

Painted floor:

Prior to painting the firewall, I wanted to install the hydro boost unit. I was hoping to retain the original dually brake system, specially since the 99 power steering pump will mount to the 396. This way I know the lines and everything will transfer over without any issue (hopefully). Iím also putting a healthy cam into the 396 and this way I wonít have to worry about not having vacuum.

I had to slightly modify the firewall to fit the booster. I drilled the hole bigger in order to fit the booster thru the hole in the firewall. The booster pushrod also had to be cut shorter and re-threaded to fit the El Camino U-shaped brake pedal adapter. I also had to drill the 4 matching holes in the firewall plate to the brake pedal bracket in order to bolt the booster to the firewall. All in all, Iím very pleased with the outcome. This way I retail the original master cylinder with the true ď1 tonĒ brake system.

I like of idea of when you open the hood everything will look new, but the body will retain its patina. Or at this moment is how Iím proceeding.

When I was using the 99 dually as a tow vehicle it had a transfer tank installed in the bed, this was an additional 38-gallon tank from an old G-van. Unfortunately, the El Camino tank was too wide to fit with the more narrower dually frame and because I cut 16 inches out of the frame (coincidentally where the original tank was) Iím not able to retain the original dually. As luck would have it, this old G-Van gas tank fits between the frame rails in the same position as the El Camino tank, just a lot longer straps...

The filler neck will be inside the bed. Iíll have to work on finishing the filler neck, but I have pretty cool idea for that. Now just to finish connecting the fuel lines to the electric fuel pump and the fuel system will be complete!

More to come...
Save
Old 01-10-2017, 07:01 PM
Master Wrench

Name: joe leleux
Year: 1983
Model: Caballero
NECOA #: 19307
jlcustomz is a name known to all

Vehicles don't care where their fuel tank came from , just that it works. 38 gal sounds pretty cool.
You definitely want to retain your hydroboost system. People pay good money to retrofit them for their benefits.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:53 AM
Director Region 6 (FL)

Master Wrench

Name: Lenny
NECOA #: 5891
Lenny Carey is a jewel in the rough

Man , what a project !! I wish I had some of the talent , imagination and perseverance that you and your dad have . When you have some free time and nothing going on , do you go out in the back yard and hand dig a swimming pool ?
Old 01-11-2017, 06:12 PM
Twisted Wrench

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny Carey View Post
Man , what a project !! I wish I had some of the talent , imagination and perseverance that you and your dad have . When you have some free time and nothing going on , do you go out in the back yard and hand dig a swimming pool ?
Ha... I have several nice shade tree's in my backyard and while I'd love a pool, I decided to have a patio instead. While I paid a professional to poor the concrete, I've decided I'd figure out something for patio furniture.

First off you have to have a fire pit. So, I threw this together with some spare junk laying around.

My Dad liked mine so much he asked for one himself. So, I made a second one. Just this one was painted a brighter color.

I have a third row bench out of a suburban that is EXTREMELY comfortable and works as a great couch, but I wasn't about to sit on the ground. I had to fab up a frame for it. Well, this frame can be detached in order to put the third row back into the burb... Now, I just need to figure out how I can leave it outside and not rot away. Maybe make a nice cover for it or something...

Working in the garage is my escape from reality. There is no politics, no pressure, no stress, just whatever I feel like tackling in the moment, radio playing my favorite tunes and just ignoring the world. Then Monday comes and it's back to the grind...

Last night after posting my update, I did a little research on how to make my 1999 CS-144 Generator working to keep the electrical system alive. Well, as luck would have it, this generator is internally regulated and all I need to install is a indicator light. Sweet... Charging system = Check!

More on the Radiator support later.
Save
Old 01-11-2017, 07:35 PM
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD

Master Wrench

Name: JAMES
Year: 1964
Region: 5 (NC,SC)
NECOA #: 19368
LOCKJAW is of outstanding character
Garage

Brother, I give you huge props for stepping into such a project. Like others, I look forward to seeing the completed truck. It looks like you have the skills to bring it off. Best of luck.
James

1964 restomod. Wht/red, full roller ZZ4, full MSD ignition, Muncie , QFT, Hookers, Flowmasters.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:06 AM
Director Region 6 (FL)

Master Wrench

Name: Lenny
NECOA #: 5891
Lenny Carey is a jewel in the rough

Lockjaw ( James ) , Good to see you back on the site and we hope that your move to the Carolinas works out well for you and your family . Gotta agree that the CaminoKid and his dad have a great project going and we would enjoy seeing updates . Hey , I would love a ride !
Old 01-16-2017, 03:43 PM
Twisted Wrench

Garage

Radiator support. This one had me and my dad a little perplexed. You see I want to retain the VERY LARGE dually radiator. While the 454 crank broke (donít ask), it never overheated in Texas while towing. That cooling system was A+. So, Iím hoping by installing this large radiator, an oil cooler adapter to this 396, electric water pump and dual cooling fans, Iíll keep this 396 from overheating.

After think this over during Christmas break we came up with a modification to the front frame and radiator support with whatís pictured below. The radiator fits and keeps the fenders in line with the body.

I notched the front frame and while I was working on the radiator support, my dad boxed in the front frame horns. After several test fittings, I welded the radiator support body mount tabs to the frame.

We cut the bottom off the support and welded 1 inch square tube extensions to give the depth needed to fit the radiator, this also serves as the front body mount support.

After everything was fitted, I finish welded everything and pulled out the rest of my POR15. I didnít realize this was a gloss, but Itís free (been sitting for 10+ years). Might as well use it up. So, I painted the firewall, inner fenders and radiator support. Iíd hate for all my fresh weld to rust. LOLÖ

I was also able to hang both doors and then install the front clip. Sorry, I don't have a picture of everything finally bolted to the body. I'll work on getting a couple for posterity. I cannot believe how nice the doors close. Since, I'm no body man I was expecting this to fight me. After a bit of adjustment the door closes very nice.

I've not finally bolted the front clip together since I'll likely pull the clip off to install the engine and trans. That'll be my next major accomplishment. Several minor things need to happen prior to that. Such as finish the fuel system (pump and lines), electrical system (this should probably a major accomplishment in of itself) and, and, and... I know I'm forgetting.

Well, just clad to have figured out how to mount the radiator support. Front clip is DONE!

Chad.
Save
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1969, dually el camino

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Postal Code
Required
Street Address
Complete, verifiable Street or other address required (Hidden)
City
Your city or town
State or Province
Required
Location area within State
Which selection best describes the area of the State that you live in.
Country
Required
NECOA Region
Required
Year of Vehicle
Required
Make of Vehicle
Required
Model of Vehicle
Required
Real Name
Required. Your real name to be shown in your posts and profile.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.