El Camino Central Forum banner

Who's the fastest elky on here?

7K views 42 replies 26 participants last post by  TexasElCamino 
#1 ·
mine runs mid 8's on a 10.5w tire 1/4 mile.

#6 ·
This topic is dear to my heart at the moment.

I have a mildly modified 454 (770 Holley, Performer RPM Heads and Manifold, Headers etc) in a 3rd Gen with 700-R4 Auto Trans, stock converter, a 3.55 posi rear end and fairly wide (about 10") BFG T/A's on 14 inch rims. No nitrous or blower or anything like that. Bottom end can roast the threads easily and the takeoff really sets me back in the seat, especially in 2nd gear. However, I have no idea what ET's or speeds I'd run in the quarter. No place local for me to go, and back roads with a stop watch is too risky, so it'll likely be a while before I can know for certain. I'd like to believe that the red rat will do better than high 13's, but for the moment there's no way to tell.

Anyone out there have a similarly rigged car with proven ET's?

#7 ·
200 MPH!

Hey Dennis68 I do not mean to doubt your word, but WOW 148 in a El Camino is hard to fathom. An El Camino is not exactly an aerodynamic shape. I presume you have the bed covered with a flat cover of some sort. I have had my Camino to 90 or so on a highway with a speed limit of 75 and it felt VERY unsteady at that speed. I don't have any spoilers and I have a open bed.

The old rule of thumb for a sports car like a Corvette or a Porsche is it takes 600 HP to hit 200 MPH. The Porsche Carrera GT has a over 600 HP and a very low coefficient of drag. It has all sorts of aerodynamic wings and sits VERY low to the ground. It can break 200 MPH and it only cost $465,000. It is the only Porsche ever sold in the USA for the street that can break 200 MPH.

I would bet no stock Corvette sold by Chevrolet for the street has ever broken 200 MPH. Very few Ferrari's can do 200 MPH. The list of vehicles worldwide that are capable of 200 MPH is very very small.

Now for a very long sentence. Assuming your Camino is VERY low to the ground in the front and has a 600 HP or more engine and every aerodynamic aid possible and you have great big do-dads between your legs and you have some very tall gears I can see 150 MPH as quite possible. Do not try for 200MPH unless you are at the salt flats in Utah. Many race cars that had wings and big spoilers have gone airborne.

Keep it on the ground!

#10 ·
Okay Mr.frogger or is it "fogger" no offense brother but you're gonna tell me you have an elky that will run 8's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!C'mon man......My best friend has a chevy rail drzgster that is just now breakin the 8.119 mark.I have an 86 elky with a 355 dart heads nice cam 750 holley and 4.56 gears and I'm guestimating my best time at about 11.65 in the quarter.....would you please elaborate :cool: .................back quiet...Shadow

#12 ·
With out time slip or any other proof I am going to claim that I have the fastest Caballero on the site. I joke I kidd. I have no idea what my car can run all I know is that it is faster than my previous El Camino which was a 16 second wonder. It was the worste of both worlds. Gas efficentcy of a V8 and the power of a 4cyl. I guess you just get lucky sometimes. Later- Matt

#13 ·
Why the doubting Thomas'?

mrFogger runs a 602 in a very, very fast 10.5" tire class. Do some research on this class.

Specs:

602 dart block big duke brodix heads-je 13:5.1 pistons-eagle h beam rods-callies crank-brodix intake-1250 barry grant dominator-2 bg 400 fuel pumps-wilson manifold fogger system 250 shot on a progressive timer-31 10.5 w m/t-jw p/g with pro brake and a 5500 convt. 9" with 456 gears adjustable ladder bars

Could you imagine getting your a$$ kicked by this though???

http://media.putfile.com/cpr797

John 8)

#14 ·
txbusa said:
Why the doubting Thomas'?

mrFogger runs a 602 in a very, very fast 10.5" tire class. Do some research on this class.

Specs:

602 dart block big duke brodix heads-je 13:5.1 pistons-eagle h beam rods-callies crank-brodix intake-1250 barry grant dominator-2 bg 400 fuel pumps-wilson manifold fogger system 250 shot on a progressive timer-31 10.5 w m/t-jw p/g with pro brake and a 5500 convt. 9" with 456 gears adjustable ladder bars

Could you imagine getting your a$$ kicked by this though???

http://media.putfile.com/cpr797

John 8)

Mr Fogger,
My deepest appologies...LOL!!!Yes that is the kinda combo to run 8's I did see your car last nite after I wrote my post ...Nice job man!!!I don't think I'll ever want to run 8's but I'll be happy with 11's.Thanx for the info.......Later Shadow

#15 ·
I've been at or over 140 in my 76 just recently. I was on a highway driving I didn't get there in 1/4 mile. It did scare me but it was on the road and it was holding fine. No float no shimmy. 383 700R4 3.73:1.

I haven't been back to the track for about two years but lots has changed in my Camino since then. I ran 10.XXX with a screwed up cam, a POS 350 THM trans and 2.73:1 peg leg rear gears.

An Elky can go 140 and with a T56 on the highway, with a good 400 Hp you can do 200 as far as the numbers go. Same way the Dodge Vipers do over 200 with only a 500 Hp V10. What a joke that is. But the viper can do it and so can an El Camino, just not common to see that happen in the 1/4 and probably not a Camino set up for street driving in the 1/4. I'd think. Maybe with the right amount of Nitrous you could do it with a street drivable Elky.

The final drive ratio on the Viper version of the T56 is .50 and 5th gear is .68. So even with a nice 3:73 or possibly even a 4.10 rear gear set it can be done. You might not like the ride it might scare the pants off you but I'd bet it can be done, 200 Mph that is. I think it could be possible with only 400 Hp. With a 502 it would be nothing but scary but it would happen.

#16 ·
200 MPH?

ElkyPete, I went looking on the internet for some specs on some of the state of the art cars available. I found several sites that were interesting. This one http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/carrera_gt.asp was very helpful.

The new Corvette Z06 has 500 HP and the factory only says over 190 MPH
The 2004 Viper has 500 HP it is listed at 190 MPH
The Ford GT has 500 HP and hits 205 MPH
The Mercedes SLR has 626 HP has hit 207 MPH
The Porsche Carrera GT has 605 HP and does 205 MPH
The Lambo Murcielago has 575 HP and does 205
The Ferrari Enzo has 660 HP and tops out at 218 MPH.

Go visit the web site and look at the pictures of all of those cars. All of them are very low to the ground and have very smooth bottom sides. They all have big wings and spoilers. They are all very aerodynamic, and very lightweight.

I have no idea how a El Camino rates on Dynamic drag. I feel sure it does not even come close to any of the cars listed above. Only the Ford GT has "only" 500 HP and breaks 200 MPH. A ford GT is a very low slippery shaped car.

The bottom line is very few cars on the planet can get to 200 MPH. All of them are low to the ground, aerodynamic and lightweight. That does not sound like an El Camino. Good luck on your quest for 200 MPH. Please don't try to do it on the highway.

#18 ·
and also by the way that IS a nice paint scheme on that Elkie funny car and the fact that its got an EC body on it I am sure makes it a hit here. Facts are that naturally, the more $ you pour into any machine the lower the et's and that looks like at least 30 g's or more went into that beast, not including the parachute. What the question should be is: wich is the fastest Elkie bone stock from the factory here and who owns it and finally, is he going to put his money where his pie-hole is ?!

#19 ·
Wow, a lot has been going on here. Let me start by saying that while I do drive on street when I plan and execute design no compromise is made for street use, it is designed to be raced-the fact I get to drive on public roads is an added bonus. Am I low enough? How about less than 2" of ground clearance (and working on ways to bring it down more for high speed events).

There is this invisible anchor on high speed called wind, it creates a "wall" if you will at about 150-160 depending on the drag coefficient. Getting to that speed is all gearing, once you hit that wall you need enough HP to push through it. It is not a magical number but does require a bunch of known factors such as weight, drag, HP, gearing and such to find. I do not have all that information but a good friend of mine runs Silver State at least annually in his 69 Camaro (another brick) and hits 165-170 quite easily with about the same HP. I plan on adding a couple hundred to the plan with the addition of the LS series 6.0.

Having low drag is not about the shape as much as you might think, managing air going in, around, under and through is much more key to going fast. Having the nose down to prevent air from getting underneath and diffusers on the back to get it out as well as making sure the wheel wells are filled to prevent air from being sucked in are key. Will I hit 200? Probably not, but the math says I will. I will be just fine a 180MPH license plate in any case.

#22 ·
How much

Well I have owned it for 23 years the paint is 21 years old,started redoing the frame and motor three years ago finished last fall car gets faster each time we take it out still have proplems hooking up.Made 1000hp/1000ft tk at the wheels.
How much way too much did all the work myself just parts in the last 3 years $40,000
Scott

#25 ·
I sure don't have the quickest or fastest cruck, but I"ll bet I have gone quicker on two wheels than anyone here.not just once, but hundreds of passes. Got the time slips and trophies to back that up. Best on throttle no bottle was 7.80's @ 172 mph. On my pro mod suzuki (11" car tire) with big nitrous boost ran 7.40's @ 184 mph.
Quickest pass ever in a car was 12.96 in my blueprinted 65 GTO on 6" wide Atlas Bucron tires @ Englishtown in 1967.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.