Another Drum-to-Disc Conversion, Wrong Master Again? - Page 2 - El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums
El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums

Ground Up
User Name
Password
Go Back   El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums > Drivetrain & Performance > Brake Systems

Old 06-19-2017, 11:29 AM
Site Contributor

Master Wrench

Name: Joe L.
Year: 1971
Model: El Camino
Region: 3 (DE,NJ,PA)
NECOA #: 52961
xlchjoe is a name known to all
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverybaychevy View Post
The brake line fitting is designed to seal at the flare not the threads. If you haven't already purchased then, I would go on Amazon and spend the $30 or so and buy a descent flare nut wrench set. You get much better torgue with the correct wrench. They are designed for that purpose. If you are using vise grips I would buy new fittings or lines and start over. With all do respect to HKDUP87 I would not use any type of thread seal tape on brake lines. As far as lubricating the flare fitting as I recommeded, use brake fluid, not motor oil. I'm not sure what even a small amount motor oil in the brake fluid might do with all the additives used in motor oil today. Not intending to offend anyone, just my 2 cents.
These words are worth more than 2 cents.

And I will not be commanded
And I will not be controlled
And I will not let my future go on
Without the help of my soul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

71 Camino
02 Z28
03 Blazer
11 Vette
11 Fatboy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2017, 08:35 PM
Twisted Wrench

Name: David
Year: 1966
Model: El Camino
Region: 13(TX)
NECOA #: 78922
G8GTx2 will become famous soon enough
Garage

So the rear line connections I thought were good weren't. The only provided connections that don't leak are the ones that connect to the rear drum backing plates.

What should I ask for when I talk to their customer service? Half of my money back? 1/3rd?

Thanks for listening to me complain, and for the suggestions/guidance.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:36 AM
Site Contributor

Master Wrench

Name: Bill
Year: 1969
Model: El Camino SS
Region: 6 (FL)
NECOA #: 56954
cquester5 will become famous soon enough
Garage

Ahhhhh, misery loves company. I had the same issue when I replaced all my hard lines with stainless. The stainless lines are so hard it require one to actually "form" the seat. I tightened and loosened, tightened loosened every fitting 5 or 6 times. As you probably already discovered tightening the fitting and then tightening more simply won't do it.
this is from post # 119 on my build thread.
"I have been bleeding the brake system and ran into a bit of difficulty. I installed all new stainless brake lines and never gave that a second thought. As I began bleeding the system leaks appeared everywhere. I tried tightening the lines to no avail.
I did some look-a-round on the internet and discovered that is relatively common when using stainless lines, most saying due to the metal being harder than standard lines. It seems recommended to tighten/loosen, tighten/loosen the lines several times to help seat the lines and also to use fluid to lube when doing so.I to0k the advise and went back to every fitting.
Looks like I have all leaks stopped, but, need a pedal pusher while I observe to insure no leaks or seepage any where. It all started as a clean and sanitary bleed job, but, that went to he*l in a handbasket pretty quick.Fortunately the Epoxy Chassis paint I used stood up well to the DOT3 brake fluid.
Oh well, lesson learned hopefully my mistakes along the way will save someone else a bit of grief on their project, and perhaps entertainment for those with more knowledge and or experience!"

Last edited by cquester5; 06-22-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Postal Code
Required
Street Address
Complete, verifiable Street or other address required (Hidden)
City
Your city or town
State or Province
Required
Location area within State
Which selection best describes the area of the State that you live in.
Country
Required
NECOA Region
Required
Year of Vehicle
Required
Make of Vehicle
Required
Model of Vehicle
Required
Real Name
Required. Your real name to be shown in your posts and profile.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.