1970 Sound System Speaker Mounting - El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums
El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums

Ground Up
User Name
Password

Old 06-18-2017, 02:46 AM
Twisted Wrench

Name: Alice Patricia Arthington
Year: 1970
Model: El Camino
Region: 12(MO,OK,KS)
NECOA #: 80402
AliceSML79 will become famous soon enough
Default 1970 Sound System Speaker Mounting

im wanting to mount a 1968-70 Chevrolet El Camino Long Beach Radio in a 70 truck. that seams to be the easy part. I'm having hard time finding out where the stock speakers mount and what size they are. any on know of a good idea?

Thanks in Advance:
Alice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2017, 04:21 AM
Motor Mouth

Name: Rick
Region: 14(AR,LA,MS)
NECOA #: 78882
B52bombardier1 will become famous soon enough

I also have a 1970 El Camino. Using a pair of flat-grilled 6x9 speakers (maybe a little larger), I plan to mount mine in plywood with a carpet wrapping. The bottom edge of the plywood will rest in the sheet metal flange that runs the width of the interior back wall of the car just above the hole that goes into the smugglers area. The top edge will be screwed into the rolled lip of metal that is in the front of that sheet metal area at the bottom front of the back glass.

I have not done any test fitting or mock ups here to know if it will work. With the plywood mounted in this manner, there should (???) be plenty of depth for the back side of the speakers but then again, I have not looked at speakers in a while.

The plywood and carpet covering should also provide some sound deadening from road noise here. I plan to "Dynamat" (or similar) the entire area of the back wall and continue to plywood and carpet that area. I will use a tight fitting plywood and carpet removable "plug" to cover the access hole to the smugglers area because I want to stow things in that area but keep the road noise out.

It's all inexpensive thin plywood or maybe even Masonite paneling so experimentation and test fitting will not cost much.

Rick
Old 06-18-2017, 05:14 AM
Silver Contributor

Master Wrench

Name: Roger
Year: 1972
Model: El Camino SS
Region: 4 (MD,VA)
NECOA #: 16663
DrPepper will become famous soon enough

B52 has a good idea. I started down that path myself, but I think I found a better method. But that is only if you agree w/ my choice of speakers. I used two Bose surround sound mini's. (I'm not sure that's the correct name)
I have two tie down loops mounted on the front, inside, of the bed. One on each side of the bed. I used those mounting holes to mount brackets on the inside of the cab for the Bose to mount to. Because the speakers are relatively light weight, it's worked perfectly. The Bose can handle 40 watts. That's more than enough for my old ears.
Good Luck w/ your project.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:37 AM
Twisted Wrench

well I work about biocking a spare tire. or can u access it in the truck bed smugglers door panel? I can't check on my ow because I have yet to purchases a truck yet. I want to be Ready when I buy my truck so thats why so many questions. top 5 things I want to do is get it tuned to run reliably, spray in truck bed liner to grip my chair, Some Tie downs for said chair, A/C, and a car stereo to make it a nice driver first.

wanted to do as stealth of a stereo install I can hence why I was wondering about OEM locations. but the more I research it I think id be better off installing a good set of 6.5" components in kick panels and in a plywood setup behind rear seet. maybe a 100w sell powered 3" shadow sub on same panel.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:07 AM
Motor Mouth

In my wildest "imagineering", I cannot see enough usable space at the lower front floor kick panels for speakers. Do they make thin depth speakers that will fit there and not take up leg space?

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2017, 05:08 PM
Twisted Wrench

RetroSound makes Kick Panels for 1968-72 El Camino with Factory Air Conditioning and Kick Panels for 1968-72 El Camino with No Factory Air Conditioning. they hold 6.5" speakers. theres also q-forms as well that hold component speakers.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:18 PM
Twisted Wrench

this is the system setup I'm considering but with newer SiriusXM Radio and maybe not the speaker books because not sure they even fit in a 70 el camino.

https://youtu.be/Ug7vTK7-7Gc
Old 06-18-2017, 08:52 PM
Master Wrench

Name: Ed
Region: 18(CA)
NECOA #: 22875
O52 is a glorious beacon of light
Garage

Factory speakers for 70-72 El Caminos or Chevelles are mounted in the dash.
Now this is where is gets confusing.

If the car has air conditioning there are two speakers at each end of the dash even if the radio is AM or AM/FM mono.

If the car doesn't have air conditioning there is only one speaker in the center of the dash if the radio or tape player is AM AM/FM mono.

BUT... if the car has no air and has a stereo radio or tape player it will have two speakers.

In short;
Air Conditioning: Two Speakers
No Air Conditioning: One or two speakers, Depends on the radio

70 El Camino SS
Old 06-18-2017, 10:35 PM
Twisted Wrench

so if its stereo its due 3.5" at ends dash and if its mono its a center 6x9 it looks like. at least thats what it looks like from the info from "O52" & ReroSound's Website. so I guess because it is a ruck people didn't deserve rear speakers. so will defiantly depend on which car I sendup with. just hope I can find a 70 Elky where the dash hasn't been hacked up. thats going to be hard I'm sure.

If anyone is intrested in how I found the speakers ill included a link list below:
Since I want to run a 5 Chanel setup with good sound and retro looks makes things a bit more complicated. not sur if I can fit some full range truck box speakers or not but worse case I can have a plywood panel made. as for the sub ill use a self contained model between the 2 rear speakers attached to a plywood panel maybe so its firing in the center of the bench seat. but this is the list of components I'm looking at. front speaker depends on the car obviously.

dose anyone know if the Full Range Speaker boxes (Dimensions: 16 1/4" wide, 13 1/2" high, 7 1/2" deep at bottom, 3 3/4" deep at top) would fit behind the seat, or if I should do a custom Panel with 6x9's?

Thanks in Advance:
Alice

Edit: just found out RetroSound makes a Universal DIN Repair Kit. so the presser of finding a un cut dash just got better. don't get me wrong id much rather have a OEM dash but this gives me options.

Last edited by AliceSML79; 06-19-2017 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Added some new Information.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:46 AM
Motor Mouth

Name: Rame
Year: 1972
NECOA #: 77945
Sampoerna415 will become famous soon enough
Garage

In my 72 I had 2 3.5's mounted in the dash, with a little trimming of the factory brackets I was able to mount some 4x6's in there place. If you just have the one speaker setup there are dual voice coil 6x9's available.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:54 AM
Twisted Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampoerna415 View Post
In my 72 I had 2 3.5's mounted in the dash, with a little trimming of the factory brackets I was able to mount some 4x6's in there place. If you just have the one speaker setup there are dual voice coil 6x9's available.
the Dash Replacement Speaker for 1970-77 Chevrolet El Camino with Mono Factory Radio is a duel voice coil.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:57 AM
Motor Mouth

It is possible that I might be selling my 70 EC dashboard because I'm likely to upgrade to the SS style. It will be a while before I make this decision but this can be yours as the first to buy it. The sweep style speedo works but the dash cap is cracked in two places. The lower plastic beneath where the radio mounts has holes from where it appears that a CB radio was mounted.

Rick

Old 06-19-2017, 06:02 AM

Master Wrench

Name: Sean
Year: 1969
Region: 6 (FL)
NECOA #: 19132
69 SS396 is just really nice
Garage

Just to give you some ideas go here to check out my set up.

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/albu.../user/myelkyss Click on stereo install pics.

The Infinity 6x9s have since had mounts added to get them up above the amps on both sides. Sub box holds 2 10" R Fosgates.

You can also build a wall for more speakers.

I dont recommend the kick panel speakers. You have to rework the park brake pedal and on the pass side, if you add aftermarket A/C thats where the lines come in from engine comp.

1995 BMW M3 Convertible, triple black w/60k miles. Road tested to 135

1925 Model T Tudor. Getting a 4.3 V6/700R4 and 4.11 posi rear.

2005 Silverado crew cab named Betty(bam-ba-lam)Daily driver.

All dogs are better than 90% of humans. 90% of dogs are better than all humans.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:03 AM
Twisted Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by B52bombardier1 View Post
It is possible that I might be selling my 70 EC dashboard because I'm likely to upgrade to the SS style. It will be a while before I make this decision but this can be yours as the first to buy it. The sweep style speedo works but the dash cap is cracked in two places. The lower plastic beneath where the radio mounts has holes from where it appears that a CB radio was mounted.

Rick

well if its long ways off like after December I might be interested. I'm in such debt since I got hurt in January it will take me a while to recover living on $755 a month now.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:05 AM
Twisted Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 SS396 View Post
Just to give you some ideas go here to check out my set up.

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/albu.../user/myelkyss Click on stereo install pics.

The Infinity 6x9s have since had mounts added to get them up above the amps on both sides. Sub box holds 2 10" R Fosgates.

You can also build a wall for more speakers.

I dont recommend the kick panel speakers. You have to rework the park brake pedal and on the pass side, if you add aftermarket A/C thats where the lines come in from engine comp.
I hadn't considered that mounting a plywood to the floor. that looks like a good idea and it looks like theres a lot more room behind the bench then a standard truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Postal Code
Required
Street Address
Complete, verifiable Street or other address required (Hidden)
City
Your city or town
State or Province
Required
Location area within State
Which selection best describes the area of the State that you live in.
Country
Required
NECOA Region
Required
Year of Vehicle
Required
Make of Vehicle
Required
Model of Vehicle
Required
Real Name
Required. Your real name to be shown in your posts and profile.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.