El Camino Central Forum banner

Old School El Caminos

6K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  ps 
#1 ·
Some may find this stupid but I was wondering if there are any pictures around on the net of a 4th or most of all a 5th gen with steelies and wide white walls in black with a retro look? My plan is to stick to a plain stock appearing look or pro touring but I through the 50's retro look around in my head as well since I mostly love traditional hot rods and 40's-50's customs, lead sleds and stockers.
I looked on Google Images and on the gallery here but found nothing. If I were good at Photoshop I would make one on there of a 80 El Camino with the wide whites, steelies with rings and baby moons. Like I said, it's just an idea I am throwing in my head but most likely will stick to the pro touring type car since it's my daily driver and handling is my biggest concern. Also it's hard for me to picture it in my head what it will really look like.
Thanks for any info!

#5 ·
Funny you should bring this up! A few weeks ago I had my 78 at the local supermarket. As I was getting out of the elky, this younger guy, I guess in his early 20's, comes over to look at the car. We start talking about what engine it has, how he likes the sound of the flowmasters, etc., etc.
Then he says to me, "you know what would look really good on it? Wide whites from like the 50's!"
I really couldn't image it on a late 70's elky. But it did make me wonder how it would look if done right.
As I drove away, I was thinking this guy was probably born in the mid 80's so to him my 78 would seem much older than it does to me.
Anyway, you're not alone in imagining it. So maybe there's a pic of one out there somewhere.

#8 ·
That would definitely be a different look. I've got a picture of an S-10 with Model A wire wheels on it. I think it's a little weird, but they kind of fit well. Not exactly what you're thinking of, but along the same lines, old wheels/tires on a new(er, kind of) car. If I can find it I'll post it. Also, if you post or send me a pic of your car, I can photoshop some wide whites on it just to see what it would look like.

#9 ·
pinstripebob, I seen a few S-10's with wide whites and that is what got me wondering. They do not look right but I thought maybe it can be done. I have a 1966 F100 that I am making my shop truck with the wood bed sides, lowered and on steelies and wide whites from Coker. I am making a 40's style 29 Track-T style body roadster with wired wheels and plain black front tires with cheater slick wide whites in the rear.
I am into period correct hot rods, customs and such but with the El Camino I was just thinking about it and just messing with idea's in my head. I like muscle cars and pro touring vehicles some but not my 1st choice and when I go to shows they do not really grab my attention as much as 20's-50's vehicles do. I am only 22 but I am not your typical 22 year old into ricers, mini trucks, crotch rockets or 80's-90's Mustangs and Camaro's. I like El Camino's though, not sure why but there is just something I like about how they ride and look. Same with 80's Chevy trucks. :nanawrench:

#10 ·
Shawn, you've got good tastes! Someone on here (Elkyholic???) posted some pics of a lowered 5th gen in flat black. Didn't have the old school rollers, but with that pic as a starting point, it wouldn't be too hard to photoshop. If I run across it, I'll post a link for you.

#14 ·
I have Photoshop. Well, access to it, free and legally. Also, have you heard of the HAMB Shawn? It's all period correct hot rods/customs that are pre 1964. You might want to check it out. Careful though, you might get lost. Also, I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I'm a fan of higher quality builds and period correct hot rods, and I'm only 21. If you guys want to see that flat black Elky with wide whites, a side shot would work better. Also, here's that S-10 I was talking about with the Model A spoked wheels.

#15 ·
Hahaha, nevermind about the HAMB. I didn't see you posted about looking for pics there.

#16 ·
lol No problem. Yeah the S-10 with the wheels just isn't right but I would definitely take the wheels for my T project. I am a member on The HAMB, username there is SMF Speed&Custom.
One time I found an old (probably from the 40;s) shop out in the woods. Noone had probably been in it for years and years. Inside was a bunch of old oil cans, starters, etc all in the dirt and wood floor. Also were a few old Spoked wheels. Probably no good but would have worked for wall art. Wish I would have grabbed them but now they went back there, cut the trees down and built homes. I do know of an old service station with a 60's fuel pump out front still that I plan to take the El Camino to here in the next few weeks and my 68 Lincoln Continental to get pictures of them in front of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.