El Camino Central Forum banner

Custom center console

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  '81ELKYSS 
#1 ·
I have a '69 with a 4 speed and I'm looking to build a custom center console. I thought about going with a stock one, but figured I could make a custom one and put gauges, speakers, a CB radio, and more in it.

I was just looking for a book I could buy/get from the library that would help me out with the details. Does anyone know of one? I looked today at the library but didn't find much.

BTW I'm 15 so I'm not trying to get myself over my head. I was planning on using a plywood type material that my dad has used before to make a subwoofer box for the trunk of his Camaro.

#3 ·
Thanks, that last one looks pretty similar to what I'd like to do. Except I planned on using a bit lighter wood and covering it with a small layer of padding and then leather.

#4 ·
I'm not trying to bash or discourage you young man, but it takes a certain skillset to fabricate something like that. Be careful around that table saw! IMO, all the homebuilt interior components I've seen look getto. The edges are square and all surfaces are flat, unlike the rest of the interior whis is rounded and curved. The overall effect just doesn't work for me. There are many different consoles out there, and they generally blend in better. Before you commit to building one out of wood, look around the junkyard and see if there's something you like. Be aware that there's no point of attatchment on the floor. G bodies that were factory console equipped have this attatchment point welded in. These can be found at several vendors cheap. Drilling a hole for a through bolt means trying to put a nut on the bolt on top of the trans where it's hard to see, but it can be done. Good luck and post a pic when you get it done.

#5 ·
I'm just going to experiment. If I don't like it, I'll probably just find a stock one.

Thanks for the tip on the attachment point.

#6 ·
It is all in the up front planning and having the "rigtht stuff handy" along with a full measure of patience. Lay it out, measure more than once, and plan on making some mistakes along with way (and in some cases starting over). The old cardboard template trick is key too . . . and hopefully, if you use the best material, and take your time . . . you will be proud of the final product and no one else will have one like it. I've seen plenty of junk work too, but have also seen just as much of the "beautiful personal work". You will see quickly if you have the ability for this kind of thing or not. If not, don't beat yourself up, just move on and find a aftermarket (or OEM) piece for your ride. At the end of the day, this is the way we learn. Just one guys opinion.
:smileyb:

#7 ·
I think if you have the time it would be an excellent idea, you have to learn somewhere right?, tuggy found some great pictures, just be careful working with the tools, you said your dad has made a speaker box, so im sure you'll have some help, and if you mess up, its only wood, but if it comes to, just go to aftermarket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.