El Camino Central Forum banner

Positive batt cable pigtail -- what is it for?

6K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Pete 
#1 ·
I just bought repro sidemount battery cables from Ground Up for my '72 SS454. Both cables have pigtails attached. I know what to do with the negative pigtail, but what do I do with the positive pigtail? The '72 Assembly Manual doesn't show a positive pigtail, let alone where it connects. What is it for? What should I do with it? Thanks for any help.

#3 ·
One my 85 that positive pigtail connects to the back of the alternator, the connection with the nut.

Doug

#4 ·
Gen 3 neg goes to ground at the sheet metal by the battery typicaly and a lot of cars don't use it and ground else where from block to frame. The positive pigtail goes to the cable junction block that is behind the battery attached to the radiator support core. This is your power feed for the wiring harnes. The cable block is removeable and I have seen a lot of cars wired around it and direct to what ever. Use the block as it gives you the ability to change battery cable without cutting and if you have a power melt down problem you can cut that wire and take out most things sometimes before everthing melts. Some custom wiring uses a switch there and even a double switch one for battery direct start and one for asseries.

#5 ·
I will go look for that junction block behind the battery and let you know what I find. I hope mine still has one if it's supposed to. Thanks.

#6 ·
Well, I just checked and there is no junction block behind my battery on the radiator support. The only thing there is the rear end of the headlight and its electrical plug protruding through. Maybe that area changed between '69 and '72. Maybe a '72 doesn't need the positive pigtail? If not, what did the factory do with it? Cut it off? Tie it to the positive cable? Or maybe the actual cables for '72 didn't have a positive pigtail? Anyone know the answer? Thanks.

#9 ·
The horn relay is on the firewall behind the power brake booster, so it's way too far from the battery for the positive cable pigtail to attach to it. So it can't go there. I also just checked the '72 shop manual. None of the illustrations or circuit diagrams in it show a pigtail on the positive battery cable.

#10 ·
Mark, I'm starting to think it just gets cut off. You would think that the repro parts we buy from reputable Chevelle parts suppliers would be suitable even for show cars (which mine will never be), but not if you need to cut off needless pigtails. I guess I'm expecting too much. Maybe that's why the ultimate restoration parts are NOS OEM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.