El Camino Central Forum banner

Are these standard equip.? Where can I find them ?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  skinyfisher 
#1 ·
I saw these in a 70 El Camino at a local cruise- in last summer,and now that I have mine painted and all was wandering where I could find these to put in mine, But having no luck any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
There is no RPO on Gen 3's for bed tye downs of any kind. If by chance they were on the car at delivery they would have been dealer installed, which makes them after market. In all the years of searching ebay and such I have not sean them and I have rebuilt and owned 4 69's and had one new one in 69. They are there and will have little to no affect on what you would do with or to the car or value. They would only come into place on a #2 or better completely factory stock car.

#3 ·
Thanks Jay, now that I know they weren't standard equip. or optional for that fact ,Guess I'll just have to figure out where to get some like them,
I have looked at all kinds and nothing else really looks as neat and clean looking as these do.
Happy Hunting I guess.

#5 ·
I have a pack of two of those I got when I worked at an auto parts store in the early 90's, they were throwing them out since they weren't selling, so I snagged them. They used to be pretty common and easy to find, but not anymore it seems, a bit of searching on Google turned up nothing. :cry:

The ones I have are made by Keeper. They are still in business and have some that look even better in my opinion here on their pages: http://www.keepercorp.com/prod/ttdh.htm

The rectangular ones that flip out when needed look pretty trick, #05628, also #05626 looks pretty slick too.

You should also try going into local truck and boat shops, I'm sure those hooks are still around, just not easy to find on teh Internets! :p

#7 ·
Was wondering what use the tie downs would be?
Unless you are able to put a backing plate, to hold them in place and not pull through the sheet metal, they are of very little use, I would say.
If I was to mount such an item, I would make for sure it could hold a tie-down strap, securley!
Motorcycle transport would be my main reason to cut holes in my truck bed.

#9 ·
if you can't get a backing plate behind them of 6"x 6" min or use a front plate and bolt it to the bed side, than put trough bolted ones in the bed floor with a backing plate. the ones you show in that picture are for hold yard clippings of nearly empty boxes. Don't not tie a bike down off those or use any kind of come along strap. What you wish to do is what killed and bent all the Elky beds you see. The best bike carriers I have sean are slide in ones made from channel, you lay heavy rubber pad or carpet down lay the channel frame in drop a dead bolt trough the frame trough a hole driied in your bed that also had a plate welded under the bed. Than roll the bike into the frame and tie it to the frame then just light tension is required side to side. The channel frame also has uprights that hold the bike. I had a friend that carried his Hog like this but the tailgate had to be down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.