El Camino Central Forum banner

Gas Tank

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  LOCKJAW 
#1 ·
OK, so before I go crawling under my car, you know, the place where I keep my black widow farm....

I was wondering if by looking at the gas tank while still connected, if there is a part number I can see somewhere.

I have a strong feeling I don't have the right gas tank. My gas cap is correct because my key unlocks it but it doesn't fit securely on the tank. Ive been having to use a piece of rubber hose to make it snug. Well the other day that didn't work out well and I lost precious gas out my tank because I parked on a slanting hill...

I figured the easiest route would be find out what kind of tank I have and by the correct cap for it. :yell:

And if it happens that I have the right tank already and this is all a wrong though...I guess I just continue to leak gas :neutral2:

Anyways...anyone know?

#3 ·
As far as I know, the only tank that even comes close to fitting an El Camino is an El Camino tank. They did come in different capacities, but even those all look the same and just have a different length to the fill tube in the tank.

I may be way off base in my assumption, but I'll bet you have a Camino tank in your Camino.

#5 ·
I'm gunna have to say no, it doesn't release pressure.

Well the key that unlocks it is the same key that starts the car so I assumed it was the correct, and original gas cap.

I just got this car not too long ago and I'm still trying to figure out all of its....quirks...

OK, so I took a video since I'm not great at explaining it. This is with my "makeshift rubber seal removed. Yes it is locked and has to be opened with a key. And yes, I tried to buy replacements and they had the same effect you see here.

#7 ·
i have an 87 and i have the same proble. the nose on the gas tank it poorly designed. the neck dosnt come up as high as it shout and when you park on a hill it will go on that side and leak out from the vented gas cap. but dont put a non vented one in because then your motor cant pull gas out because it will be basically sealed and cant pull the much pressure

#9 ·
Definitely the wrong cap. Have you tried any other keys? Maybe any key will work it. LOL

#10 ·
no, I haven't tried any other keys; that sounds like it could lead to (different) problems.

I went to the auto parts store, asked for a gas cap to fit my year car, asked if I could try before buying it....it did the same exact thing as you see in the video above; also looked the same (different key though =P). So by that, I think its the correct cap.

yes, widow farm...got one under the front end and one under the back...gotta clean out the webs bout once a week. Dunno how they're still there with me driving it but I haven't found their hideouts yet.

Back to the gas cap =P...O well, the rubber seal I have pushed on there works well In all situations except parked at a angle I guess, and will get me by till I figure out a solution.

Thanks for your responses guys! Always friendly and helpful!

#11 ·
If your gas cap key operates your ignition lock you need to repair one or the other ! No g.m. Ignition lock should respond to the gas cap key, let alone accept the key blank!
Locking gascaps are very simple and cheap with large tolerances and sloppy keyways. After some use it may be possible for your elky key to operate it. That looks like an old "stant" cap. If it doesn't fit and seal properly the gasket is missing or shot. Very doubtful your filler neck/tank is incorrect.
Watch out for those tank snakes !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.