El Camino Central Forum banner

82 heater core questions

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  beach10222 
#1 ·
i have a fifth gen el camino, the last couple days it has been fogging up on the inside of the window, when i turned the heater on. then today, i smelled some coolant, then on the way home from school i discovered a small coolant leak on the floor under the glove box. i'm assuming that the heater core is leaking, since there is no other plumbing of coolant inside hte cabin of the car (correct?). does this mean the heater core needs to be replaced, or can a radiator shop fix it? or how about bar's stop leak?
also, are there any tips or tricks to taking out the heater core in a fifth gen? do i need to take out hte dash, glove box, or are there any "hidden" bolts, or any under the hood? it's new hampshire and november, so disconnecting the coolant lines from under the hood, is by no means a long term solution right now.

#3 ·
Heater core

Your diagnosis is probably correct. BUT, before you replace the heater core, double check the hose connections going to the core. They can start to leak at the hose connection and drip right down into the box. Replace the hose, and clamps. A friend of mine bought a heater core and was ready to swap it. I found a leak at the hoses, and we saved a lot of time. Actually we only delayed the work. His core started leaking three years later.

If you are sure it is not the hose connections the heater core is not that tough to replace. There are a lot of screws. Do NOT just assume you have all the screws out and start yanking on the cover. Keep looking for the screws! They seem to hide.

You don't need to do anything inside the vehicle. It is all done from the engine compartment. The hoses for the A/C components have enough movement to move them out of the way. Clean out the dirt and junk in the bottom of the box. Drop it all back into place and replace all the screws.

Do a search for heater core replacements on the site. You will find everything you need to know.

#4 ·
A lot of screws

you say there are A LOT of screws. i just looked under the hood real quick with a flashlight. are the screws to get the heater core out, the ones that go all the way around where the hoses go, around the AC stuff, then over to what appears to be the blower motor? is that whole thing one big cover? and then do I just pull that off, and the heater core will come right out?

#5 ·
82 Leaking Heater

The only thing inside the cab that can leak coolant is the heater it self. It should be replaced with a new one, not repaired. The whole job is done from under the hood. Turn your ignition on and turn the wipers on, then turn the ignition switch off when the wipers are straight up, next remove the lower metal windshild moulding and slide it up under wipers, then remove the hood gasket by pulling up on it. Then remove the cowl screen screws and the screen itself. Next unplug electrical terminals at blower motor and resister,leave blower and resister in place, then remove upper blower/heater/A.C.evap.case cover screws,note there are one or two deep inside the box alongside the blower gently pry case apart, if it doesn't want to come easy check for more screws. With the cover off you will see the heater core and A.C. core. next remove the heater core retaining clip and ground strap, loosen and retighten your radiator cap put a catch pan under car remove heater core(you will loose very little coolant)then the heater hoses. Before replacing the heater core it is a good idea to vacumn out the heater and A.C.areas. Also use automotive caulk on the cowl to firewall screws and case seams. This sounds harder than it is. I do this job in 45 mins.But then I have done this several times before. Good Luck, Dave Johnson

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.