El Camino Central Forum banner

87 El Camino 39k original miles

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ezridr 
#1 ·
Just purchased the el camino has erratic shifting problem like it doesn't want to downshift w/o stalling from 4th to 3rd automatic tranny ??? Is this a tranny problem or carb problem it bucks and will stall sometimes--it doesn't do it all the time--thought it maybe from sitting so long and might work out--it went a away for a week and then it came back again ??? real weird ?? Any thoughts ??? Thanks

P.S. You can keep it from stalling by downshifting from 4th to 3rd with the auto floor shifter ??? Also it seems to do it more if you kick it down into passing range and then it will like buck--is there a cable that goes from the carb to tranny or is there a vaccum modulator I guess this is a 200R4 tranny. New to the el camino thing any help would be appreciated. I checked tranny fluid its full and nice red color--I changed the gas filter in the carb.

#3 ·
trans problem

Old coot is right, #1 cause for the problem you describe is failure of the lock up solinoid, it is easy to change just remove the trans. pan and you will see it, it's the solinoid with wires (doesn't look like it belongs in oil ) better yet buy your replacement part 1st. so you can identify it easily

#4 ·
Thanks guys I will replace it soon--can you purchase it at Advance or Auto Zone or Napa or is it OEM part ther GM ??? Any idea of the price. Also forgot to mention it bucks in first gear on a steep hill as well--I was thinking FUEL PUMP may be acting up as well--any thoughts its cold here in NY I know if it was hot out the fuel pump would just quit ???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.