El Camino Central Forum banner

700R4 tranny mount

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  johnrebbb 
#1 ·
Howdy all,
I did a quick search but didn't find the answer to my peticular question. Anyway, I have a crossmember coming from Dixie Monte Carlo to replace the ho-made one that came with it.
http://www.dixiemontecarlodepot.com/items/DM94030.html
My question is does a TH350 tranny mount work or what exactly should I ask for at O'Reilly or Autozone? They get kind of a lost look when I tell them what's in it since that's not an option in their system.
Once I get this in, I can get the Hotchkis rear upper control arms dialed in. But that's a conversation for another day. Progress report coming soon!

-john r

#5 ·
I just spent some time fooling around on a couple web sites. Summit's being one. It looks like the Energy Suspension mount would be the same for the 700R4 as well as the 350. I'm not sure about the 400. I guess it's just an issue of springing for it and hoping for the best. I did read when I searched the threads that there may be a height issue of the mount. I will know more as the week unfolds. It's due in on the 16th and I'm hoping for some decent weather!

Thank you for the input! It's hard to justify buying parts when I haven't gone Xmas shopping yet!

-john r

#6 ·
The bolt centers seem to be the same on most GM stuff. My 400 tail housing fits the TH350 mount. I have another mount here that has the bottom stud off-set about 3/4 of an inch to the front or rear, which ever way it's bolted on.. Forgot what I bought it for. All the TH350s don't use the same mount I found out. Something about the tail shaft housing casting differences versus the flange on the mount. Had to rummage through the shelves in the parts store to get one to fit. Hope you figure it out OK.

#7 ·
Well, it looks like the Energy Suspension mount, 3.1108G, will do the trick! The crossmember acts like it's about 3/8" too short per side and the gussets that sit on the frame are a little rearward, but it'll do! The one that was in it was just holding the tranny up by resting the speedo housing section of the tail cone on the crossmember bar it's self. Thankfully nothing's broken!
Back to it over the weekend I reckon. Weather permiting. Then I'll be pickin' the brains of the collective on the best way to adjust the rear upper control arms to set the pinion angle. That's another area though.

Cheers,
-john r.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.