El Camino Central Forum banner

87 heater core

5K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  CoyoteOn2 
#1 ·
Anyone replace the heater core on an 87 elky?

I have not done it yet, but would like to have some idea on time and how involved it would be?

Thanks for the response..

#2 ·
It'll take about two hours to R&R the heater core. It comes out from the top of the heater box. Remove the wiper arm, lower windshield trim, screen on top of the heater box, blower motor, lower windshield trim brackets, etc... There are lots of screws holding the top of the box on, including 2-3 inside the box. Make sure you get all of them before you start trying to remove the top. When you think you have them all out, look again for more. Getting the top off is a bit tricky because it will get hung up on the metal standoffs for the brackets for the lower windshield trim. Once the top is off it's clear sailing. There is a ground wire attached to the heater core bracket that needs to be removed also.

While the top is off clean out the cracked weatherstripping on the top of the box at the firewall, and apply a liberal amount of new sealant. This will prevent future leaks into the passenger floor area. I use regular RTV sealant in a tube. You'll also need a new seal for the top of the box. Clean out all of the old seal, some will be on the top and some will be on the box. I use a calking rope that I buy at Home Depot. It comes on a roll. It's in the weatherstripping department. It's about 5/16" in diameter and fits perfectly in the grove for the top seal.

While the top of the box is off, look down into the bottom of the box underneath where the blower motor would be. There is a rubber flap that allows trapped water to drain out of the bottom of the box. Take the opportunity to clean it out as it usually clogs up with debris after a while.

I've done more of these than I can remember. Good luck.

#3 ·
Ernie is dead on. I did the same procedure and was surprised at how easy it was. The only thing I wanted to add to Ernie's instructions is that if you still feel uneasy you can cheat !

Well sort of......I can't remember the site but I Googled something like "G body heater core exchange" and there I found the procedure complete with photos. It takes away any uneasiness when you print it out and have a step by step photographic guide. Took me 2 hours and I had not done this before.

Good luck.....no worries, You can do it!

#4 ·
I've done a heater core and an evaporator on two different G bodies that I've owned. Pay close attention to sealing this thing back up. Ernie has probably been there too, if you don't get this sealed up good you find a puddle on your floor after the first rain storm.
Mike

#8 ·
how will i know for sure that my heater core is shot? I clean from around my evaporator earlier this week after i notice some water on the floor of the passenger side of my 86. I had some mud and pine needle in there. i even ran water to see if the drainage was happening and it appeared it was. well today it rain and water was on the passenger side when i got off from work. the first time i saw water there was no rain. i recently purchased an accumulator, orfice tube, and got my r12 to 134a conversion done. i figured the ac caused the water now im confused?

Help is requested

Marvin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.