1980 229 V-6 has an oil leak, not just a little leak , a big leak
it is in the rear of the motor,
I have checked
1) back of manifold
2) valve covers
3) main seal
4) oil pan
5) distributor.......
Now the question I have at one time I remember three plugs at the top of the rear cam bearing, some were plugs, some were threaded allen plugs. the motor has been rebuilt recently, did the 229V-6 have these plugs at the rear cam, this is the only possible olace for a leak that I can think of

comments, solutions, advice
thanks in advance

#4 ·
X2 on the sending unit, the 3 plugs in back are 1/8 NPT threaded plugs, when did the problem start? Was it right after the rebuild? If it was the those plugs it should of been seen right at initial start up, could one of the plugs not been tightened properly? Maybe but I doubt it,, check the oil sending unit first or better yet just replace it and see if that cures your problem,, I would run it on ramps or jack stands, the higher you can get the car up in the air to find the leak while at idle, use brake clean wipe it all down really good and run it and look with a high powered LED light. Most auto parts store has a leak kit as well, put a dye in the oil and use a specail light the oil will glow,, I love oil leak issues,,, not,, good luck and may the force be with you,, Matty man

#5 ·
It's not the oil sending unit, that was replaced at build time and there is no oil from the top end.
valve covers distributor, manifold rear main all dry.
I notice it dripping !! thru the hole in the bottom of the flywheel cover ,after about 3 minutes of running it drips really good, that's why I am asking if the 3 plugs at the top of the cam could be the problem

#7 ·
Could be the plugs or most likely a improper crank seal install,or the pan bolts could be loose.If it's coming out of the flywheel cover its most likely the seal. Of course ,IF, the rebuilder pulled this oil galley plugs as he should he may have just not tightened one all the way. If you pull the cover and get under it with a good strong beam flashlight ,clean up the area with brake clean and let it dry,you could probably run it for a minute or two and see what direction the oil is coming from. My bet is rear main. Either one is going to necessitate some work ! Good luck.

#8 ·
I think if it was the 3 plugs it would not be dripping but running out, those plugs are in direct line with the oil pressure galleys. Could one be slowly backing out? Maybe but I think you would have a better chance of hitting the lottery,, so that, IMO that leaves the cam plug or rear main seal. Bo did you pull the motor yourself to have the motor rebuilt? Or did a local shop do it? Either way IMO it would be easier to pull the motor to fix the leak, run it on the floor or test stand and slide back in,, I hate oil leaks,, Matty Man

#9 ·
Matty:
I pulled the motor, disassembled it had the machine shop do the work and I reassembled it,,didn't think to check the plugs at the cam, either way the motor will have to come out to repair what ever is wrong ....time to install the spare .......from 1970, an oldie 488 cu in. with a tunnel ram 12.5 compression, blueprinted ,and still runs !

#13 ·
I f its the rear seal, it's probably easier to pull the engine ...
I may be dating myself ,but at one time long long ago there was a device to remove and re-instal the rear seal, I think this is when they had a rope type gasket for a seal ......WOW I MUST BE OLD

#15 ·
I remember the tool for the rubber rear seal. I remember the rope seal but not a tool for it.

#19 ·
Tool for pulling the rope type rear main seal was called a "Sneaky Pete". Can't hide my age. Not needed for a rubber seal as it can be slipped in easy enough once you get there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.