El Camino Central Forum banner

Paint vs lock tite

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  steelybill 
#1 ·
This is more a question than a tip. The reason this came up is I'm about to re-assemble
my tilt steering, and my lock tite is dried up, (as per usual). My dear ol Daddy, who was born with a wrench in his hand, used paint to secure bolts. I too have used it a few times in places where the necessity of lock tite is questionable. I use lock tite in places where it's absolutely called for, but in other places such as the the tilt bolts that didn't have it from factory I think the paint might work. Has anyone ever done this besides my Dad and I?
BTW, as reference, my Dad started mechanicing during the great depression.

#3 ·
stick with the Loctite, cant say I've ever heard of paint being used. but like you said using it on non critical stuff why use anything at all. FYI Loctite also comes in thread tape aswell as the stick and liquid.

#4 ·
Question for you, not about loctite but about your steering column. I am putting my back together as well, do you have the headlight lever/dimmer metal rod on yours as well? Reason I ask is my is a 78 and I am having a hard time getting it back on. I found a post last night about using a bunch of grease to keep it lubed up but to also keep pieces in place while putting it back together, going to try that in a bit. It just seems like the metal rod for the dimmer/high beam only catches sometimes and needs a constant slight pressure to keep it engaged while you put the column back on. Curious to see how you reassembled yours. Pic below shows the metal rod I am talking about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.