NECOA Action Plan for 2017 - El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums
El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums

Ground Up
User Name
Password

Old 03-19-2017, 12:06 PM
National Director

Master Wrench

Name: Ken Rogers
Year: 1968
Model: El Camino SS
Region: 13(TX)
NECOA #: 12751
kenrogers1 has a reputation beyond reputekenrogers1 has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow NECOA Action Plan for 2017

This Action Plan that was presented to the Board of Directors is included in its entirety below and in the attached document. Parts apply only to the Directors, but most apply to the all of our Association. Your comments are welcome.............Ken

I’ve been putting together an action plan for next Spring and Summer that’s going to focus on more activity by our Regional Directors, Deputy Directors, and the general membership - we have a large number of non-Director members who would love to organize meetings and/or show participation in their immediate areas, and I want to really encourage this activity by offering whatever help they can use. I also know we have some active DDs who have been models for what we should expect from our DDs. My feeling is that we as an Association need to get back to the basics of building our membership and activity. We need DDs, and RDs for that matter, who strive to organize meetings and member-attended shows in their areas. And, we need to get back to publishing the results of those smaller meetings and shows along with the larger events. In the past, many of the members who attended the smaller shows trumpeted the news of who showed up, who won, and other talk of what went on. That type of promotion drives members to get excited about attending themselves. Remember – I’ve been there and done that pretty successfully – so I know what I’m talking about. In many of our Regions, nobody seems to be excited anymore (please don’t see this message as an indictment of any person or Region – it is NOT – we can all do better). I scan the “Regional” Forms and months go by without word of a single activity planned or promoted in many Regions. Somehow, we’ve got to find a way, or ways, to motivate our leaders and members to take the smaller steps we need to begin rebuilding the drive we used to have. Also, please don’t forget that I stand ready to assist you with any type of membership data that I have - all you need to do is tell me what you need. And for Regions who need staffing, I will try to expedite any qualified nomination for additional Deputy Directors so that they may be in place for the Spring and Summer show seasons.

We as the leadership have been entrusted to keep this Association healthy and growing for future generations of El Camino enthusiasts. I want to make very sure that we fulfill those responsibilities and I’m asking for your help to do that. Finally, I offer the following plan for future action by our Association. ………………….Ken

Please scroll down to Post 3 & 4 for the entire 2017 NECOA Action Plan

"El Caminos Do NOT Leak oil - They Mark Their Territory!" (Courtesy 69 SS396)

See my '68 SS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by kenrogers1; 03-20-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2017, 12:11 PM
National Director

Master Wrench

kenrogers1 has a reputation beyond reputekenrogers1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Other Thoughts........

I just never get tired of hearing about the meetings and car shows where our El Camino brothers & sisters had a great time. I can almost hear the bench racing (and the lies about how fast those El Caminos are!), smell the polish, and feel the camaraderie among those in attendance. I've been at shows with this group, and know how much they appreciate each other. I just wish we could bottle up the formula for these successful gatherings, and use that witches brew to infect our membership with the inspiration to get together at meetings and shows. It’s been my experience that once you attend one of these events, you WILL want to go back to others. You CAN be infected with the inspiration to want to get together with like-minded El Camino gearheads, to see the successful builds, to see the works in progress, to offer and seek advice on building a complete car, and to experience the fellowship among people who actually like and respect others not only for what they mean to our hobby and lifestyle, but for who they are as a person.

To begin your personal infection, please go to a meeting or show in your area - if you can't find one that includes your fellow members, organize one! Start small, and build upon small successes. The Florida, Region 14, & California successes, Belton, and Lee Speedway events were not built overnight - years of small successes from many members built those up to where they are today. If you need guidance, talk to your Regional Director, Deputy Director, or any member of the Board of Directors. If you don't know who to contact in your area, go to http://www.elcaminocentral.com/forumdisplay.php?f=186 for a complete listing of Directors by Region and Title. Contact me “kenrogers1” (at kenrogers1@sbcglobal.net), past National Director “John Harris”, or your Director for assistance in finding members in your area. I promise you will get a ton of satisfaction when you’re building even a small meeting or other event – try it!..................Ken

Last edited by kenrogers1; 03-20-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:13 AM
National Director

Master Wrench

Arrow 2017 NECOA Action Plan (Part 1)

Below is the 2017 Action Plan in its entirety. Some of the language and references apply to the Board of Directors, but most apply to all of us. Thanks for your interest...............Ken

Communication With New Members is KEY!

For every new member who signs up, a message is sent to the appropriate Regional Director (RD) or Deputy Director (DD), or the Deputy National Director (DND) if there is no Director it the subject Region. That message contains information such as the user name, eMail address, hometown, & State. The leader responsible for that new member is then charged with making written contact to welcome and inform the new member. Experience has proved that many new members never sign back onto the Forum where they could receive a Private Message (PM), so I’m asking that the written communication be made via eMail instead of PM (by sending eMail, it’s possible that more new members will become active on our Forum and in the Association). In that message, the leader should inform the new member of how to contact leadership, copy the URL of the Region’s Discussion Forum, and should refer to any upcoming events that might be of interest to the new member. Our goal is to make the new member interested in becoming an active and contributing member of our Association. I’m attaching a message representative of what Lenny Carey, RD of Region 6, routinely sends out to his new members. We are also posting basic information about new members in the appropriate Regional Discussion Forum. From these postings, members should be encouraged to try contact with new members in their area. We cannot post eMail addresses on the Forum but will supply individual eMail addresses upon request by a member – as long as that address is used ONLY for welcoming purposes. Any other use and the member guilty of the mis-use would be subject to long-term discipline.

EXAMPLE: Welcome to NECOA (from Lenny Carey)
Hello *********, As our newest member and on behalf of the Region 6, Florida members of the National El Camino Owners Association, I want to welcome and invite you to join us for some El Camino fun. Welcome also from our four Deputy Directors - Skinyfisher, 87next2last1, Carretera, and Rtawk. Rtawk is also a Deputy National Director for the NECOA and a member of the Executive Board. We are a very active region and hope you will find the information you may be seeking.
Members that live in your area would welcome you joining them for a local event. Perhaps you will be able to contact others that live around you in the Region 6, Florida Forums. Should you wish to contact the Directors, contact info is posted as a sticky atop the Region 6 forums. Please post in the New Members forums and tell us a little about you and your Camino. Photos are always enjoyed by others. Please check out our conversations in the Region 6, FL forums for info on what`s going on around you, including our upcoming events. Feel free to add a comment, ask a question or start a thread of you own. Our next group get together is the popular 6th Annual Gainesville Get Together And 1/4 Mile Run in Gainesville this weekend on Feb. 17 and 18, 2017, the Cars Of Dreams Museum Mar. 12 and Super Chevy Show Apr. 21 and 22 in Palm Beach. While we enjoy displaying our rides, it is a fun, friendly and knowledgeable group. Unless a particular event we attend has other rules (very few do), all of our get-togethers welcome daily drivers, beaters, show cars and works in progress. You do not need a tricked out ride to join in the fun. Soooo, welcome, stop in and say hello! Thank you, Lenny Carey, Director of Region 6, Florida

Communication with Old Members is Also Key!

In trying to lure new more newly registered members into the fold, we cannot lose sight of the fact that we lose older, well-established, members every day. We must find ways to keep these members interested and contributing to our discussions. The Directors should be reaching out to members in their Region on a regular basis. If you will formulate the message, we in the National Director’s Office can get that message out via eMail rather than the less productive Private Messages (PMs) generally available. In your messages, include the URL to your Regional Discussion page, where postings of upcoming events can be viewed. If you believe your Region needs a Calendar of Events – and you will maintain the calendar – we can also make that happen. In addition to regularly posting announcements of upcoming events, the Directors should ensure that postings happen about events soon after they happen. Directors should talk at length about their positive experiences – and should encourage discussion about the happenings at past events and the photos that should accompany the event news. News and photos of good times can excite members and make them want to be a part of future events and discussions – at least it does that to me and the members that I have been associated with at events here in Texas, in Arkansas, in Pennsylvania, and Florida. Watch the Forum – almost every time there is news and photos about a successful show in some Region, members in other Regions will post questions about what is happening, or who wants to get together, or where are you located, in Region ??. Remember – Communicate, and accentuate the POSITIVE!

Back to the basics!

Think SMALL first. The larger area, or even Regional, turn-outs can be fed by organizing smaller membership meetings or gatherings at shows around the Region. Members who attend meetings and/or shows with other members find the interaction productive and generally want more interaction. Consider organizing meetings of small groups of members at locations around your Region or area. Start locally or with small distances of 50 or so miles, then increase the distances if you’re comfortable with traveling ****her. El Caminos do not have to be involved in the initial meetings, start with coffee or something like that – the Elkies can be brought in later – or you could meet up at a show somewhere.

If your personal travel cannot be extended to 50 or more miles, identify active members in your Region who may agree to meet with small groups of members in their area of the Region. Be creative in using the assets you may have at your disposal for the asking. We members planned and organized the beginnings of Belton well before one of us was named RD in Region 13. RDs, DDs, and some active members should try to organize at least 2 events per year, such as meetings, shows, cruises, or other gatherings of members. These gatherings should be in addition to the larger Regional events where possible.

Each Region should identify a minimum of one event per month for area members to consider attending. It is the responsibility of the RDs and DDs to find and promote attendance at area events. If there is no “Calendar of Events” for your Region on your “Regional Discussions” page, contact kenrogers1 and we’ll set one up. If the small gatherings around your Region become successful, larger events will be possible. If you need help or just some advice about organizing, contact your RD, DD, kenrogers1, rtatwk, SHARP71, or John Harris. We can tell you what is available as far as organizing assistance, and provide advice on how to begin.

See next Post for continuation....................

Old 03-20-2017, 11:16 AM
National Director

Master Wrench

Arrow 2017 NECOA Action Plan (Part 2)

Show the Flag Wherever Possible!

We as an Association have numerous banners with our Logo and Slogan in full color among the membership. If you can’t find one to borrow, you can purchase the NECOA banner at https://www.zazzle.com/necoa_small_banner-256561748983604903. In addition, there are larger, 3 foot by 8 foot banners provided to our larger Regions. Contact any member of the ND’s office for more information. As of late 2016, the Association has the NECOA windshield shades that provide a copy of our Logo and Slogan in brilliant color as our cars are lined up for display at car shows or simply parked in from of the local auto parts store. Members should be encouraged to obtain these shades to proudly display their association with the NECOA - while also providing a static advertisement of our Association! They are available for $20.00, including shipping, through the ND’s office.

Make it a habit to carry copies of our NECOA Flyer, and encourage your members at every opportunity to also carry copies. These can be distributed at shows, but are most handy for giving out to El Camino owners or drivers that you meet on the street and/or parking lots. Go here for copies: http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=61753. If you do not have the capability to make copies for handouts, and for supplying copies to your members for their use in handouts, please contact kenrogers1 and you will be provided copies. We need to take every opportunity to advertise our “brand” – the NECOA and elcaminocentral.com!

We Need Full Staffing!

We are currently short of a Regional or Deputy Director in 8 of our 25 Regions, and many Deputy Directors in large Regions where additional leadership is needed. I would greatly appreciate it if our leaders could keep watch for members throughout our Association that you feel like would be a candidate to move into the Directors’ ranks. Watch for those members who are knowledgably about El Caminos, seem to be interested in organizing other members, or who just wants to reach out to other members for other than new member greetings. Recommendations should not be based on a member’s popularity or number of posts, but on demonstrated knowledge and skills, desire to organize in his/her area, and willingness to assist others. There are no requirements for a large number of posts or long-term membership – leadership traits are most important along with our needs in a particular area or Region. Please bring your recommendations to the attention of kenrogers1.

We also need to invest in our Association’s future. Our leadership and most active members are getting older, and must eventually be updated by the next generation – and that next generation is our collective responsibility. Watch for younger members who fit the mold of a future leader. We need to nurture those young members, giving them encouragement and advice about building membership in their area, and showing them how to lead. This may well be the most important action any of us can undertake on behalf of our Association and hobby!
Old 04-24-2017, 11:52 AM

Name: Michael
Year: 1984
Model: Conquista
Region: 7 (AL,GA,TN)
NECOA #: 38978
Lilmike will become famous soon enough
Default Membership

I hear you when you speak of representatives. I signed up several years ago and , as of now, have not had anyone contact me. I don't even know what district I might be in. I must correct that. I was contacted about the show and get together in Gainsville, Fl. the weekend prior to gatorNationals. Let me know how I might could help.
Thanks, R. Michael aka:m Old Hippy
Old 04-25-2017, 12:17 PM
National Director

Master Wrench

Thumbs up Helping Out........

Thanks very much for your response, Michael. You can help our Association by getting involved with car shows in and around your community. Take your El Camino to the shows - you will find immediate interest, as many folks have never seen our unusual vehicle up close and personal. Take some of our NECOA Flyers with you, to give to those folks who always show up who know someone else with an El Camino, or have seen one parked on their street, on the way to school, or at the supermarket. Let me know if you need a supply printed and sent to you. You'll be surprised how many people will want to spread the word when they are asked to help, and have a Flyer in hand, to give out in the community. And remember, most folks who go to car shows are car folks just like you, who love cars and want to help any way they can!

Build from there, contacting other members around you, and you'll soon have a core group regularly attending area shows together. A couple of others within 100 miles doing the same as you and there will be wider-area shows coming soon! There is no Regional or Deputy Director for your Region (Region 7 - TN, AL, & GA), but Greg Harris ("Harris5898" on the forum - eMail is gharris5898@yahoo.com), Regional Director of Region 5 (SC & NC) has kindly offered his assistance. I can also look up members close to you and furnish limited information on how to reach out to them. But building a network takes time, so don't get discouraged when you may not initially see progress. Progress will follow your efforts. Contact me at any time..............Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmike View Post
I hear you when you speak of representatives. I signed up several years ago and , as of now, have not had anyone contact me. I don't even know what district I might be in. I must correct that. I was contacted about the show and get together in Gainsville, Fl. the weekend prior to gatorNationals. Let me know how I might could help.
Thanks, R. Michael aka:m Old Hippy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Postal Code
Required
Street Address
Complete, verifiable Street or other address required (Hidden)
City
Your city or town
State or Province
Required
Location area within State
Which selection best describes the area of the State that you live in.
Country
Required
NECOA Region
Required
Year of Vehicle
Required
Make of Vehicle
Required
Model of Vehicle
Required
Real Name
Required. Your real name to be shown in your posts and profile.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.