84 elky's Door Weatherstrip and sound deadening - El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums
El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums

Ground Up
User Name
Password
Go Back   El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums > Body & Chassis > Interior Restoration

Old 03-20-2017, 11:59 AM
Master Wrench

Name: toyin
Year: 1984
Model: Conquista
Region: 20(HI)
NECOA #: 59257
toyinhawaii will become famous soon enough
Garage
Default 84 elky's Door Weatherstrip and sound deadening

Sometimes El Camino Central is too much..hahaha..in a good way..too much info. So, sorry these 2 questions have been talked about many times for different year models and either help or the link to the post that refers would be appreciated.

Door weatherstrip: I'm in need roof rail and door weatherstrip and saw some old post (2012) about it but was wondering the current best choices...soffseal, metro (rockauto)..mmm something steele in Colorado? Some post talked about where not to go and some where too go. Oh, and the Belt Weatherstrip / Window Scraper Seal (felt and rubber) This one I printed out a while back(I think I still have it ) was where to go to buy the material to redo the rails instead of buying them. Was this still the preferred way (cheaper).

Sound deadening material: I have some Thermo-tec for the floor but wanted to put more in the doors/roof etc. and saw post of the Peel & Seal Instant Waterproof Repairs 6-in x 25-ft Aluminum Roll Flashing Item # 154017 Model # PS625 at Lowes and Home Depot..was this the preferred stuff to use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 12:15 PM
Motor Mouth

Name: Mike
Region: 18(CA)
NECOA #: 74001
1984 cal Elky is an unknown quantity at this point
Garage

I just installed the Softseal door weather strips , they seem like a decent repo , be sure to get some 3m weather strip adhesive to glue down the big pads at front and rear or they will lift up on you .
Old 03-20-2017, 12:38 PM

Master Wrench

Year: 1978
Model: El Camino
Region: 19(AK,ID,OR,WA)
NECOA #: 3102
78 Elk is just really nice

I put in the seals I purchased from Mike's Monte. Couldn't get them to seal. I just purchased new seals from Steele Rubber Products. They are awesome.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:58 PM

Master Wrench

Name: Don
Region: 8 (OH,WV)
NECOA #: 23695
Nicks 1984 elcamino has a spectacular aura about
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 Elk View Post
I put in the seals I purchased from Mike's Monte. Couldn't get them to seal. I just purchased new seals from Steele Rubber Products. They are awesome.
X2 Nothing else needs to be said!!!
Old 03-20-2017, 02:23 PM
Master Wrench

Garage

I went to the Steele Rubber Products website and saw the:

Roof rail weatherstrip
p/n: 82-0037-68.........................$135.00
and
Door weatherstrips
p/n: 70-3534-72.........................$124.30

saw my shipping to Hawaii was 75.00 then put my brothers zip in (Arkansas )and there was no charge..must be no charge for the 48 states..i'll see how big the items are then maybe have my brother put them in a USPS box and send them to me.

I saw the beltline weatherstrip pn 80-0890-57 for 181.30 and beltline weatherstrip pn 80-0535-57 for 135.40. Wonder why the difference??..the cheaper one said "made from standard aftermarket material" wonder if this is Chinese stuff vs made in usa stuff . I saw some universal beltline weatherstrip and scraper seal stuff from 37.00 to about 44.00 a pr., guess I would have to measure width and heights on those to get the correct one for mine, any of you try this universal stuff?
Old 03-20-2017, 10:10 PM
Master Wrench

Name: Bob
Year: 1966
Region: 17(NV)
NECOA #: 12656
Tophog will become famous soon enough
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 Elk View Post
Different application - '66 Elkie - but the generic door weatherstrip I bought through a major parts place fit like crap. Way too fat, and too solid. Couldn't get close to closing the doors!

Paid about twice as much for Steele Products weatherstrip, but it was well worth it! Perfect fit and spongy, like it should be!

Low, not slow, '66 Elkie. - 327, 3.31 posi, 5 speed sleeper.
'90 Jeep Wrangler
'06 Sierra 4x4
'13 Chevy Cruze
'63 custom Harley Pan/Shovel
'95 custom Harley Softail

Navy veteran, '76-80
Moderator - Nevada Shooters
Old 03-22-2017, 10:02 AM
Master Wrench

Garage

ok, thanks all for the Roof rail and door weatherstrip recommendation for the Steele Products vendor. I went to Lowes the other day to take a look at the Peel & Seal Instant Waterproof Repairs 6-in x 25-ft Aluminum Roll Flashing Item # 154017, is this stuff really for sound deadening for the roof and doors? it looks so thin and seems to be for waterproofing. And for the beltline weatherstrip universal stuff.. it looks like I may have to have it shipped to my brothers house as well..shipping to HI is $50..I'll have him throw it in a tube and send it USPS..surely USPS cant want $50 for shipping
Old 03-23-2017, 06:01 AM
Master Wrench

Name: JJ
Year: 1985
Model: El Camino SS
Region: 13(TX)
NECOA #: 12122
JJLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeJJLT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=212137

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:51 AM
ZERO MPG

Master Wrench

Name: Robert
Year: 1987
NECOA #: 18458
HKDUP87 has a brilliant future
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyinhawaii View Post
Sometimes El Camino Central is too much..hahaha..in a good way..too much info. So, sorry these 2 questions have been talked about many times for different year models and either help or the link to the post that refers would be appreciated.

Door weatherstrip: I'm in need roof rail and door weatherstrip and saw some old post (2012) about it but was wondering the current best choices...soffseal, metro (rockauto)..mmm something steele in Colorado? Some post talked about where not to go and some where too go. Oh, and the Belt Weatherstrip / Window Scraper Seal (felt and rubber) This one I printed out a while back(I think I still have it ) was where to go to buy the material to redo the rails instead of buying them. Was this still the preferred way (cheaper).

Sound deadening material: I have some Thermo-tec for the floor but wanted to put more in the doors/roof etc. and saw post of the Peel & Seal Instant Waterproof Repairs 6-in x 25-ft Aluminum Roll Flashing Item # 154017 Model # PS625 at Lowes and Home Depot..was this the preferred stuff to use?
Peel & Seal all the way. It won't come off so mark all the screw holes.

This stuff is great and I think the complete job with padding cost less than $130.00 from top to bottom I left nothing uncovered. Lowers is the only place with the Peel/Seal don't use the stuff from HomeDepot it's crap.

Here's doing the inner door panels and there's more videos in my photobucket

http://s1135.photobucket.com/user/HK...tml?sort=2&o=0

http://s1135.photobucket.com/user/HK...tml?sort=2&o=6

Here's some video of it done.

http://s1135.photobucket.com/user/HK...ml?sort=2&o=18

Also anti-fatigue padding at Lowes you want deadening and Cush in the carpet.

http://s1135.photobucket.com/user/HK...tml?sort=2&o=3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

(this post was written by a well used crash test dummy, on a closed course. No armadillos were harmed in the making of this post. Your mileage may vary. If you have a stiff upper lip lasting more than four hours, seek medical assistance. Reading this post may cause bleary eyes in men over 50, and is known to cause a significant reduction in brain cells....)

Knowledge before $$$$ is my new philosophy!!!!!!
Old 03-23-2017, 12:27 PM
Master Wrench

Garage

Thanks JJ..saw the link

Robert,
Yours, I believe was the one I saw posted from 2012 and I couldn't see any of your work done but now since you reposted the pics and vids I saw all of it..So what I gather is the peel and seal is good for the vibration and somewhat for sound but the anti-fatigue matting is for sound barrier, I don't recall seeing it at Lowes..it must be on the big spools they use for the carpet. How did the fitment end up on the door panels and headliner with those extra layers..everything snap and pop back into place ok? That anti-fatigue matting you used in the door skin panels..did you glue them in or cut them with a tight fit?
Old 03-23-2017, 02:59 PM
ZERO MPG

Master Wrench

Name: Robert
Year: 1987
NECOA #: 18458
HKDUP87 has a brilliant future
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyinhawaii View Post
Thanks JJ..saw the link

Robert,
Yours, I believe was the one I saw posted from 2012 and I couldn't see any of your work done but now since you reposted the pics and vids I saw all of it..So what I gather is the peel and seal is good for the vibration and somewhat for sound but the anti-fatigue matting is for sound barrier, I don't recall seeing it at Lowes..it must be on the big spools they use for the carpet. How did the fitment end up on the door panels and headliner with those extra layers..everything snap and pop back into place ok? That anti-fatigue matting you used in the door skin panels..did you glue them in or cut them with a tight fit?
The headliner has a opening all around the frame so the padding slip in like nothing was added. door panels fit fine. The padding is on the big rolls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Postal Code
Required
Street Address
Complete, verifiable Street or other address required (Hidden)
City
Your city or town
State or Province
Required
Location area within State
Which selection best describes the area of the State that you live in.
Country
Required
NECOA Region
Required
Year of Vehicle
Required
Make of Vehicle
Required
Model of Vehicle
Required
Real Name
Required. Your real name to be shown in your posts and profile.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.