TH350 will not shift into 2nd - El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums
El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums

Ground Up
Notices

User Name
Password

Old 06-08-2005, 03:46 PM

Twisted Wrench

NECOA #: 4942
brerfox will become famous soon enough
Default TH350 will not shift into 2nd

Ok so the problem is my transmission will not shift into second gear. So someone suggested to change the vaccum modulator. It still wouldn't shift into second gear then I posted my problem in the engine section of the forums and I was told to check the "Kickdown cable". When I found the cable I saw that it was pulled all the way forward. I wiggled it back into place then pushed the throttle to wide open and i watched it pull the cable out again and when I let go it stayed there and didn't go back to its normal position. I've looked but I still can't figure out why its getting stuck and if this even has anything to do with my shifting problem. Please if you have any advise of what to look for or what to check let me know. I took it to a tranny repair place and the guy said something about the governor being possibly being stuck (he wasn't even sure) but they couldnt do anything without "opening the transmission" which he then quoted me $300 to open it and then up to $900 to replace parts inside. This seemed to me like a rip off so i left and im tight on money anyways so any advise would help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Twisted Wrench

NECOA #: 5447
Papasetti will become famous soon enough
Default shift

It may seem simple but ck the vacume line is secure at the source.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:08 PM

Twisted Wrench

Well so far with my elky all its major problems have turned out to be simple things so i wouldn't be surprised. My only question is where on the vacuum line? I checked it where it meets the modulator when I first had the problem and it was off a little but I fixed it and put on a small clamp to hold it. Is there somewhere else I should be looking?
Old 06-08-2005, 09:33 PM
Master Wrench

Year: 1986
Model: Caballero
Region: 7 (AL,GA,TN)
NECOA #: 1271
spoonplugger will become famous soon enough

Make sure the vacuum line does not have any holes (leaks) and check the other end of the hose for a snug fit on the fitting. Mine attaches to a port coming directly off the intake manifold, but yours may be connected somewhere else.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:48 PM

Twisted Wrench

Doesn't seem to be any problem with the vacuum. One thing I've been told that makes some sense is the governor. I heard that the governor gear can strip and then the tranny will not shift only problem is im really not too sure what to look for or how to get to the governor. Also is it possible to replace the governor?? Ive only seen kits to change shift points using springs and weights but not to replace it entirely
Old 06-13-2005, 04:58 PM

Twisted Wrench

OK so i've found out where the governor is but its behind a kind of circular cap. Is there anyone out there that can at least tell me how to remove the cap so i can get to the governor???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement