Rear A6 bracket & vortec intake - El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums
El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums

Ground Up
Notices

User Name
Password

Old 02-01-2006, 08:46 PM
Director Region 18 (CA) Participating Member

Master Wrench

Name: Danny
Year: 1971
Model: El Camino
Region: 18(CA)
NECOA #: 352
Sharp71 has a spectacular aura about
Garage
Default Rear A6 bracket & vortec intake

I have yanked the ol' stock 350 for a fresh 350/330HP crate.

One of the many little challenges of this project is mounting the A/C compressor onto the Edelbrock vortec style intake.

The rear A/C adjusting bracket used the middle two intake bolts on the old intake, but the new intake has NO middle bolts!

Anyone have an example of a fabricated bracket? Or better yet, an aftermarket supplier!

SHARP71 - NECOA #352
Director-Region 18
"Not all who wander are lost"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2006, 07:14 PM

Master Wrench

NECOA #: 6351
jayachtee will become famous soon enough

Is that a 2116/7116? I had to do some minor modification to my bracket to fit the EPS fit properly. Could you fabricate a plate between the two hold down bolts and drill it to hold the A/C bracket? Just an idea.

I haven't been able to find anything out about after market brackets for the A-6.

John a.k.a. JayAchTee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

350/TH350?
Old 03-13-2006, 12:23 PM
Motor Mouth

NECOA #: 2768
engineer will become famous soon enough

do not need rear AC bracket on intake. just leave it off. Compressor is supported by bottom sufficently.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:27 PM

Master Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer
do not need rear AC bracket on intake. just leave it off. Compressor is supported by bottom sufficently.
Is that true? You mean I can drop that bracket in the recycle bin and put on tall valve covers with roller rockers under them?
Old 03-13-2006, 06:11 PM
El Camino Central Founder/Administrator/NECOA Board of Directors
Vendor

Master Wrench

Name: Robert M.
Year: 1987
Model: El Camino SS
Region: 13(TX)
NECOA #: 124
acauth1 has a reputation beyond reputeacauth1 has a reputation beyond reputeacauth1 has a reputation beyond reputeacauth1 has a reputation beyond reputeacauth1 has a reputation beyond reputeacauth1 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayachtee
Quote:
Is that true? You mean I can drop that bracket in the recycle bin and put on tall valve covers with roller rockers under them?
Sure, leave the rear mount off if you enjoy listening to and feeling the compressor vibrating all the time! The mount is there for a reason. You can leave it off, but it will be pretty noisy...even when the a/c is off.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.
George Orwell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Old 03-14-2006, 04:53 AM

Master Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by acauth1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayachtee
Quote:
Sure, leave the rear mount off if you enjoy listening to and feeling the compressor vibrating all the time! The mount is there for a reason. You can leave it off, but it will be pretty noisy...even when the a/c is off.
Thanks, Robert. Sometimes engineers use a bit of over kill but apparently not in this case. I'll keep the quite.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:04 PM
Venerated Member

Master Wrench

NECOA #: 2314
Mrapii will become famous soon enough

That rear A6 compressor top mount is pretty hefty and I think eliminating it could be a mistake. Generally speaking when a new new vehicle is designed (especially a lower cost vehicle) the engineers don't design anything into it that is not necessary.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:28 PM

Master Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrapii
That rear A6 compressor top mount is pretty hefty and I think eliminating it could be a mistake. Generally speaking when a new new vehicle is designed (especially a lower cost vehicle) the engineers don't design anything into it that is not necessary.
I think you are right and here in SC we need AC to live.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:55 PM
Director Region 18 (CA) Participating Member

Master Wrench

Name: Danny
Year: 1971
Model: El Camino
Region: 18(CA)
NECOA #: 352
Sharp71 has a spectacular aura about
Garage

Thanks Guys,

I went with jayachtee's idea 'bout fab'ing a plate across the two mounting holes on my 2116. It came out fairly decent.

I used a 5" piece of an old garage door hinge (5"X 1-1/2" X 1/4") , cut to fit, drilled/tapped two holes for the A/C bracket and two more to secure to the intake. The original bracket needed only slight tweaking to fit. The plate is hardly noticeable and I believe GM put those heavy brackets there for a reason.

Anyway, I'm getting pretty good at this backyard engineering!
Next.. A rear sway bar out of an ol' swing set!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement