El Camino Central Forum banner

What is your interest in an El Camino Registry controlled by the NECOA/elcaminocentra

• My interset is very HIGH.

Votes: 26 24.3%
  • My interest is MODERATE.

Votes: 35 32.7%
  • I have little interest in an NECOA Registry.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I would enter my El Camino in an NECOA Registry.

Votes: 52 48.6%
  • I would NOT participate in an NECOA Registry.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Forget it - its a bad idea!

Votes: 3 2.8%

El Camino/GMC Registry

7K views 43 replies 26 participants last post by  72 Elko 
#1 · (Edited)
The idea of an NECOA maintained Registry of El Camino type automobiles has been brought up by a member. While there is at least one El Camino Registry that is currently active, that Registry has only just over 100 El Caminos included in its database. And that is after several years being open for registrations. I can see some benefits to a Registry maintained by the largest El Camino Association in the World, but I can also see a lot of work involved if we were to design and operate this type of Registry. A Registry would be a great place to document the rare options and equipment that we own, and to establish the current condition of those automobiles entered in the Registry. I visualize a searchable database where we could look for various features, locate an owner, and discuss common issues.The purpose of this poll is to gauge the interest of our membership in such a Registry. Please indicate your interest by answering the Poll questions as honestly as possible. Please also feel free to provide your comments as input into future decisions about how the may proceed in this project, or not.......................Ken

#2 ·
I like the Idea . I believe Art has kept trac of the vin numbers and choochoo recerts , perhaps this would be a way for each owner to have a nice 8x12 registry certificate . I am sure we can find an empty space on our walls or story boards for the ''shows''.

#3 ·
it would be a good thing for those, who have kept their elco original/ to factory specs, but we tend to modify our elky's beyond factory, so im not so sure what a registry is good for? sounds like lots of work, with some upside.

#4 ·
Would be interested . If started, can the existing one be merged to one site / group / forum ? And also have some form of protection for the TRUE Rare Trucks from those undesirable persons . As members and guests know documentation is important to owners . I am sure their are other unanswered questions to be added to this list ...

#7 ·
I have some concern of the data base being hacked ,then used to find certain El's to be stolen . As of now I get nervous at shows when people walk up to our El's and take a pic of I.D. card on dash that includes our name and town where we live , then walk away . Very suspicious ,just my 2 cents .

#13 ·
Legimate Concerns.................

I want to ask our computer programmers within the Association to suggest a way to design a Registry that could be secure. I visualize a searchable database, but with address, other than hometown, not being accessible to anyone but through the database Administrators and releasable only through personal request. User names would be searchable as contact information. Parts of the VIN, like the sequential production numbers, could be hidden. There would be selectable options for stock, modified, or bumper to bumper original, also for factory engine, transmission, and rear end.. A narrative section would be available for describing any modifications or resto-mod builds. Trim codes would be entered, as would information about current paint and clone information. Photos would be a part of the records.

I know that Cyberray and, I believe, Bas-Sr, have programming experience - I do not know the level of their expertise. Maybe they and other members could give some workable advice on how our data in a Registry could be protected, and possibly work with the technicians at AutoForums to provide protections. The need for a Registry is self-evident, with the sole existing containing just over 100 entries - there are 10s of thousands of El Camino and GMC siblings still on the road. Valuable information about our special automobiles is lost with each passing year. We need to act in some way to stop this loss as best we can - if it's possible to accomplish while mitigating the risk. Let's hear from the 'puter folks.....................Ken

#18 ·
Also in............

BAS-Sr is also interested in working out the concerns. I sent an eMail to Cyberray but haven't received a response.....................Ken

#21 ·
Registry Questions............

As much as I would like to see a workable Registry for El Camino/GMC Variants, the facts must be faced head-on. After reviewing both BAS-Sr’s and Cyberray’s comments, it may be that this is a much more complicated undertaking - both logistically and legally - than we are prepared to take on as an Association. And, as of today, we’ve had 62 members contribute to the Poll data. Of those 62 members who have voted, only 58 percent (36) have indicated they would participate in a Registry. That’s probably not totally reflective of the Association’s heartbeat, as this is the time of the year with historically low participation – but it does show, so far, that there is insufficient interest to proceed. Couple that lack of interest with the probable complications of putting a workable Registry in play, and a clearer picture emerges. I’m going to put the possible planning process on hold for a couple more weeks to see if the “interest” data of the Poll changes over a longer period. If the data changes to indicate a much broader interest, then we’ll revisit the possible planning. THANKS very much, BAS-Sr & Cyberray, and all the other members who have contributed so far, for your constructive offerings and suggestions………………Ken

#22 ·
Ken
It is very expensive to lock a server/database down tight enough to provide security of addresses, emails etc. The expenses ae ongoing, with the need to have logs checked daily by trained personnel.

#23 ·
There are numerous manners to achieve something like this, no matter which method is chosen, involves a lot of work by either admin, programming, or implementation staff to keep going and how you design the data security will feed directly into those areas. Planning is what it is all about, no quick, easy way to just gather the data and have it available.

We live in a world that if someone can access the data to misuse the it, then they will most likely do so!

#27 ·
it seems like 4 out of 3 people are in or have interest in this project . I did the math ,51% +33%+22% = 106% minus 7.22% - 4.12% - 3.09 % is , letsee , carry the one ,gazinta 7 , move the decimal over , aw heck ,most of us or at least the respondents , but maybe the new ''core'' math shows otherwise.:sly:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.