Brand new chevy 350 crate motor vs a old 350 rebuilt motor. - El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums
El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums

Ground Up
User Name
Password
Go Back   El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums > General Topics > General BS Topics

Old 11-21-2008, 02:14 PM

Master Wrench

Name: Samir
Year: 1968
Model: El Camino Classic
Region: 18(CA)
NECOA #: 12516
ElkyHolik87 has a spectacular aura about
Default Brand new chevy 350 crate motor vs a old 350 rebuilt motor.

What do you guys think is better? The bran new turnkey 350 from chevy for $2800 and a 5 year unlimited mile warrentie with all the options you want, you could make 400 hp for a grand more or for around 4k. Does all that sound better than geting a old 350 block and with new performence parts in it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2008, 02:59 PM

Master Wrench

Year: 1981
Model: El Camino
Region: 15(AZ,MN)
NECOA #: 10934
toms84ss has a spectacular aura about

Unless GM has a new crate engine, I don't recall any of them having that long of a warranty period, let alone unlimited mileage. The most I ever recall seeing was a 3 year 50,000 mile warranty. That was on the base 230 horse 350 crate engine. where did you get this information???
Old 11-21-2008, 03:30 PM

Master Wrench

Year: 1984
Region: 13(TX)
NECOA #: 12098
DONE DEAL DONNY has a reputation beyond reputeDONE DEAL DONNY has a reputation beyond reputeDONE DEAL DONNY has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

I got a brand new 350 from ATK complete, plugs wires everything except carb, starter, and fan asm. 36,000 mile 3 year warranty. They would even pay you $35.00 and hour to work on it if it only needed simple repair. I called and told them it had a oil leak and they sent me die and a black light to locate it. Great motor great service. $1600.00 from Oreilies
auto parts. I highly recommend them. It was made in Mexico but after all it was a El Camino. I never had any problems.
Donny
#12, 1984 El Camino "Bumping Uglies"

Old 11-22-2008, 12:12 AM

Master Wrench

Year: 1977
Region: 8 (OH,WV)
NECOA #: 1971
Elky77 will become famous soon enough

Is your car "numbers matching" and is the fact that it is factory correct important to you? Then rebuild the motor you have.

If not, does your current motor have tons of wear on it? Web cracks in the block casting? Years of heat that causes brittle metal conditions. You have to do an align bore, cylinder bore, head plaining and block plaining, new cam, lifters, new rockers and push rods, on and on and on.....plus the labor and time.

A "New Motor" versus a rebuilt "OLD" motor at even money........

Your decision!

Please let us know what you decide.

Elky77
Old 11-23-2008, 01:46 PM

Master Wrench

Name: Samir
Year: 1968
NECOA #: 12516
ElkyHolik87 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the input guys. Yes it is all numbers matching its bone stock from carb to oil pan, and the motor is in great shape. This info I got is from the local recycler paper there were like four pages back to back of engin and transmission rebuilders. To rebuild my 327 the only thing they would reuse is the crank and cylinder heads wich they rebuild and the intake othere then that its all new parts and that would coast $1200 installed, a 350 would be under a grand. The guy I was talking to has been in the same spot for 30 years and has build 100k motors. He told me that he has bran new chevy motors just like the original motors in our cars but new for $2800 for a 350 with a five year unlimited mile warranty. I'll give you guys the number if you would like to hear it from him.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:21 AM

Name: Buddy Barnard
Year: 1977
NECOA #: 22788
buddyb will become famous soon enough

ELKYHOLIK87 yes I'd like to get the phone number of the guy that you're talking about that's been in the same spot for 30 years. My 350 is froze up, I need to get it running as cheap as possible.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:36 AM

Master Wrench

Name: EaR
Year: 1966
NECOA #: 21184
fauxrs has a reputation beyond reputefauxrs has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkyHolik87 View Post
Thanks for the input guys. Yes it is all numbers matching its bone stock from carb to oil pan, and the motor is in great shape. This info I got is from the local recycler paper there were like four pages back to back of engin and transmission rebuilders. To rebuild my 327 the only thing they would reuse is the crank and cylinder heads wich they rebuild and the intake othere then that its all new parts and that would coast $1200 installed, a 350 would be under a grand. The guy I was talking to has been in the same spot for 30 years and has build 100k motors. He told me that he has bran new chevy motors just like the original motors in our cars but new for $2800 for a 350 with a five year unlimited mile warranty. I'll give you guys the number if you would like to hear it from him.
TBH, that kind of rebuild is not a rebuild I would want, I simply dont believe you can start with nothing but a crankshaft and build a motor around it with all new parts & labor for under a grand for a 350, not without using the cheapest lowest common denominator parts available on the planet. A quality rebuild of the heads alone could cost half that, yet they will provide block, pistons, rings, rods, bearings, gaskets. etc.. etc... plus the labor to assemble and install for less than a grand - I wouldnt touch it with a ten foot pole unless I was getting ready to sell the car.

See if the warranty is in writing, GM doesnt provide an unlimited mile warranty on a brand new cars engine, they sure as hell dont provide one on crates, but it sounds from above that its not a GM crate but one of their builds. Did this guy seriously claim to have built 100,000 motors over 30 years? (over 9 motors a day 365 days/year, the only day off he gets is on leap years), or was he claiming he's built motors that have gone 100,000 miles? The former feels like a bald faced lie, the latter isnt all that hard to do.

Last edited by fauxrs; 10-10-2012 at 06:43 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:44 AM

Master Wrench

Name: jkk
Year: 1967
Region: 13(TX)
NECOA #: 21960
jkk has a spectacular aura about
Garage

CRATE
CRATE
CRATE
CRATE
CRATE
CRATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got a ZZ 383 Love it
Old 10-10-2012, 07:15 AM
ZERO MPG

Master Wrench

Name: Robert
Year: 1987
Model: Conquista
NECOA #: 18458
HKDUP87 has a brilliant future
Garage

I just put a 350 260hp long block crate from jegs $1649.00 delivered 100,000 mile 3 year warranty no it was 1469.00

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

(this post was written by a well used crash test dummy, on a closed course. No armadillos were harmed in the making of this post. Your mileage may vary. If you have a stiff upper lip lasting more than four hours, seek medical assistance. Reading this post may cause bleary eyes in men over 50, and is known to cause a significant reduction in brain cells....)

Knowledge before $$$$ is my new philosophy!!!!!!

Last edited by HKDUP87; 10-10-2012 at 07:21 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:51 AM

Master Wrench

Name: arthur
Year: 1984
Region: 14(AR,LA,MS)
NECOA #: 3532
84withzz4 will become famous soon enough

X6 on jjk...GM CRATE is the way to go...my ZZ4 is over 10 years old and still runs like a scalded dog!!! So go ZZ4 for 355 hp, or ZZ383 for 425 hp....
Veterans Administration retired 1967-1997
Old 10-10-2012, 10:39 AM
Motor Mouth

Year: 1980
Model: El Camino SS
Region: 3 (DE,NJ,PA)
NECOA #: 11014
80sselky will become famous soon enough

Gm crate motors are pretty tough to beat if you want a warranty and are willing to deal with a "standardized" performance build. A fair amount of people are pretty happy with the power output of ZZ4 and aren't really looking for more power than it puts out. Many people want drop in power and don't want to have to a slight modification. In my case the efficiency of a ZZ4 wasn't quite enough for me, so I did my own 350 build with the vortec heads & intake, etc.... What helped alot was having all the proper tools to check & assemble stuff with that extra degree of precision. Plus, finding that extra particularly good machine shop that has impeccable work can be tough to find in some areas of the country, which is stuff I had already found. I can tell you when I was said and done with all the machine work (and assembling the motor between my Dad & self for all the assembly work so no labor costs there) I was definitely over the $2,800 mark in parts. But, most people don't install such things as the Fel-Pro retro-fit one piece oil pan seal that is rubber with the metal core for a driver's side dipstick (which I highly recommend).

Unless you have the vital assembly knowledge available & tools of how to assemble the motor properly per what you want or know someone who does, I am definitely going with alot of the other members in this thread in recommending a GM crate motor.
Vortec heads and vortec RPM intake
350 Turbo Tranny
GN 3.42 8.5" rear
(sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Postal Code
Required
Street Address
Complete, verifiable Street or other address required (Hidden)
City
Your city or town
State or Province
Required
Location area within State
Which selection best describes the area of the State that you live in.
Country
Required
NECOA Region
Required
Year of Vehicle
Required
Make of Vehicle
Required
Model of Vehicle
Required
Real Name
Required. Your real name to be shown in your posts and profile.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.