Blank roll pans. Steel or fiberglass? - El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums
El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums

Ground Up
User Name
Password

Old 03-17-2004, 09:54 PM
Gear Head

NECOA #: 2569
Strebor will become famous soon enough
Default Blank roll pans. Steel or fiberglass?

Which one would be easier to adapt to mount your own taillights? I guess for steel I'd have to weld a bit of metal to mount the stuff, but what would I have to do to a fiberglass one? And if steel would be easier, where can I find a blank one with the license plate cutout?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2004, 11:10 PM

Master Wrench

Year: 1978
Model: El Camino
Region: 18(CA)
NECOA #: 2160
nowukno will become famous soon enough

I used a fiberglass blank rollpan from lauren engineering you can see the pic in the 5th gen section album nowukno on the 10th page..
Old 03-18-2004, 09:50 AM
Venerated Member

Master Wrench

Year: 1980
Model: El Camino SS
Region: 13(TX)
NECOA #: 3
ElkyPete is just really nice

Here is Lauren Engineering's address http://www.laureneng.com/

I can recomend them and they do, in my opinion, good quality work.

1972 El Camino Custom 400
1976 El Camino Classic
1980 El Camino Super Sport
E-Mail:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:22 PM
NECOA Founder

Master Wrench

Name: Dan
Year: 1987
Model: El Camino SS
Region: 7 (AL,GA,TN)
NECOA #: 1
ElkySS will become famous soon enough

This one if from Lauren. http://www.elcaminocentral.com/modul...bum.php&page=2
Had to split one end and spread it to make it fit perfectly. It was off about 1/2" on the Pass. side.
This is the second Lauren panel we did this to.
NECOA member Bill Waxler and I made the t/l housings from round pipe and he then "boxed" a housing around them, then we fiberglassed the housings to each side of the rolled pan after cutting the holes for the housings to match up.
We had trouble with the original plan to use "Red LED" bulbs and clear lenses...couldn't get my sequential turn signal controls to draw enough juice to run the large LED bulbs. So, we went with "Plan-B" and used red Corvette Sting Ray lenses and regular 1157 bulbs. The sequential turn signals are "trick". It's off to the painter for spraying the filled in tailgate the rolled pan and respraying the custom hood inserts this weekend.
'84 ChooChoo SS (sold)
'02 Corvette
Old 03-18-2004, 03:54 PM

Motor Mouth

Year: 1985
Model: El Camino
Region: 12(MO,OK,KS)
NECOA #: 4
elmpala will become famous soon enough

I don't think its a question of which one is easier. You won't find a steel rollpan for the Elky. My fist one was from Lauren without a plate cutout, the second one had the plate cutout. Both of them required modification to fit my car. On the first one I used the standard taillamps. On the second one I modified the stock taillights by removing the backup lignts, rotated them 180 degrees and cut in some KC Hiliter halogen backup lights. I epoxied in some stainless steel bolts to allow attachment of the taillamps from the rear. Over time you could see the outline of the bolt heads. I never tried to mould it in because a friend tried and eventually it started to crack. When I did my rear end for the third time, after another accident, I looked high and low for a steel rollpan. A fullsize is to long a S10 is to short and they both need extensive metal work to match up with the bumper bump on the rear quarters. I was lucky enough to find a bodyman who works in steel who rolled me a pan and got rid of the bumper bumps at the same time. Good luck in your quest. Check out my construction pictures in 5th members gallery page 9 sheet 2.
NECOA MEMBER #004
Old 03-18-2004, 09:12 PM

Master Wrench

NECOA #: 2166
86camino will become famous soon enough

we made the one on my elky it took the better part of the day but it's a one of a kind.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:28 PM

Master Wrench

Year: 1982
Model: Caballero
Region: 13(TX)
NECOA #: 2725
Furious82 will become famous soon enough

I bought a steel one for my 81 but i dont remember what company i bought it from. They didnt stock them so they made me one. I got a solid one with the liscense plate mount in the middle and put some 97 cadillac taillights in. The nasty humps on the corners of the quarter panals i shaved off and made them flush with the rest of the body. If i fure out who i got it from ill let you know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.