Master Wrench

Name: james clendenon
Year: 1971
Model: El Camino SS
Region: 16(CO,MT,WY,UT)
NECOA #: 9525
skssrat has a spectacular aura about
Default why i hate imports

I don’t really hate imports. I’ve driven about a million of them at the auction over the past five years or so. They get fairly good mpg, get you from point A to B without much fuss and a few like WRX handle like they are on rails and are incredibly fast. Having said that they also have two huge drawbacks, they all pretty much look alike or as guy parked next to me at the last car show I did put it “they have no personality, they all pretty much look alike”. They are also pretty much impossible to work on for the average person. if your “check engine light comes on” see your dealer. If your fuel pump goes out, be prepared to pull your gas tank to replace it. They are anything but “user friendly” when it comes to working on them.
Even that I can understand, I guess what bothers me most about them are the kids that now build them and I use the term “build them” loosely here because to me building a car does not consist of a loud stereo, wing, body kit and a K&N air filter. I’m sure I’m not alone when I talk about encounters I’ve had with these kids and their “dirty looks” directed towards me driving around town in the SS. They just hate the fact that a 40 year old car will kick their *** any day of the week and 40 years from now no one is going want or remember that silly car they are driving today.
If dealing with them on the street is bad, dealing with them on the net far worse. All of their cars seem to run 10 sec quarter mile times yet none seem to know their 60 ft times? They all put out at least 600hp because of the turbos and nos they run but, none can seem to explain where they got the money to build a 30,000 dollar engine?
Forgive me for my lack of tolerance of the “import crowd” but, I for one have had a belly full of “not really that fast and furious over the fact that a good v-8 will always put them to shame” on any given day.
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2010, 08:35 PM

Master Wrench

Name: steve
Year: 1970
Model: El Camino
Region: 13(TX)
NECOA #: 17362
centex396 is just really nice

They are just jealous of American power and wished they too could could afford one.
BTW some of those ricers are pretty quick but lack style.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:11 PM
Deputy Director, Region 13

Master Wrench

Year: 1968
Region: 13(TX)
NECOA #: 12098
DONE DEAL DONNY has a reputation beyond reputeDONE DEAL DONNY has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Say what you want to but I won't try and keep up with my sons Skyline. rocketship fast and will out corner a rollercoaster. It's not my thing but he can get a cpu and tune it to a T.
I like a big V-8 American muscle, but some of those little rice burners can tear you up ( maybe not you but me) I just won't back down cause I play who's got the bigger b-lls!!!!
Donny
#12, 1984 El Camino "Bumping Uglies"
Old 09-16-2010, 11:19 PM

Master Wrench

Year: 1975
Region: 9 (IN,KY,MI)
NECOA #: 13978
steelybill is of outstanding character

Speaking of
they all look alike, you just described American cars too. Hard to tell who built the dam thing, let alone what goofy model name the big 3 auto makers hung on it..
No one builds a full sidzed car now it seems, and the new biggest Buick is the same size as a new Malibu. Same thing with SUVs, they all look the same. The big Ford is now only built for cop cars. They stuck us with front wheel drive, to save production money on the drive train, then made them all smaller. Can't think of any new car that I would want at this point in time, for a family type car.

(rant over)

The Malibu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:42 PM
Master Wrench

Year: 1985
Region: 3 (DE,NJ,PA)
NECOA #: 13813
T6Elky will become famous soon enough

"They all put out at least 600hp because of the turbos and nos they run"

This is the reason for many race track oil downs.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:27 AM
Banned
Master Wrench

Year: 1980
Region: 7 (AL,GA,TN)
NECOA #: 10177
Elkiebob will become famous soon enough

As always, SK, you are right. My neighbor next door has a ricer and I can't stand it when he starts up and drives off. They don't have a nickle to their names but he has a carbon fiber hood, huge *** muffler, and a spoiler.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:49 AM
Master Wrench

Name: Jeff
Year: 1986
Region: 3 (DE,NJ,PA)
NECOA #: 17515
bgblockelcamino has a spectacular aura about

can't knock all imports either. built some nissans and hondas. will admit thw wrx is a POS. done more clutches and transmissions in those than anything. the problem with high HP imports is the reliability factors drops dramatically. hondas snap axles, nissan throw rocker shims out over 7k revs.

but then again it could be worse. could work on a new Mod motor mustang or ford pick up. by far one of the worst engines to work on.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:10 AM

Master Wrench

Name: Vic
Year: 1971
Region: 24(EUROPE)
NECOA #: 2111
Maddening has a spectacular aura about

I enjoy my WRX... Wanted something with AWD for the snow and ice, and some power, had to be a stick shift, and handle good, needed decent gas MPG too. Got it all in one package.
1984 Buick Grand National, Finicky S.O.B.
1995 Ford Probe GT, Broken Down P.O.S.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:31 AM

Master Wrench

Year: 1978
NECOA #: 12606
thundercat2 has a spectacular aura about

as i told a guy at work,i can respect some of the imports and like some of their looks but i will never own one.this is also the guy that bragged about how fast his honda was but refused to race my el camino.
his other"import"was built in bloomington,ill and has a chrysler engine so when some people go on their rants about imports i just ignore them.

ron

My church is the open road...just me,God,and the highway
Old 09-17-2010, 04:58 AM

Master Wrench

Year: 1987
NECOA #: 10090
Al Camino will become famous soon enough

I love my G35. It appears that the site needs a hate forum.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:05 AM

Master Wrench

Year: 1984
Model: Conquista
Region: 10(IL,MN,WI)
NECOA #: 572
theelcaminofactory is of outstanding character

This has been on here before, but for you guys that have never seen it...take a look! I think it was originally titled "My impact wrench has more torque than your ricer" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq-ELJUyhQo

Last edited by theelcaminofactory; 09-17-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Deputy National Director - Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member

Master Wrench

Name: Randy
Year: 1987
Model: Diablo
Region: 6 (FL)
NECOA #: 15623
rtatwk is a jewel in the rough
Garage

There is a place here Al...Other cars...Good, bad, or indifferent...To discuss, ask, or vent on other makes. I love my Beemer too and might have got one similar to yours if I didn't get a deal done for this new one.

My name for the vehicles mentioned here is 'Buzzers'..Def: Any little Honda or whatever with the funny sounding muffler on the back...Which causes the overwhelming need to show you that they can go faster than you happen to be going at the moment. I get my enjoyment in seeing them pulled over with the blue lights right behind them a little further down the road.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:42 AM
Master Wrench

Name: Michael
Year: 1984
Region: 6 (FL)
NECOA #: 9422
El Corvino is just really nice

I had to chime in

I used to go out to the races with my buddy's Viper that had 1100 HP 1300 TQ. We would always have a Honda hatch back with a T88 turbo or some other bucket size turbo want to race us. After we agreed they wanted 60, 80, or 100 rolls so their turbo would be spooled. It was the most ignorant thing ever.

This is the reason these 600 HP hondas would never give a 60 ft... it only has 120 HP until the turbo spools on their stock motor.

The reason they usually only street race once every few months is because they hand grenade after a few runs. I can't tell you how annoying it was to be called out, drive 2 hours for a race, and have the motor explode after 2 runs on best 2 out of 3.

Ricers were actually the reason I bought my elky and built it. I bought it with the vette motor with bolt ons and a tune. Beat all the VW, Acuras, and Honda's I came across.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:11 PM

Twisted Wrench

Name: Evan
Year: 1959
Region: 12(MO,OK,KS)
NECOA #: 17510
59demon will become famous soon enough

I've got an '86 Honda with 24"s, a large rear spoiler, 6 turbos, neon underlights (that adds 25 HP right there), and a Cadillac Northstar shoved in it. It has 5,000 HP and goes 0-60 MPH in less than a second.

But really they are annoying. Gonna love my 454 in a '59 Elkie. Mmmmm.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:56 PM

Master Wrench

Year: 1981
Region: 4 (MD,VA)
NECOA #: 11486
'81ELKYSS will become famous soon enough

Im 18 and have grown up around my familys gto trans ams, camaros, big blocks, small blocks, nitrous everything. But being 18 I'm also friends with the tuner cars. I'm very interested in engines now than the cars they are in. First of if an rb30 out of skyline with 12 pounds of boost and good tune was put in a 240sx, half of the "muscle cars" wouldn't be able to catch up and then would be put to shame when the first turn came. If you put an rb30 in with the factory stock 8 pounds, 25% of the muscle cars would have problems with it. Around here when the car is "built" stay away. Theres a guy with civic hatch that runs 7s down at the 8th, theres an sr'd 240 around here with 320 whp, doesnt' sound like much but in such a light car thats fast enough to run 11's with the right traction. I have respect for both but honestly most "kids" don't have loud steros and all that gay stuff, thats just the wanna be punk *** honda boyz that rev at anything with a heart beat. Nissan cars are my favorite foreign company, and japan isn't dumb with FWD (only honda) They don't build sports cars with FWD, most of there sports cars are RWD and thats because over there drifting is a very popular sport. The 2jz motor from toyota can handle 1000hp on the STOCK block. Thats the motor that came in the toyota supra and lexus sc300. The nissan 240sx is probably THE only car you can buy for 900 bucks put in about 7,000 into and have the scariest car you'll ever have in your life guarenteed oh and thats with one NASTY LS motor with a T56. So if you here a car is built. stay away. Cause if that kid knows what he's talking about than you'll be crying for a very long time.

1981 SS 355 vortec motor. 3.73 gears. A lot done to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement