Master Wrench

Name: Mike
Year: 1987
Model: El Camino
Region: 13(TX)
NECOA #: 11248
jarhead is a name known to all
Default 6.0 in a 5th gen

I've searched this site but got zero results so I need some help. I just bought an 82 SS beater for $500. This is a father son project. I bought my son an '03 2500HD silverado last year and it has the 6.0/auto in it. We want to get another 6.0 and install it in the SS with a th400 , carb and what all we can afford. Is there any info on here that can help me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Master Wrench

Year: 1985
Model: Conquista
Region: 3 (DE,NJ,PA)
NECOA #: 727
sandblaster will become famous soon enough

Try street and performance ,you need different motor mount brackets to install this motor. Some of those motors have a tall intake manifold,(possible clearance issues.) Certain oil pans different may be a problem. Also the computer harness $$$ ...
Old 12-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Master Wrench

Year: 1983
Model: El Camino SS
Region: 8 (OH,WV)
NECOA #: 15853
Keyser Sose has much to be proud of

I don't think this is that common a swap. Undoubtedly it has been done more than once, and you will find some tips/help on it, but in the meantime, maybe you could work on the other areas that a $500 elco will need to have addressed. I am sure there are 1 or 2!

Have you checked out the floors, glass channels, and rear frame rails yet? These are the most common problem areas. And don't forget the wiring!

Just saying that while you are looking for the 6.0 info, procede in other areas.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:06 PM

Master Wrench

Name: Tony
Model: El Camino SS
Region: 2 (CT,MA,ME,NH,RI,VT)
NECOA #: 13734
1983SS454 has a spectacular aura about

Maliburacing.com has tons of info on LSX swaps, thats the place to see about Elco 5th gen engine swaps. Got all my info for my big block 4 speed swap there.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:17 PM

Master Wrench

Year: 1986
Region: 7 (AL,GA,TN)
NECOA #: 6381
1BadElky will become famous soon enough

and ls1tech.com has a massive thread devoted to G-body swaps

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Currently undergoing resto.
Mods:
-355/200-4R/3.42 posi 8.5"
-ZQ8 wheels
-Blazer brakes
-12.7:1 steering
-Lowered 2"
-HIDs
Old 12-02-2010, 06:21 PM
Master Wrench

Year: 1984
Region: 1 (NY)
NECOA #: 11434
CF will become famous soon enough

like 1983ss454 said check out maliburacing.com ther is a fresh post with video there right now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo_fI-5q4D4

Last edited by CF; 12-02-2010 at 07:01 PM. Reason: added info.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:22 PM

Master Wrench

Year: 1972
Region: 4 (MD,VA)
NECOA #: 13902
ssr71 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadElky View Post
and ls1tech.com has a massive thread devoted to G-body swaps
This is the site with the expertise you need.

The guys on "Horse Power TV" did just this on an '85 Monte Carlo. Should be able to buy the DVDs... but not like they really show you much.

Yes, a truck intake could potentially have clearance issues, but you can simply pick up a used LS1/LS6 factory intake from ebay to resolve that problem. Also, don't plan on using any of the factory accessory drive systems on a G-body as there are clearance problems on both sides.
2005 SSR w/6 speed
Old 12-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Master Wrench

Year: 1985
NECOA #: 16485
merc2u will become famous soon enough

I have a 454 in my 85. I didn't have any clearance issues until I got the bright idea of going to a serpentine system. I got it in there, but it wasn't a lot of fun. I had to make new brackets to lower the right and left sides, then I had clearance issues with the power steering and steering box. You might have the same problem. What I finally had to do was shim up the radiator support and shim the cowl. There just isn't enough room in there....merc
Old 12-04-2010, 02:09 AM
Master Wrench

Year: 1981
NECOA #: 12939
melissadunagan will become famous soon enough

Yes the pick up intake is too tall. you will need one far a F Body or a Corvette. And you will need the fuel rail, fuel injectersand the throttle body. Also you have to change all of the front accessory to the F Body, you also have the use the F Body harmonic balancer. You can you the pickup A C compressor if you make the holes longer in the bracket. The pickup oil pan will work though the ground clearance needs to checked. I think in the long run it would be easyer and maybe less money to use a Corvette engine. Lest parts to have to change.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:33 AM

Master Wrench

Name: Zach O.
Region: 15(AZ,MN)
NECOA #: 17821
zach01s will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead View Post
I've searched this site but got zero results so I need some help. I just bought an 82 SS beater for $500. This is a father son project. I bought my son an '03 2500HD silverado last year and it has the 6.0/auto in it. We want to get another 6.0 and install it in the SS with a th400 , carb and what all we can afford. Is there any info on here that can help me?
You said carb.... so you want to convert it to a carburated motor? i dont know if its possible since they dont have a conventional type distributor. its all computer controlled and the computer relys on a throttle position sensor and/or MAF. do they make kits to convert them?
'83 elCamino. steel crank kieth black forged pistons, pete jackson timing gears, VooDoo cam, World products votrec clone heads, Brodix intake, full msd ignition with Sniper nitrous wet shot system. built vette 700r4 with 2800 stall. 4.11 spooled rear end.

Its aways the second mouse that gets the cheese.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:50 AM
Master Wrench

They do make a carburated intake, both GM and Edelbrock make them. My question is why would someone want to use old tech on a new tech engine?
Old 12-04-2010, 06:59 PM

Master Wrench

Year: 1972
NECOA #: 13902
ssr71 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach01s View Post
You said carb.... so you want to convert it to a carburated motor? i dont know if its possible since they dont have a conventional type distributor. its all computer controlled and the computer relys on a throttle position sensor and/or MAF. do they make kits to convert them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissadunagan View Post
They do make a carburated intake, both GM and Edelbrock make them. My question is why would someone want to use old tech on a new tech engine?
And GM also produces a complete new front timing cover that contains a distributor drive, so you can convert it over to "old tech". This topic's been covered before (sudden recollection that I had posted the part numbers for that dizzy drive stuff before).

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=33718&
Old 12-06-2010, 07:32 AM

Master Wrench

Name: Mike
Year: 1987
NECOA #: 11248
jarhead is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssr71 View Post
And GM also produces a complete new front timing cover that contains a distributor drive, so you can convert it over to "old tech". This topic's been covered before (sudden recollection that I had posted the part numbers for that dizzy drive stuff before).

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=33718&
I just like the carb's better because i'm more familiar with them. I guess i need to stretch myself and learn more about the EFI system or just build a regular engine instead. Not sure if I want to take the time to learn about all of the items that go into making the EFi and computer controlled devices work. My 87 Elky has the electronic carb and i'm thinking about switching it to a regular carb. Not that i'm lazy, it's just easier for me to work on. Just sayin...
Old 12-06-2010, 11:01 AM
Master Wrench

Region: 9 (IN,KY,MI)
NECOA #: 3943
old_coot is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissadunagan View Post
+2 why take one step forward and two steps back? I'm 63 years old and so I know a bit about carbs but I'll never own another one. With the controls and speed a computer had retune an engine---it can save one a lot better than lifting your foot when things go wrong. Plus the drivability factor being so much better. ....Dan
Old 12-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Master Wrench

I think if you went with FI engine you would be a lot happy with it and injoy driving it more. It would also get better gas mileage, start easiers, run better, and be cleaner runing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement