El Camino Central Forum banner

Wife's 78 El Camino Frame off custom restoration.

29K views 60 replies 21 participants last post by  79horse 
#1 ·
So after years of spoiling myself with all the cars, I decided to be nice and suprise my wife with a 78 el camino for her 30th birthday. It was a mess when I got it but after 2 months, it's almost done. The car stayed in house (my house) for everything. From frame off, paint, body, motor/ trans work, now interior work.

Frame, motor and trans painted to match the car.
350 GM Goodwrench crate motor, edelbrock intake, carb and custom built air cleaner.
350 turbo transmission with B&M shift kit.
All new brakes all around (currently having issues)
Interior will be grey and black suede.

Wheels will be 20" Boss 338's (but I'm broke!)

A lot of other stuff done but I'm too lazy to type. lol.

And best off all a decal on the back window that my wife had made that says...
"No trailer needed, I drive this bitch!"

We build them to drive!!

See less See more
#14 ·
Nice ride NOW tell the truth , is that Her Style Or yours Just asking, sometimes we build what we Think they want and they are to Nice to tell us ,I think its Cool when my wife drives mine, wonder if i get to drive here 68 camaro When she Finds one she Likes ??:texas:
Thanks for all the comments, can't wait to get this thing done. Been drawing on the hood all day trying to figure out how I want to cut it and turn it into a clean looking scoop.

Anyways, Richp85ElCO- There just chromed g body headers, I'm sure they will tarnish soon but oh well, they look good for now. lol.

And fixitman1- Wife let's me do what I want to the ride, but she will definately tell me what she doesn't like. So far, so good, lol. I usually draw out everything (Chip Foose style) and run it by her before I do it. That way I don't do anything she doesn't like. Currently have 3 different interior sketches and soon it will be time to get my Martha Stewart on! lol

#13 ·
Nice ride NOW tell the truth , is that Her Style Or yours Just asking, sometimes we build what we Think they want and they are to Nice to tell us ,I think its Cool when my wife drives mine, wonder if i get to drive here 68 camaro When she Finds one she Likes ??:texas:

#15 ·
Update.... well I been busy the past couple of weeks.
Interior almost finished, black suede and silver suede.
Custom built dash and gauge cluster and gauges.
20" Boss 338's painted to match car with a very small hint of orange around the center.
Custom built front turn signal lights with led lights, and custom built rear lights with led lights.

Custom bed in progress but "top secret" until complete.

Pictures to come soon!!!

#18 ·
So after years of spoiling myself with all the cars, I decided to be nice and suprise my wife with a 78 el camino for her 30th birthday. It was a mess when I got it but after 2 months, it's almost done....
WoW!!! That's a very quick turn-around!!!! How'd ya do it soooo quickly???? Whatever.... I need some of that!!!!

Very nice work with lots of great custom ideas!!!!

#20 ·
Got it done fast since I've been out of work, but that means plenty of time but no money. I'm just lucky that I know how to do just about everything. Too bad I'm broke!

jarheadJim- thought about doing my hood like a shaker style but can't seem to get it to look right, I think I'm just going to fab a cowl ram air style scoop out of sheet metal. But that's easier said than done.

Wife's happy with her ride so that's all that matters, now she can leave me alone!! LOL.

#21 ·
Got it done fast since I've been out of work, but that means plenty of time but no money. I'm just lucky that I know how to do just about everything. Too bad I'm broke!

jarheadJim- thought about doing my hood like a shaker style but can't seem to get it to look right, I think I'm just going to fab a cowl ram air style scoop out of sheet metal. But that's easier said than done.....
I can see from how your EL C looks that you like to do things that are "different". Not that there is anything wrong with that. But for "some people" having a different "look" is a "priority".

Case in point.... cowl induction scoops look good... especially the 4-6 size. BUT... they are VERY common! The problem is finding one that not only looks "different" but also looks "right" can be hard to do.

When I get the $$$ to build the LT1 block I have stored in my workshop (formerly owned my my best friend who passed away) I plan to use a "crossram manifold with two 4 barrel Holley carbs - (see my avatar pic).

So for this "different-looking setup" I want to use an "open front" style hood scoop. Not only for hood clearance but also to allow the two "side by side" carbs lurking under the hood to be seen with the hood closed. The problem is finding one that is not only "open" in the front but also "wide" enough for this somewhat rare manifold/carb setup.

So far the only one I have considered using is the one that was used on the "hemi Dodge Dart". Go to:
http://www.moparsbymosher.com/projects/hemidart/assembly/11.htm

I found this gasser style hood scoop on eBay - Go to: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BEST...b87QQitemZ320705248135QQptZRaceQ5fCarQ5fParts

This hood scoop is not only a rare vintage scoop but also it is made of steel. Too small for my application but still a "different" looking alternative.

#28 ·
Looks Great Very Nice work.. What did you do the the tail lights and the trun signals under the headlights? are thise covers or did you replace the lenses?
It's a custom thing I learn from a hot rod shop several years ago, then I saw it on muscle car tv not too long ago as well.

I just built a sheet metal housing, used 3 led light strips in there for my lights, then I cut a piece of plastic that they use for office lighting, then I used a clear piece of plexi glass. Time consuming but it looks amazing.

#31 · (Edited)
Hot Rod Gina :0)

Like I said before.... it is truly amazing how much progress (and QUALITY WORK!!!) you have accomplished in such a short amount of time on your (wife's) EL C!!!!!

You are an inspiration for all of us "it takes toooo long to do hot rodders". Wish you could "bottle it" - I need some !!! L O L

Our El Camino is a street/strip car with a peppy bored 350ci small block with "all" the right stuff hooked to a 5 speed Tremec tranny.

My hot rod wife (Gina) not only likes to work on our car (she is currently working on re-doing the headliner, interior door panels, etc but also wants to drag race it.

Problem is she never learned how to drive a manual shift car. Let alone one with over 400hp.

She had the same "challenge" when she wanted to learn how to ride a motorcycle. She told me "Gina is NO ONE'S PASSENGER"!!!! She had NO IDEA about what a clutch, shift pattern, shift points, etc was all about. Did that stop her??? Nope!!!! Determined as she is about everything she learned how to master motorcycle riding, passed her m/c rider tests & now rides her own custom motorcycle.

Knowing her as I do, it won't take too long until she is "face to face" with a Christmas tree with a 1/4 mile ahead of her.

I am SURE once she gets used to driving our EL C with the 358ci/5 speed she'll be prompting me to get that LT1 block we have built into the "383ci dual quad dream-motor".

It's so great to have a wife who is a "hot rod lover"!!!!

#35 ·
LOL, I hear you! Those obstacles just "jump" in front of the car! You are right, though... Shows you care, when you build something knowing what will probably happen to it.
LOL, that's what she says, everything just jumps out at her. I've had my 4 car garage somehow jump out at her, a mountain of snow, my small pond, a huge pot hole the size of a pond, the list goes on, lol.

BAHAHA breaking it in, classic. Money or not you are doing an amazing job. Sure you already know that.

Total invested thus far? Just curious, I am on quite a lean budget myself.
I don't really know, lets break it down.
Car- traded one of my LCD tv's for it. TV was worth $400
Painting and body materials- I'd say about $1000 since I painted everything
Engine- Bought crate engine with 500 miles on it from a friend. $500
Trans- Had it laying around from another build.
Wheels and tires- $1200
Interior fabric- $200
Stereo and speakers- $350
Steering wheel- $155
Misc other stuff- $400
My wife leaving me alone- PRICELESS!

So about $4500 give or take.
All work was done by me so no labor cost and it took about 3 months to complete.

#37 ·
Here is what I came up with for the hood, very clean and simple cowl style scoop. I still have to some body work and paint.

Here are the inner fenders that I built and still need to paint, I also have to build a engine plentum that will flow into the inner fenders.

And here is the interior with the new steering wheel.

Took it for a drive to day to check on everything before I let my wife go out and wreck it. It drove pretty good, lots of looks and kids pointing and yelling (that's always fun). Big car show next week so hopefully everything is ready to go. :smileyb:

#47 ·
Here is what I came up with for the hood, very clean and simple cowl style scoop. I still have to some body work and paint.
As I said before "great work" and "great quality finish".:You_Rock:

When you get a chance could you please post some pictures of the hood scoop.

Thanks....

#38 ·
Beautiful!!!! I love the interior colors, and how you made it look so classy/yet tough!
Do you have any brothers? LOL!!! I'd LOVE to have my hubby get so "into" just working on my '78!
NICE JOB!! That's surely a car your wife will be proud to drive!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.