700R4 Floor Shifter Whats the Best ? - El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums
El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums

Ground Up
Notices

User Name
Password

Old 05-22-2011, 04:09 AM
Site Contributor

Master Wrench

Name: rb
Year: 1980
Model: El Camino
Region: 13(TX)
NECOA #: 17658
fixitman1 has a reputation beyond reputefixitman1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default 700R4 Floor Shifter Whats the Best ?

I want to install a Floor Shifter, what would be a good choice
Cable or Linkage and if i would go with a LOKAR FLOOR MOUNT SHIFTER i see they have a sw mounted for N and P what about Back up Lights ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2011, 05:10 AM

Master Wrench

Year: 1978
Model: El Camino SS
Region: 7 (AL,GA,TN)
NECOA #: 12606
thundercat2 has a spectacular aura about

hopefully next spring i will be getting an overdrive trans and this is what i will be doing. like the old school horseshoe shifters and these seem to be built well.
http://www.kilduffmachine.com/

ron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
My church is the open road...just me,God,and the highway
Old 05-22-2011, 05:40 AM
Deputy Director, Region 18

Master Wrench

Name: Mike
Year: 1985
Region: 18(CA)
NECOA #: 18805
TrannyMike is of outstanding character

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercat2 View Post
hopefully next spring i will be getting an overdrive trans and this is what i will be doing. like the old school horseshoe shifters and these seem to be built well.
http://www.kilduffmachine.com/

ron
I saw that shifter mentioned on another site last night. Looks like it works pretty well. The video is a sight to see, with the creator of the shifter smacking it with a baseball bat showing how well the ratchet works. I was cracking up, although it held up to his abuse and made his point!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:26 AM
Site Contributor

Master Wrench

Name: Robert
Year: 1979
Region: 6 (FL)
NECOA #: 14143
ECRider will become famous soon enough

I run the ratchet shifter you showed from B&M with the trigger on my 1979 w/a 700r4.It's a cable connection and it works great, just wish the black surrounding cover was taller it doesn't reach the floor tight.

Too Much Of A Good Thing...Is A Good Thing
Old 05-22-2011, 06:43 AM

Master Wrench

Year: 1979
Region: 11(IA,NE,ND,SD)
NECOA #: 17592
ALAsh will become famous soon enough

I am using the B&M in my 79 and it was a great fit incorporating it into the standard SS floor console.

I welded up a the original Rube Goldberg linkage system that controls the back up lights and gear position indicator. The indicator at least reads correctly for Park, reverse, and Drive, and the key shift lock works.

BTW you can order that B&M shifter in two lever heights.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:55 AM
Master Wrench

Name: Mark
Year: 1984
NECOA #: 10419
texaselky will become famous soon enough

I have the Kilduff shifter in my car and just love it! It works flawless and nobody else has one at the cruise in! I just love to be a little different!
Old 05-22-2011, 09:52 AM
Site Contributor

Master Wrench

fixitman1 has a reputation beyond reputefixitman1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Floor Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaselky View Post
I have the Kilduff shifter in my car and just love it! It works flawless and nobody else has one at the cruise in! I just love to be a little different!
Guess i cant get one now , i do want to connect the back up lights right now stock Column shift i do have a Floor Shift column i can install w/ tilt
Old 05-22-2011, 09:55 AM
Master Wrench

Well if you do get one, just dont park next to me? The Kilduff shifter has switches in it for back up lights and a neutral safety switch.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:08 AM
Site Contributor

Master Wrench

Default Shifter

Quote:
Well if you do get one, just dont park next to me? The Kilduff shifter has switches in it for back up lights and a neutral safety switch.
I can order mine with a different style what doess your shifter look like than we both will be different !!
Old 05-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Deputy Director - Region 12 OK and Super Moderator

Master Wrench

Name: Larry
Year: 1965
Region: 12(MO,OK,KS)
NECOA #: 18060
hotrodpc has a spectacular aura about

When I do one, I am likley going with a B&M Quicksilver ratchet. I used a Quicksilver for years and loved it. Also the Quicksilver can be used for 3 speed or 4 speed, can also be used for reverse vavle body if you ever choose to go that route, and it also has its own gear selector with light, P N safety switch IF you choose to hook it up, and also have back up light provisions if you choose to hook them up. So the Quicksilver is fairly versitle in hooking up just about any way you'd want to. You can also leave your factory gear selector, back up lights and P N safety switch hooked up if you choose and do it right. You'll have to use a bracket off a console cable shifted car like an older Cutlass or camaro to do that.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:37 AM
Master Wrench

I have the standard shifter (all he made at the time), with a long handle and the top plate that lites up. with the brass knuckles!
Old 05-22-2011, 11:59 AM
Deputy Director - Region 12 OK and Super Moderator

Master Wrench

Name: Larry
Year: 1965
Region: 12(MO,OK,KS)
NECOA #: 18060
hotrodpc has a spectacular aura about

BTW, I noticed you asked which shifter is better. I don't know that any are any better than others. It will come down to personal preference and the features you want or need. As said, I go with the Quicksilver or Mega because I change my mind and go back to 3 speed or back to 4 speed and keep the same shifter. And in the event I decide I need a reverse valve body for racing, I can also use the same shifter.

I knew there was another B&M that had the same features too as the Quicksilver. Its the Megashifter. Only reason I went with the Quicksilver over the Megashifter was the stick is taller and I had it installed in a truck. Now B&M makes the truck Mega shifter but its just a taller base I beleive. Not a taller handle. Here are some links to the B&M Quicksilver and Megashifter if you go that route.
http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Per...rs/Megashifter

http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Per...rs/Quicksilver
Old 05-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Site Contributor

Master Wrench

Default Shifter

Quote:
I have the standard shifter (all he made at the time), with a long handle and the top plate that lites up. with the brass knuckles!
Well i want a straight cut not the saw tooth /and no knuckles for me just the Bar
Old 05-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Site Contributor

Master Wrench

Default Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodpc View Post
BTW, I noticed you asked which shifter is better. I don't know that any are any better than others. It will come down to personal preference and the features you want or need. As said, I go with the Quicksilver or Mega because I change my mind and go back to 3 speed or back to 4 speed and keep the same shifter. And in the event I decide I need a reverse valve body for racing, I can also use the same shifter.

I knew there was another B&M that had the same features too as the Quicksilver. Its the Megashifter. Only reason I went with the Quicksilver over the Megashifter was the stick is taller and I had it installed in a truck. Now B&M makes the truck Mega shifter but its just a taller base I beleive. Not a taller handle. Here are some links to the B&M Quicksilver and Megashifter if you go that route.
http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Per...rs/Megashifter

http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Per...rs/Quicksilver
I would like a shifter that shows all gears 1/2/3/4/ Yes P / N & R also !
If my wife drives it i want it to be where she knows what gear its in .I want to do a good quality job /You know when you open the door you just stand there and Look !!
Old 05-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Deputy Director, Region 13

Master Wrench

Year: 1968
NECOA #: 12098
DONE DEAL DONNY has a reputation beyond reputeDONE DEAL DONNY has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Quick Sliver in mine and I love it!!!!!
If I watched the video right you have to raise the handle each time you wanta change gears on the Kilduff, one extra step you don't need to do with the Quick Silver, however you can lock the Kilduff, I liked that idea.
Still like my Quick Silver though!!!!
Donny
#12, 1984 El Camino "Bumping Uglies"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement