Tips for changing Heater core for 78-87 - El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums
El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums

Ground Up
User Name
Password

Old 09-03-2011, 07:03 PM
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member

Master Wrench

Name: Steve
Year: 1987
Model: Conquista
Region: 6 (FL)
NECOA #: 16317
87next2last1 is of outstanding character
Garage
Default Tips for changing Heater core for 78-87

I used this link to change my heater core on my 84. It made it simple with step by step instructions & with pics!! Hope somebody can use this !!

http://www.chevyasylum.com/core/

1984 EL Camino SS V8 (My Truck)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

1983 El Camino V8 (My 1/4 Mile Toy)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Check them out on link Below !

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Master Wrench

Name: Don
Model: El Camino SS
Region: 22(CANADA (E. of MAN.))
NECOA #: 14011
MR.CHEVY will become famous soon enough

thanks but knew about it and have used it already . it was very helpful . this forum is full of good information and people.......Don
Old 10-15-2011, 09:24 AM

Master Wrench

Name: Mike
Model: El Camino
Region: 13(TX)
NECOA #: 11248
jarhead is a name known to all

Nice link for the heater core. The problem I'm having is getting the correct heater core. The orig one has the 'v' in the top tank for the hold down clamp and the ground wire. The ones I've seen at the parts store have a flat top tank and therefore cannot be secured or grounded like before. Did you guys buy a core with the 'v' on the top tank? If not, how did you secure the tank and attach the ground wire? Thanks

If you think Health care is expensive now.. Wait until it's FREE!
Dang, I miss Ronald Reagan
more and more every day..
Old 10-15-2011, 11:52 AM

Master Wrench

Garage

I did my 84 last year & Don't remember exactly what I did! I don't think I used the hold down clip & I striped the ground strap wire a little longer & wrapped it around one of the tubes with a hose clamp! & once the top cover went on it. It held down the core !!
Old 10-15-2011, 12:21 PM
Supporting Member

Master Wrench

Name: Robert
Region: 18(CA)
NECOA #: 18458
HKDUP87 has a brilliant future
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead View Post
Nice link for the heater core. The problem I'm having is getting the correct heater core. The orig one has the 'v' in the top tank for the hold down clamp and the ground wire. The ones I've seen at the parts store have a flat top tank and therefore cannot be secured or grounded like before. Did you guys buy a core with the 'v' on the top tank? If not, how did you secure the tank and attach the ground wire? Thanks
I had to take the clip out and it fit fine. Mine came with instructions about the clip. At first i couldn't get the clip out it's just the angle has to be right and it slips out. I have my old one sealed up here it never leaked. I replaced it when i re-did all my air conditioning i had the cover off so might as well replace it too. You can have it just PM me your address and i will ship it from work ups no charge.

I have learned to never characterize any of my cars as fixed....they are just temporarily between malfunctions. .....Dan ( old_coot)

Knowledge before $$$$ is my new philosophy!!!!!!

Last edited by HKDUP87; 10-15-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Motor Mouth

Name: Dex
Year: 1986
NECOA #: 20425
86'Kid will become famous soon enough

I tried searching for the AC compressor forums with there are any threads but I'm new and am clueless how to use this site lol. Maybe ya'll can answer my question. I want the specs for my entire AC/Heating units. Primarily the compressor. I want to take it off the belt. I want to keep it attached and intact under the hood though. I want to use an electric motor of some sort and possible a second battery or more sup'd up alternator to handle the load. Gonna take my fan off the belt to and go with electric dual polar'd fans too. 25 horsepower at least goes to my belts, probably more, lik 35 on my setup. So I want to take it all off. ANY info on how much electric current would simulate the belt, and how much would the AC use running? to handle the weight differences I figure Ill use a fiberglass hood and a few mods to keep my power to weight ratio if not improve it.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:01 PM

Master Wrench

Garage

When I did my heater core I added these shut-off valves to keep the hot water from circulating in the core during the summer months ! I always felt hot air coming out the bottom vents when the AC was off ! (NO MORE HOT AIR) & I open them up when it gets cold !! A few bucks each from lowes plumbing department.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:19 PM
Motor Mouth

Name: Dan Knight
Year: 1982
NECOA #: 20020
danktx will become famous soon enough

I just replaced the heater core in my 82. I purchased mine from Autozone. It was aluminum instead of brass but it had the correct notch in the top tank and the factory bracket fit just fine.

DanK
Old 10-15-2011, 05:07 PM

Master Wrench

Name: Neil
Year: 1984
NECOA #: 8926
464elky has a reputation beyond repute464elky has a reputation beyond repute

86'kid
I admire your enthusiasm - BUT
If you want to keep your AC running it off an electric motor is going to be a real challenge. There is a much easier solution. A switch that the accelerator linkage hits when you open it wide open that turns the compressor off would be the first way I would go (factory did this on many models). To add the weight of an extra battery and a higher output alternator that will require a bunch more horses to turn plus the weight of your new electric motor and mounting brackets will probably slow you down more than just leaving the AC alone.
A nice intake, carb and set of headers will do more for your 305.
84 Elky with 455 Stage 2 Buick, Tremec TKO600 5 speed, 8.5 3:23 posi 98 Acura CL custom upholstered seats, Dakota Digital Instrumentation-

Car Domain:

Another 3 to 9 years should finish it. In year 7 and still working on it - no end in sight.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:16 PM
Supporting Member

Master Wrench

Name: Robert
Region: 18(CA)
NECOA #: 18458
HKDUP87 has a brilliant future
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87next2last1 View Post
When I did my heater core I added these shut-off valves to keep the hot water from circulating in the core during the summer months ! I always felt hot air coming out the bottom vents when the AC was off ! (NO MORE HOT AIR) & I open them up when it gets cold !! A few bucks each from lowes plumbing department.

SLICK I'M ON MY WAY TO GET A SET.
Didn't you have a vaccume switch between one of the hoses? Do you just take it off till winter or do you really need it?
Old 10-15-2011, 07:33 PM
Master Wrench

Year: 1985
Region: 17(S.CA,S.NV)
NECOA #: 9088
ELBMINO will become famous soon enough

looks like he is running engine with no emc

Old 10-15-2011, 08:25 PM

Master Wrench

Year: 1975
Region: 9 (IN,KY,MI)
NECOA #: 13978
steelybill has a brilliant future

Isn't there a vacuum operated water valve on the 5th gen AC Elcos ? Of course the two valves will do the job.......

Old 10-15-2011, 09:52 PM

Master Wrench

Garage

When I got my 84 when my dad passed the heater core was blocked off & no heater hoses. I checked into that vacuum heater valve but I put a different intake on & put a plug in the back of the intake where that hose goes in !! A Mechanic told me to put a manual valve on it & I checked all the parts store for that & they wanted a bunch of money for it !! like this 19.99 just for this little valve
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...413_0328888996
It does get cold down here in north central Fl. in the 20's & 30's for a few weeks !!
So I need the heat for a little bit ! So I just open up the valves for a while !!
So I got these for cheap ! I don't have the emissions or the computer any more!
Old 05-04-2012, 04:06 PM
Twisted Wrench

Year: 1983
NECOA #: 16787
rmac_2 will become famous soon enough
Garage

This is great I can't wait to valve mine off. I rarley need the heat when I use my 83. Thanks for the picture.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:58 PM
Master Wrench

Name: Jeff
Region: 4 (MD,VA)
NECOA #: 7649
jmchevy will become famous soon enough
Garage

Good info! Ive not had to do this yet (knock on wood)... I kinda dread if/when the time comes and this will make it easier

Last edited by jmchevy; 07-14-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.