Old 11-09-2011, 01:02 PM
Twisted Wrench

Year: 1980
Model: El Camino SS
Region: 7 (AL,GA,TN)
NECOA #: 8137
PearBear will become famous soon enough
Default OK I am waiting.

Not to often does a new vehicle come out that has the side mirrors attached to the doors. Then on top of the have the style of the housing look VERY sporty and attractive. To really make the feast a party, its even a Chevy. What I am talking about is the new Camaro. I have looked at every avaiable picture of the mirror unmounted. It looks as though with just a little craftmenship they just might go on an El Camino. I also found they are making them aftermarket and you can get them in power and power with heated mirrors. Aftermarkets can be got for as low as $40.00 including shipping. If any of you engineering types take a go at it....PLEASE let me know. I just love those New Camaro mirrors. If it is workable I would just have to do it.
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Twisted Wrench

OOps. Forgot to mention that I have already swapped my 1980 Doors for 86-87 doors. I just didn't like the style or placement of the earlier bullet mirrors and I am in the process of putting on an original Choo CHoo nose on it. So I felt that the Choo Choo deserved the 86-87 mirrors. So I think the new Camaro mirrors would fit easiler on the 86-87 doors. If anyone has ever thought about the aftermarket 86-87 doors from Sherman Auto Parts......don't hesitate at all. I ordered the pair and they are really nice. I am perfectly happy with them. Each door was packaged with foam in their own seperate box. Then both the boxes where placed inside a bigger box. That box was shipped by a semi truck and got them in 3 days. The driver waited as I opened them and checked them out. One little bend at the bottom edge but was very easy to tap it out smooth.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:14 PM
Twisted Wrench

Grrrrr....I can really tell that I am 53 years old. LOL I forgot to mention. I purchased the doors through M and M Speed and Custom. They are super folks and I have personally meet them. If your a member with them they give a VERY nice discount on parts (and aftermarket doors). Give them a call.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:19 AM
Supporting Member

Master Wrench

Name: Mike
Year: 1985
Model: El Camino
Region: 17(NV)
NECOA #: 910
darbysan has a reputation beyond reputedarbysan has a reputation beyond repute

PearBear, if you go to my website listed in my signature, I have a How-To there on Installing Power Mirrors. Mine were from a Mid '90's Buick, but the process would be very similar for your mirrors- you would just need to change the angle of the mounting block for your mounting location/mirror combination.

Go for it!
'85 SS, Wicked Ruby Red, Gm Crate 350, Vortec heads,TPI, Serp, TES headers, Choo Choo nose, Acura Leather heated buckets, 2004 Gp Console and Shifter, 8.5 GN rear with 3.73, GN 200-4r, Craftec Tonneau w/ Electric release, Power Mirrors, Electronic HVAC, ZQ8 rims, Blazer Front brake upgrade, LS1 rear brake upgrade.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:38 AM
Twisted Wrench

Great, thanks darbysan. I remember seeing your link once. I had forgotten you had done that. I looked at your picture of the mirror you used and a picture of the 2010 Camaro mirror. The mirror housing base on the Camaro is angled a little closer to the angle of the El Camino door so I am thinking that the custom made mount spacer will be a little thinner. Which is a good thing. I am so tempted right now to buy one of the aftermarket mirrors for $40. Its worth the experiment.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:57 AM
Director Region 6 (FL)

Master Wrench

Name: Lenny
Year: 1987
Region: 6 (FL)
NECOA #: 5891
Lenny Carey has a spectacular aura about

I`ve also been eyeballing those Camaro mirrors . Hopefully it will be a while before I repaint my 87 but would think about adding them at some point and so I am interested in your experiment . Good call on using M and M Speed for parts . I just received floor carpeting from them , it is excellent and was received quickly . They have access to used and new El Camino parts , can match the prices of some of the big stores , can be found in the vendor`s forums and give us a discount . Check them and their Camino out at www.mandmspeed.com .
Old 11-10-2011, 09:21 AM
Supporting Member

Master Wrench

Name: Mike
Year: 1985
Model: El Camino
Region: 17(NV)
NECOA #: 910
darbysan has a reputation beyond reputedarbysan has a reputation beyond repute

Polarbear, when I first started my project, I used some Modeling Clay to experiment with the angles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement