User Name
Password

Old 06-07-2004, 09:27 PM

Twisted Wrench

NECOA #: 2444
JimmyZ will become famous soon enough
Default Installing new Carpet

Hello!

I just got a new carpet set from ACC for my 1983 Elcamino. I saw that there was thread about gluing the carpet...but didn't want to highjack his thread. I didn't know you are supposed to glue it? Where do you glue it...All over?

Anyway, I have no clue on how to install this carpet. I have the entire elcamin gutted, and have por 15ed the floor and installed a dynamat-type sound/heat deadener.

What i want to know is how to fit the carpet. I have done a trial fit and it doesn't seem 'the fit like a glove' the passenger side is perfect, but it bunches on the transmission hump (about a inch) and seems to interfear with the accelarator.

Finally, how do you know where to cut the carpet without putting the whole thing back together? Mostly, concerned about the sides (where the body by fisher plate goes) It seems to extend about 2 inches over the edge of the door.

sorry for the crazy post...just don't want to cut it wrong or install it improperly.

Jimmy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2004, 08:42 AM

Master Wrench

Name: Tommy
Year: 1978
Model: El Camino SS
Region: 5 (NC,SC)
NECOA #: 14
Tommy will become famous soon enough
Garage

You start in the middle & work your way out. Once you get it all in place, you trim the outside to fit under the sills. Just take your time.
99 Maxima SE-L, 5 speed
SMSGT 145 AW
NECOA #14
Old 06-11-2004, 02:57 PM

Twisted Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy
You start in the middle & work your way out. Once you get it all in place, you trim the outside to fit under the sills. Just take your time.
Thanks Tommy....

I will go out and try that!

Jimmy
Old 06-13-2004, 02:29 AM
Master Wrench

Region: 12(MO,OK,KS)
NECOA #: 395
WarPony will become famous soon enough

JimmyZ, is the DynaMat you are using very thick? I am going to replace my carpet and want a heat barrier that isn't too thick. I was thinking of using hot water heater insulation for the floor and roof that is reflective and is only about 1/4" thick. What has anybody else used that worked/not worked well?
78 El Camino SS, NECOA #395.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:54 AM
Venerated Member

Master Wrench

Year: 1980
Region: 13(TX)
NECOA #: 3
ElkyPete is just really nice

I've used this
http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/...&storeId=10101

and this

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/...&storeId=10101

I also used a heat gun when laying the carpet down to help contour its fit better.

if it helps.

1972 El Camino Custom 400
1976 El Camino Classic
1980 El Camino Super Sport
E-Mail:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:56 AM

Twisted Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarPony
JimmyZ, is the DynaMat you are using very thick? I am going to replace my carpet and want a heat barrier that isn't too thick. I was thinking of using hot water heater insulation for the floor and roof that is reflective and is only about 1/4" thick. What has anybody else used that worked/not worked well?
This is what I used...and it worked very well: (not thick at all....don't even notice it's under the carpet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...703583336&rd=1

The carpet I bought, also had some of the tradational heat insulation attached....between the two, sound and heat should not be a problem. I bought 100 sq feet, and to cover every inch of the 83 elky cab (doors, floor, and all 4 sides of the smugglers compartment, it was about 70 sq feet) WIth the remaining, I then doubled up on the floor by my feet and the doors.

I laid the carpet on saturday.....it went pretty well. I choose not to use spray adhesive on the whole thing, just on the back were it comes up to the compartment and the front by the firewall. Seems pretty secure.

Another tip, a sharp razor blade worked well for cutting the holes for the seat bolts....just make a little X over the bolt location and it will push right though.

Thanks for the help....i'll post pictures later today.

Jimmy
Old 09-10-2004, 12:05 AM

Knuckle Buster

NECOA #: 1557
JDLCam will become famous soon enough
Default riffin' late night-

That's cool man, I started reading this thread last weekend before I put in my new oxblood carpet. I practiced with a heat gun, but didn't use it because of the burn holes in the practice piece It ended up pretty slick though - I put black carpet on the back wall and on the freshly painted door panels. Can't wait to get it all in. I used 36 ft^2 of fake dynamat (the heat gun was fun!) and the 1/4 inch silver lined bubble wrap on the floor, back wall, and in the upper and lower door panels. Spent a long while getting the doors and window adjusted. Hope it will hold. Seems like I can't fully tighten the four bolts that hold onthe main crank part in the door without the end of the bolts interfereing with the flat bars that scissor up the window (?) Also did the felts with the velcro and gasp the silicone to repair torn rubber on the felts, and new weatherstrip over the top. It is almost ready to drive again! Will definetly post some pics soon. ECC!
J
Old 03-27-2005, 05:57 PM

Master Wrench

Name: Steve
Year: 1977
Region: 9 (IN,KY,MI)
NECOA #: 4241
77SS will become famous soon enough

I am planning on replacing my carpet soon. The old stuff is in pretty good shape, just really faded.

Rather than ripping up the old, and laying down new dynamat/insulation, any thoughts on just laying the new carpet over the old? The idea is that the old carpet would act like a pad for the new.

Has anyone tried this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:18 AM
Master Wrench

Region: 12(MO,OK,KS)
NECOA #: 395
WarPony will become famous soon enough

Steve, I think laying the new carpet over the old is going to be a bad idea. If it's formed carpet it won't lay on the floor right. Plus, you're going to have problems with the seat bracket and seat belt bolt holes. It would be a good time to see if there is any water damage underneath. Even though you have a low mile car there could be some factory goofs that could lead to water in the cab.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:20 PM
Twisted Wrench

Name: Vinny G
Year: 1984
Model: El Camino
Region: 1 (NY)
NECOA #: 22721
vincg will become famous soon enough
Garage

I'm in the process of changing the carpet I used (Lowes ) peel and seal self sticking flashing (cheap and effective) new carpet doesn't have rubber backing like old one did not sure what to use under the Carpet above the sound deadening peel and seal

Old 03-21-2013, 07:37 AM
Supporting Member

Master Wrench

Name: Mike
Year: 1985
Model: El Camino
Region: 17(NV)
NECOA #: 910
darbysan has a reputation beyond reputedarbysan has a reputation beyond repute

Tip for cutting holes in the carpet for bolts, etc. Use a 1/2" to 3/4" hole saw in your drill, but run it backwards.
'85 SS, Wicked Ruby Red, Gm Crate 350, Vortec heads,TPI, Serp, TES headers, Choo Choo nose, Acura Leather heated buckets, 2004 Gp Console and Shifter, 8.5 GN rear with 3.73, GN 200-4r, Craftec Tonneau w/ Electric release, Power Mirrors, Electronic HVAC, ZQ8 rims, Blazer Front brake upgrade, LS1 rear brake upgrade.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:21 AM
Master Wrench

Name: bugsyc
Year: 1985
Region: 5 (NC,SC)
NECOA #: 23383
bugsyc will become famous soon enough
Default carpet from stock interiorsHas anyone bought carpet from "Stock Inte

Has anyone bought carpet from "Stock Interiors"? I ordered carpet from them and they offer either just the passenger area or the whole package,which includes the curtain,the carpet inserts for the doors and the "cargo area"...I ordered the passenger compartment option and now I'm worried that it won't cover the whole sill...BTW,someone on this board recommended them....Anyone else buy this???
Old 03-28-2013, 08:40 AM
Master Wrench

Year: 1983
Region: 8 (OH,WV)
NECOA #: 15853
Keyser Sose has much to be proud of

start in the center, yes. once you have it all laid out, then drag it forward so that it tucks under the center heater outlets. TAKES 2 PEOPLE, one on each side of the car. Make REAL sure you have it in there straight before you cut anything!!!!

Old 03-28-2013, 09:10 AM
Site Contributor

Master Wrench

Name: Scott
Year: 1977
Model: El Camino Classic
NECOA #: 22827
Scottm is just really nice
Garage

One neat trick I learned on all girls garage was to take a punch that fits the size of the holes you will need for bolts then heat it up. I used my plumbers torch. The hot punch pokes right through the carpet melting it so it will not fray and you have the perfect size hole you need and it's easier to locate than a small slit.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:17 AM

Master Wrench

Year: 1986
NECOA #: 19201
PRAMM has a spectacular aura about

I used stock interiors for purchasing carpet. they sent free samples and the carpet came with the thick pading allready on it.

I installed It and used a very hot round punch to burn holes thru the carpet so it wouldn't fray in the bolt holes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement