RoyalKnight82 - 1982 EL Camino SS Royal Knight - El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums
El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums

Ground Up
Notices

User Name
Password

Old 02-26-2012, 08:17 PM

Master Wrench

Year: 1982
Model: Royal Knight
Region: 9 (IN,KY,MI)
NECOA #: 15372
RoyalKnight82 will become famous soon enough
Default RoyalKnight82 - 1982 EL Camino SS Royal Knight

Year and Model: 1982 El Camino SS w/Z16 Royal Knight option
Engine Specs and Modifications(Planned): Base 305 4vCarb upgrading to a 355 TPI
Drivetrain Specs and Modifications: Base TH250 w/2.42 w/rear drum brakes upgrading to TH700R4 w/3.42 w/rear disc brakes
Suspension Specs and Modifications: Base suspension upgrading to polygraphite bushings,tubular control arms...ect.
Exterior Specs and Modifications: Base only mods being done is roll pan with lights/plate. tailgate pocket for plate will be filled/smoothed. Front tucked bumper. 3rd gen f-body side view mirrors(pwr), getting rid of the God awful chrome.
Interior Specs and Modifications: Base 60/40 bench seat. Now here is where I am debating. More in the next post on the debate
Electrical Specs and Modifications: Base...upgrading almost everything.

Proud owner of a 1982 El Camino SS Z16 Royal Knight.

Under Construction: 2/2012
Planned things to change(Updated): 334 w/TBI, T5 5-speed, 3:42 Posi, Rear Disc Brakes, Some 3rd gen Camaro interior (Dash, Seats, Center console, etc.)....and of course, all the body work. Will take photos and keep ECC updated on progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 08:44 PM

Master Wrench

Hello fellow ECC members!

Well, I had stated in other posts. I WAS going to sell the Knight. But when all I got was snubs because of the amount of body work that had to be done...nobody bought him. So to hell with it, I'm going to do it myself. Now mind you, I almost wanted to post it again, this time for about $500 this morning when I saw a 1989 IROC for sale locally for $1500. It had a 305 TPI w/5 speed and 3.42 rear. I really, REALLY wanted to buy that Camaro. But since the seller did not contact me today, I went to the junk yard instead. And let me tell you, I am so glad I did!!!

I found a 78-81 Camino. It was trashed...so nothing good from that one...Then I saw it....another one! Same front nose style. Almost perfect doors. Only problem i saw...divers side view mirror area, a rust hole (easy fix) and along the bottom inside edge more surface rust (I will post photos on Wed when I pick them up).

My lucky freakin day!!

Oh...Before I get too far into this...I will also be saying my thanks to members that have inspired or given help/advice to me. And with that I am going to say cheers w/beers to the following:

Renoman - For starting me thinking on going with a 3rd gen f-body interior
CCC - For telling me about a different way to go on the tank/sender for TPI (More about this later)
darbysan - For everything you wanted to know about TPI Swapping....(But were afraid to ask)

Ok now to the posts showing what I have to start with and what I will be doing and where I got the parts w/prices.

TTYS (talk to you soon)

P.S. There could be some useful things I may have that others may want. So I will be doing a parts of things to sell in the Parts for Sale section

Last edited by RoyalKnight82; 02-26-2012 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Adding a P.S.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:10 PM
Master Wrench

Name: carl
Year: 1986
Model: El Camino SS
Region: 19(AK,ID,OR,WA)
NECOA #: 21252
ccc is just really nice

for you guys and gals that build your own motors,the cheapest place i have found is powerhouse in bakersfield ca. i buy most of my engine parts there.engine kits for 350 chevys less than 200.$ i think 179. and that includes pistons.crate motors are fine but you can build you own cheaper,that leaves more money for other projects
Old 02-26-2012, 09:21 PM

Master Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc View Post
for you guys and gals that build your own motors,the cheapest place i have found is powerhouse in bakersfield ca. i buy most of my engine parts there.engine kits for 350 chevys less than 200.$ i think 179. and that includes pistons.crate motors are fine but you can build you own cheaper,that leaves more money for other projects
You have got to be kidding on the price? I was going to get this rotating assembly from a performance shop in Tn. It was everything, crank/flywheel/balancer included for $769 +shipping....and I thought that was a hell of a deal
Old 02-26-2012, 09:23 PM

Master Wrench

Ok, if you go to the following link...http://s950.photobucket.com/profile/RoyalKnight82

You will see every photo I took of the Knight...from the day I bought him back in 09 to late last year when I tried to sell it for the last time.

So here is my plan:

Exterior: Not too much changing except that ugly a** chrome has got to go!!!
Power Side-view mirrors-3rd Gen F-body
Tucked front bumper/roll pan/ground effects-here is their ebay store: http://myworld.ebay.com/msg714/ They claim to be the originators of the urethane products. Good prices.
Going to shave the tailgate pocket for the plate. Moving the plate down to the roll pan (Where it should have been from the start!)
Adding a LED brake light bar between the tailgate and roll pan for better visibility.
Adding a lifting bed cover-M&M Speed
Paint and Graphics are going back to the original Blue.
And don't forget: NO CHROME OR CHROME PLATED PARTS ON THIS KNIGHT

Last edited by RoyalKnight82; 02-26-2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-26-2012, 09:43 PM

Master Wrench

Engine/drive-train 355 ci w/TPI. Mild/Med Cam (Still want to save fuel when I'm not going through tires like a pencil eraser)
TH700R4 - I know the 200R4 were better, but they are hard to find used and no matter what cost a lot of money used or new.
3.42 Posi - Found a drive-train shop on eBay...would kill to go with the Ford 9" but.....it's $1900+shipping for everything from the pumpkin to the drum brakes...not a bad price, just will have to settle for a complete carrier from them for $575 w/shipping
Disc Brake conversion from Summit Racing

Ok...I had searched and searched about how to go with on the TPI in regards to the tank & sender. From using a S-10 sender that you have to bend in order to fit, to going the external pump. Now while I really don't want to take a chance on messing up a S-10 sender by bending it. I didn't really want to go external. I live in Indiana, so when it snows, the frame will be getting snow/ice/road salt all over it. I don't think that would be wise. True, I can make a sheet metal cover to bolt on around it, I also know that in-tank pumps run cooler with less noise. So I was at my wits end. I was resigned to buying the FAST EZEFI Kit for $2k. Losing the TPI unit I bought last year. That was until fellow poster CCC gave one hell of a case for a different route for tank/EFI sender. He gave me the idea on another thread I started: http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showt...920#post365920

It makes total sense. So when I was at the junk yard, I saw a Caprice wagon, they told me $100 for the tank & sender and they would pull it for me and have it waiting with the doors for me to pick up on this Wednesday. I love it when things start coming together.

Thank-you again CCC

Last edited by RoyalKnight82; 02-26-2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: adding about TPI
Old 02-26-2012, 10:56 PM
IROC-S Pace Car #001

Master Wrench

Name: E-Man
Year: 1985
Model: El Camino
Region: 6 (FL)
NECOA #: 4020
E-Man has a spectacular aura about
Garage

Glad to hear you decided to keep and restore it. I can't remember the last time I saw a Royal Knight in person, so it's good to hear that another one will be on the road soon. I have a Chevrolet Accumulative Shipments Report for 1983 that says 723 Royal Knights were made in '83, so Im assuming the production numbers were similarly low in '82. Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by E-Man; 02-26-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:02 PM

Master Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
Glad to hear you decided to keep and restore it. I can't remember the last time I saw a Royal Knight in person, so it's good to hear that another one will be on the road soon. I'm pretty sure less than one thousand Royal Knights were made in 82, but dont quote me.
Thank you, oh no...I just quoted you
Old 02-26-2012, 11:27 PM
Master Wrench

Year: 1978
Region: 4 (MD,VA)
NECOA #: 12263
358L-CO will become famous soon enough

You would have been crazy to sell a Royal Knight for $500... Good thing you didnt! I had a bunch of rust issues but nothing you cant fix.. Does the elkie run?

Take a look at my pics!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:37 PM

Master Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by 358L-CO View Post
You would have been crazy to sell a Royal Knight for $500... Good thing you didnt! I had a bunch of rust issues but nothing you cant fix.. Does the elkie run?
Yeah it runs....just burns oil like an SOB for the 30 yo engine. I was selling it for $900 and one guy said I wouldn't get anything over $300 for it
Old 02-27-2012, 01:32 AM
Master Wrench

Name: David
Year: 1986
Region: 12(MO,OK,KS)
NECOA #: 20775
suks2bu37 will become famous soon enough
Garage

Remember that the fourth gen. Trans Am seats are more comfortable than the third gen seats. That is what I am putting in my Elky.
suks2bu37
Old 02-27-2012, 01:48 AM

Master Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by suks2bu37 View Post
Remember that the fourth gen. Trans Am seats are more comfortable than the third gen seats. That is what I am putting in my Elky.
suks2bu37
Yeah, I had a 4th gen Camaro, loved the comfort...but the problem...if I want to stay original color of blue, they don't make seat covers in the blue color....and I don't have the funds to take it to a custom interior shop...but the 3rd gen Camaro seats had a blue option for seats. IDK...I'm still up in the air on which seats to get right now....gotta take care of the body and drive-train first.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:24 PM

Master Wrench

Got 2 things in the mail today:

1. 1982 Chevrolet Shop Manual & Electrical Troubleshooting Manual
2. Power window/door/mirror wiring harness from a 3rd gen Firebird.

The manuals are a must have for doing anything to an El Camino. I highly recommend finding a set and getting it no matter what year you have. I found a fairly used set on eBay. Eckler's has them but wants $95 for them brand new.

The wiring harness was a must have. Seeing as how I want everything power now. While I do know the firebird's window & mirror switches were in the console while the door locks looked cheap on the doors, I'll carefully remove the tape on the factory wiring and re-route it to where I need to. I'm not a man that likes chrome, as I have no doubt you have seen, I do not wish to use the crappy factory switches for the G-bodies.

I found on eBay a guy was selling the power window regulators w/motors, power door lock solenoids, and the power door lock rods for both sides. Needless to say they are paid for and on their way.

Now when it comes to the seats, that is where I'm at a crossroads. While I know for a fact the 4th gen Camaro seats are much more for comfort than the 3rd gen. The 3rd gen had a blue interior option, where the 4th did not. I am committed to staying with the original color of the interior which is blue.

Keep in mind, the followers of this thread, that while I am changing a lot, I do want to keep my Knight stock looking for the most part. If I go full blown custom, then we are talking a butt-load of money. Since I don't have Trump money, I have to stick to a budget. So I have to go with custom ideas that I think of and raid the junk yards to find the parts for dirt cheap.

Well, I have to get ready for work now. I work 12 hour shifts. And tonight and tomorrow night are my work nights. Can't wait for Wednesday morning when I go to pick up the Doors and Tank/sender from the junk yard.

Photos of the doors and tank/sender will be taken and posted on Wednesday.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:21 PM
Twisted Wrench

Name: Art
Year: 1980
Region: 17(NV)
NECOA #: 6682
Renoman will become famous soon enough

I just installed some 4th gen seats in my Elky. I had 3rd gen seats in it before but I repainted the car and did a color change to the interior from gray to tan. I agree the 4th gen seats are more comfortable than the 3rd gens and they look a little more modern. For some reason, and maybe it's just me but the mounting holes on the 3rd and 4th gen seats are about an inch narrower than the Camino buckets. This is where the seat actually bolts to the sliders. I never had Camino buckets since my car came with a bench seat. I put the 3rd gen seats when I converted my interior to an 88 Camaro IROC dash, console, seats, column, door panels etc for the Camaro look. So when I put the 3rd gen seats in I used the Camaro tracks which do not line up on the Camino's floor mounting brackets. So I modified my car to use the Camaro seat brackets. Now that I changed to 4th gen seats I'm using the stock Camino tracks on the 4th gen seats. I cut some inner bucket seat mounting brackets from a donar car and welded them in. Everything fits but I noticed the carpet holes on the inner brackets don't line up just right because I moved my brackets 1" further away from the tunnel. Someone else posted they installed 4th gen seats onto their Camino bucket seat brackets and installed them with no mods. Maybe the Elky brackets will bend more since they are so high they will fit the floor bolts with the narrower seat mounted on top.

Art
Old 02-28-2012, 12:00 AM

Master Wrench

Thank for them extra info,Art. I'll find out about how the seats will fit before I mod them. I can't remember where I saw it, but it was said that one could take off the brackets from the camino bench seats and they will mount directly to the camaro seats. But I will keep everyone updated on my find. Hell, when I go to the junk yard this wednesday, I may get the camaro seats, but take out the bench seats from the junked camino, take off the brackets and put them on the camaro seats to find out.

BTW Art, I did send you an email about getting any photos you can take of your stripped interior.

Well,break time @ work is over. Gotta go back to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement