Lowering my G Body 1978 El Camino - El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums
El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums

Ground Up
Notices

User Name
Password

Old 08-04-2012, 03:08 PM
NooB

Name: Jerome
Year: 1978
Model: El Camino
Region: 18(CA)
NECOA #: 22344
full time weirdos will become famous soon enough
Default Lowering my G Body 1978 El Camino

new to the forum and I need your sage advice on lowering my truck. I am trying to achieve this amount of drop & tuck on my el camino....

What I have now but not yet installed are...

1.Pair of 2" drop spindles
2.Eibach Pro Lowering springs 1" drop front and rear

So the total drop would be 3" in the front and 1" in the rear which comes out looking like this...

I don't want any rake on the stance at all and would like it evened out or maybe even a little lower in the rear.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is how many coils should I cut on the rear to make it even? Should I cut from the top or bottom?

To get closer to the stance on the first pic (yellow el camino) should i cut a little bit off the front coils as well?

a 1000 thank you's to anyone who can help steer me into the right direction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Site Contributor

Master Wrench

Name: John
Year: 1966
Region: 13(TX)
NECOA #: 20314
jpmdaddy is just really nice

The yellow elky looks 'bagged' to sit that low. Do you think it would be driveable without being raised using 'air bags' or something?

my '71 Cutlass convertible:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:24 PM
NooB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmdaddy View Post
The yellow elky looks 'bagged' to sit that low. Do you think it would be driveable without being raised using 'air bags' or something?
i've been driving cars even lower without bags for awhile now so I know how to navigate around my city in it. Not the safest thing to do but I manage. I once had a 56 bug that literally sat centimeters above ground . Scary, fun and stupid at the same time. I know I will be rubbing while I turn but I plan to "roll" my fenders and relocate my inner fender wells up above my wheels.

That El Camino belongs to a person in a Japanese car club called Pharoahs. I asked one of the members if it was bagged and he said no but couldn't give any much info on it.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:26 PM

Master Wrench

Name: Mike
Year: 1986
Region: 2 (CT,MA,ME,NH,RI,VT)
NECOA #: 19365
MikesElco94 will become famous soon enough

the problem you will run into cutting the rear springs on these cars is, the rear springs are pigtailed on both ends to properly perch them on the axles. If you cut the end that goes up into the spring perches up in the car, the weight will be unevenly distributed on one corner of the spring, it could possibly shift and cause damage. There are ways around this, hopefully others will chime in.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:33 PM
NooB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesElco94 View Post
the problem you will run into cutting the rear springs on these cars is, the rear springs are pigtailed on both ends to properly perch them on the axles. If you cut the end that goes up into the spring perches up in the car, the weight will be unevenly distributed on one corner of the spring, it could possibly shift and cause damage. There are ways around this, hopefully others will chime in.
darn. I didn't know both ends tapered in like that. I just ordered a set of lowering springs and the pics they used were stock generic pics most likely not for the el camino.

like you said, if anybody knows a way around this, I would gladly like to hear it.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:39 PM
Master Wrench

Year: 1983
Model: El Camino SS
Region: 8 (OH,WV)
NECOA #: 15853
Keyser Sose has much to be proud of

find a spring shop (look in yellow pages under truck repairing) they will be able to make you a set of springs to do what you want, whatever that may be. They are also surprisingly cheap, at least around here.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:02 PM
NooB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Sose View Post
find a spring shop (look in yellow pages under truck repairing) they will be able to make you a set of springs to do what you want, whatever that may be. They are also surprisingly cheap, at least around here.

right on. I will definitely look into that. Hopefully they don't charge much over here in the bay area. sometimes shops around here tend to overprice their services

but I found a pic of the rear springs and see what you mean about pig tailing in.

Do you think it'll be possible to cut a half or maybe even a quarter of coils on both sides? just a little so they still taper in so they sit correctly?

It might not be possible to achieve that yellow el camino stance and still have it functional so my new M.O. is to even out the drop and have no rake.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Master Wrench

Model: El Camino SS
Region: 8 (OH,WV)
NECOA #: 15853
Keyser Sose has much to be proud of

don't cut them til you talk to a spring shop. they can make them with thinner wire to lower it with softer ride, or thicker wire for lowered w/firm ride.

do a bit of research on the pound rating of stock springs, as well as both the free and compressed lengths. these are things the spring shop will want to know. A picture of stock ones prolly wouldn't hurt either, for clarity.

be sure and tell us what they quote you on this!

Old 08-04-2012, 04:24 PM
NooB

Quote:

Quote:
don't cut them til you talk to a spring shop. they can make them with thinner wire to lower it with softer ride, or thicker wire for lowered w/firm ride.

do a bit of research on the pound rating of stock springs, as well as both the free and compressed lengths. these are things the spring shop will want to know. A picture of stock ones prolly wouldn't hurt either, for clarity.

be sure and tell us what they quote you on this!

Thanks a bunch man. I will go ahead and give them a call once I get my springs in. I will try to find as much information as I can too.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:46 PM

Master Wrench

Name: Mike
Year: 1986
Region: 2 (CT,MA,ME,NH,RI,VT)
NECOA #: 19365
MikesElco94 will become famous soon enough

If anything do NOT cut both ends of the spring, you will render them useless since they have to sit completely flush on top of the rear axle. Might want to look into a different set of rear springs, or do as keyser said
Old 08-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Master Wrench

Name: Doug
Year: 1980
Region: 9 (IN,KY,MI)
NECOA #: 20152
oldtinsmith will become famous soon enough

I think I remember reading about cutting the pigtail off the top of the rear spring and being able to use an F-body isolator with the open spring top. I'll see if I can find it.

Doug
Old 08-04-2012, 05:00 PM
Master Wrench

Name: Doug
Year: 1980
Region: 9 (IN,KY,MI)
NECOA #: 20152
oldtinsmith will become famous soon enough

I found this over on GBF.

Re: Help choosing new coils front and rear

by pontiacgp on Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:05 pm
for the front I have the (S10) moog 5660 with 3/4 of a coil cut off. It's also lowered another 1/2" with tall lower ball joints. The front drops 1" cutting 1/2 coil off. The back has the (Phoenix 83) moog 5659 cut 1 coil off and using an F body isolator so I can use the open spring on top. That is the spring with the highest spring rate (162 lbs) I could find in a moog which is higher now that it cut and it's a constant rate spring
Old 08-04-2012, 05:11 PM
Banned

Master Wrench

Year: 1981
Region: 13(TX)
NECOA #: 14520
woody31 is just really nice

way to go doug thanks for the tip. im sure it will help others with the same issue
Old 08-04-2012, 05:21 PM
Master Wrench

Name: martin
Year: 1972
Region: 25 (ALL OTHER)
NECOA #: 22195
1972elcaminomartin will become famous soon enough
Garage

Another option you could consider is,getting your original rear springs reset,i did that to mine,just needed the vehicles weight,and a spring manufacturer in my area reset them to the the height i requested( 2in lower from memory).Although I have recently replaced them with new low H/D springs,which has made the ride a bit firmer.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:46 PM
Master Wrench

Name: joe leleux
Model: Caballero
Region: 6 (FL)
NECOA #: 19307
jlcustomz is a jewel in the rough

With the lenght of rear body hanging out past the rear wheels, it,s a lot harder to make it in & out of parking lots & what not with a lowered el camino than a bug or other shorter wheel base vehicles with shorter noses & tails. I'm an average lowered height right now & I can't go any lower around here without scraping this high labor 2010 camaro nose conversion of mine.
I,m looked into doing a quality airride setup without spending the big $, so I'll be piecing it together. Airlift has manual up down switches for as low as $14 each, times 4, that will do the job of 8 electric valves ,and switches , & electric wiring. I,m installing a york engine driven compressor I already have , & might fabricate my own bag brackets & use Airlift's bags. With drop spindles & all the other needed parts, I can get something together for around $1,000 with a little extra work.
As far as springs, if you,re going that low with them, coilovers are another option which is easily adjustable, although not low budget.
Relocating rear spring bracketing is another.
PS, like your screen name & interesed to see your final result.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement