Choo Choo front end on '85 - El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums
El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums

Ground Up
Notices

User Name
Password

Old 06-11-2003, 08:57 AM
Supporting Member

Master Wrench

Name: Mike
Year: 1985
Model: El Camino
Region: 17(NV)
NECOA #: 910
darbysan has a reputation beyond reputedarbysan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Choo Choo front end on '85

I'm considering putting a Choo Choo front end on an '85. I've seen the excellent step by step that was done using one from Choo Choo customs- looks like a lot of work, especiall having to chop up the bumper .

I've been looking at the one that Honest Charley's has for sale ( Custom Components). Looks like it might be an easier install. Has anyone had any experience with this one, or any other that might be more of a bolt on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2003, 09:33 AM

Master Wrench

Year: 1984
Model: Conquista
Region: 10(IL,MN,WI)
NECOA #: 572
theelcaminofactory is of outstanding character

If I'm not mistaken the frontend that Honest Charleys sells IS the Choo Choo frontend...I think Choo Choo Customs quit making that frontend sometime after GM quit sending them El Caminos. Can anyone verify this? Lauren Industries also makes a frontend conversion...but I don't care for it's looks. I got a good look at one of theirs on an Elky and it looks too generic.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:37 AM
Venerated Member

Master Wrench

Year: 1980
Model: El Camino SS
Region: 13(TX)
NECOA #: 3
ElkyPete is just really nice

I got the Complete LEX-19-A-EL Stage II Nose Conversion and stage II kit from Lauren Engineering. http://www.laureneng.com/flash/page02.html
They have a Camaro Conversion front end for the Elky, A Lumina "type" front end conversion and the one that resembles the Choo Choo front end. Bumper wraps, ground effects, spoilers, Scoops, and other stuff.

1972 El Camino Custom 400
1976 El Camino Classic
1980 El Camino Super Sport
E-Mail:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:20 PM
NECOA Founder

Master Wrench

Name: Dan
Year: 1987
Model: El Camino SS
Region: 7 (AL,GA,TN)
NECOA #: 1
ElkySS will become famous soon enough

Honest Charley sells both the original Choo-Choo neophrene (sp?) fascia or their own fiberglass replica of the Choo-Choo fascia. The fiberglass fascia has optional grill inserts but is more of a bolt-on to a stock front-end. You will need the headlight and parking light pieces. Honest Charley does, also, sell this as a kit.
I swapped out my original Choo-Choo fascia for the fiberglass fascia. I feel it holds paint for a much better match to the body paint. I had to "glass in" the grill insert so it would look like the original. If you don't fiberglass it in, it shows where the optional grill insert (stock or custom) is screwed into the fascia.
I've been very pleased with the Honest Charley fiberglass fascia. It can be seen in the ECC member pages, 5th gen, ElkySS_N001
Old 06-11-2003, 06:03 PM

Twisted Wrench

NECOA #: 526
Homerj_1 will become famous soon enough

You can avoid cuttitng up your front bumper. I just finished this project and I just used the bumperfiller and bumper pad off a MC SS I had to trim the ends off just about a 1/2 inch or so and other than that it worked just fined.. I installed the Original Choo Choo front end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement