El Camino Central Forum banner

New bucket seats for my 69...what do you think?

9K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  The mechanic 
#1 ·
Hey guys...looking to get rid of the bench seat and put in bucket seats and a small center console. I am thinking TMI seats would look KickAzz! Looking at several styles......what do you guys think?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm sort of in the same situation with mine right now. The original bench seat has been recovered and it's comfortable enough for short trips but on a longer ride there's no support, no bolsters on either side. So I while I do plan to put bucket in this winter, I haven't decided whether to go with some original seats and recover them and put in new foams so the car still looks original or go with either aftermarket seats or maybe just go to the salvage yard and look around for some nice looking and comfortable seats out of something else. A friend of mine has an `04 GTO that I have driven a few times and I really like those seats but they say GTO on them. Decisions, decisions. The TMI seats, well, we all like different things and while those seats look comfortable, they also look just a little too busy for my taste. Don't mean to offend, it's just my opinion.

#6 ·
I've been in the restoration business for 43 years and while I'm not a complete purist with my own cars, it's still difficult for me to stray from basically original but I sometimes envy you guys who have no problem building the cars the way you want them with no regard to keeping them original. I do feel that when it comes to our own cars we should have what we want, not what the rest of the world feels we should have, In my case, my El Camino is a driver but it's also a numbers matching big block car and that's where it gets hard for me to stray too far from OEM. My `65 Skylark is a different story. They aren't real valuable cars so I don't feel bad cutting a hole where I need one. One thing that will be an important factor for seats is my wife is in a wheelchair, so big side bolsters aren't going to work. She gets in and out of my Skylark just fine with the original bucket seats so I'll probably have to stick fairly close to a seat design that mimics the originals.

#18 ·
I used mine today and noticed the bench seat armrest/console has bigger cup holders. Can you explain how you did yours?

BTW, your seats look nice. I just did the Sport R with black vinyl and swede inserts. I bought the door panels, too but they didn't workout. The lock rod hole is an inch off. Plus, they didn't come with a template for hole drilling for the arm rest re-enforcement brackets nor for the holes along the bottom for the push pins. I am probably going to swap them for the flat Sport R panels and just use my old armrests.

#19 ·
Q for ZX1TRUTH: Pretty much must think a little like you I just do things a little different than most, I have just about finished thinking about the different seat styles and have landed on one and it is the same I believe you selected R1000 Pro Classic, or if the width difference is needed the Pro Series. No Rivets for me two reason everyone is using and I don't love them. I was looking to get a Q's answered from someone the has dealt with TMI with some custom changes. if you could

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.