No kick down cable installed - El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums
El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums

Ground Up
User Name
Password

Old 12-02-2019, 02:00 PM
NooB

Name: mark zeszut
Year: 1979
Model: El Camino
Region: 3 (DE,NJ,PA)
NECOA #: 91814
mzootie will become famous soon enough
Garage
Question No kick down cable installed

Hi All, just bought my first Elky. It has a new 383 stroker with at 2500 stall converter and TH350 automatic. There was no kick down cable installed on the build. Would like to understand why someone would do that. The connector is there on the passenger side and they filled it with RTV To contain any potential leakage. Also planning on buying and installing it so that I can drive it the way itís designed. There are so many options out there like Lokar and other eBay cheaper versions. Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2019, 05:23 AM

Master Wrench

Name: Tom
Year: 1968
Model: El Camino SS
Region: 18(CA)
NECOA #: 88002
any4xx will become famous soon enough
Garage

Guessing someone just got lazy. The cable is important so I’d get one on there sooner than later. When I got my car with the TH350 I discovered that the cable was stretched to its limit. I bought a replacement cable that adjusts for length. It was a simple install and turned out I had to lengthen it much more than the cable that was originally on there for a relaxed routing. I can’t remember the brand, but I bought it through Summit. I think it was about $15.00. It’s such a simple component that I’m not thinking it’s worth shopping for a particular brand.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:33 AM
Master Wrench

Name: John
Year: 1971
Region: 4 (MD,VA)
NECOA #: 12345
caminonut will become famous soon enough

If you already don't have one, You're also going to need the TV kickdown cable bracket that bolts to the intake on the driver side on the last two bolts on the back of your intake manifold.
You can find a GM bracket on eBay already restored for $18.50

Old 12-03-2019, 02:03 PM
NooB

Name: mark zeszut
Year: 1979
Region: 3 (DE,NJ,PA)
NECOA #: 91814
mzootie will become famous soon enough
Garage

After much research on the kick down cable type and brand I decided to go for the Lokar. Just seemed to me even though there are much less expensive options on EBay and others the AMERICAN made product would be the better choice. I didn’t want to risk quality for a couple bucks
Old 12-03-2019, 02:06 PM

Master Wrench

Name: Tom
Year: 1968
Model: El Camino SS
Region: 18(CA)
NECOA #: 88002
any4xx will become famous soon enough
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzootie View Post
After much research on the kick down cable type and brand I decided to go for the Lokar. Just seemed to me even though there are much less expensive options on EBay and others the AMERICAN made product would be the better choice. I didnít want to risk quality for a couple bucks
Always a safe bet. I blew too many $$$ on Lokar dipsticks and a throttle cable during my Ď68 SSí resurrection. But they sure are pretty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in