Right To Repair - Massachusetts Senate Passes Resolution to Do In-Depth Study - El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums
El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums

Ground Up
Notices

User Name
Password
Go Back   El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums > General Topics > Legislative Alerts

Old 07-26-2018, 10:05 PM
Master Wrench

Name: T
Year: 1986
Model: El Camino
Region: 13(TX)
NECOA #: 22854
cyberray has much to be proud of
Default Right To Repair - Massachusetts Senate Passes Resolution to Do In-Depth Study

This is a Good thing! And this is not just Massachusetts. Watch the tractor video and it lists other states that are considering the same thing.

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/18/07...ight-to-repair

"On July 25, the Massachusetts Senate approved a Resolution that would create a special commission that would research the feasibility of forcing device manufacturers to treat customers and independent repair shops the same as officially licensed repair outlets. According to the proposed study, that means providing customers and independent repair shops with "repair technical updates, diagnostic software, service access passwords, updates and corrections to firmware, and related documentation." Gay Gordon Byrne, executive director of The Repair Organization, helped push the bill in 2012 and has been working to extend the law to tech companies ever since. "This is just one step in a series of steps that will end Repair Monopolies for technology products. I'm thrilled," Byrne told me in an email about the pending study.

The Resolution to create the study group still needs to pass the Massachusetts House, but the session ends July 31 so right-to-repair watch dogs won't have to wait long to see if it goes forward. The proposed makeup of the study commission shows that the legislature is serious about the issue and also reveals how big tech's repair monopoly is about much more than just being able to open up your iPhone without voiding the warranty. The legislature wants the study commission to include 23 members, including various members of the legislature but also a wealth of experts in various tech fields. They want someone from the Massachusetts Farm Bureau, a medical device manufacturer, an expert on electronic waste recycling, someone who repairs complex medical equipment, an intellectual property lawyer, a cyber security expert, a local farmer, and various other experts and citizens affected or knowledgeable about the right-to-repair."

http://www.telegram.com/news/2017092...ronics-in-mass
"The auto industry should not get “swept into this hysteria,” said Robert O’Koniewski, of the Massachusetts State Auto Dealers Association, who wants a clear exemption to keep motor vehicles out of this right to repair legislation."

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...ight-to-repair
"Farmers across America are hacking their tractors because manufacturer John Deere doesn’t want them to fix them themselves."

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...ight-to-repair
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2018, 07:09 AM
Site Contributor

Master Wrench

Name: Rick
Year: 1970
Region: 14(AR,LA,MS)
NECOA #: 78882
B52bombardier1 is just really nice

Hello,

While I do sympathize to the overall desire here, there are intellectual property and proprietary information rights here on behalf of the manufacturers. Unless you are paying for such rights, the companies will contend that you have no right to access the code that they spent a lot of money to develop.

Any hacking that is done that turns out badly can also expose the company to liability that is not the fault of the company.

This is a very thorny issue and I do sympathize but . . .

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2018, 10:50 PM
Master Wrench

Name: T
Year: 1986
Region: 13(TX)
NECOA #: 22854
cyberray has much to be proud of

they also spent a lot of money to develop the hardware and I don't see them raising a fuss about owners working on that, instead of forcing them to take it to the dealership to be worked on. so they sell the hardware but LICENSE the software on the vehicle? I didn't sign or agree to any license agreement in my last vehicle purchase, nor was I given any notification by the seller or the manufacturer that I would be subject to such restrictions. So I'm guessing that I'm then using the firmware and software built-in to the vehicle illegally since I was never given notice?

and as for paying for such rights.... the companies won't even sell access to the software. if I needed it, I would buy a reasonably priced licensed version of the software.
this is just like the Lexmark printers that had chips in the printer cartridges lying about ink levels or the Keurig v2.0 coffee makers that won't make coffee without a special licensed barcode on the k-cup. and reaching even further back, do I really need to bring up the issue of the CueCat? those of us in I.T. know how they got laughed out of the market with their ridiculous claims. how about the HP inkjet printers that would printout practically invisible color codes without the printer owners being notified?
and to bring it full-circle, how many people even knew until a few years ago that car manufacturers were sticking 'black boxes' into cars and that insurance companies were using it to track people in their driving? without the ability to review the software, what else have the tractor manufacturers done that could potentially go against the law?

Essentially, manufacturers are trying to use technology to restrict people from fair use of the product they purchased. it's like me selling you a computer and telling you what software you can & can't use on it, unless you pay me for the ability to install that certain software. if I modify the software with a hacked copy then I can live with no warranty or support, but for the manufacturer to prohibit any access whatsoever when they could easily sell me a registered version that would allow me to simply run diagnostics? not acceptable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in