Ď68: Leaky heater core now gone. - El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums
El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums

Ground Up
Notices

User Name
Password

Old 03-28-2019, 02:33 PM

Master Wrench

Name: Tom
Year: 1968
Model: El Camino SS
Region: 18(CA)
NECOA #: 88002
any4xx will become famous soon enough
Garage
Default Ď68: Leaky heater core now gone.

This job has always been rumored to be a horrible experience. But I must say that, while it wasnít the easiest, it was certainly not as bad as rumored. I now have no heating system components in my car at all. Since my transmission is no longer leaking and I already had money set aside to replace it, if necessary, Iím instead going to direct those funds toward a Classic Auto Air system.

I already have a new Dakota Digital dash and new dash bezel awaiting installation. It seems like there is really no better time to address the HVAC since my dash will be torn apart anyway. Perhaps my newly leaking heater core was more of a gift than a curse, as itís saving me from having to disassemble things twice.

Anyway, all work is on hold for about two weeks while my lovely wife and I head out of town. Iím ready for a break from this anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FD8F0D15-7B2F-4003-85B7-690DC1D0FAE8.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	3.67 MB
ID:	110094  

Name:	37ED8A9F-6CF3-4752-8E04-185817AA71EF.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	4.37 MB
ID:	110096  

Name:	71E2FE3E-BE82-4342-8C4D-3E0B3162EAFE.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	2.77 MB
ID:	110098  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2019, 08:33 AM
Twisted Wrench

Name: Steve DeMartin
Model: El Camino
NECOA #: 91234
heetseeker will become famous soon enough
Garage

Glad I found your adventures with the heater on your 68. I'm changing out my heater control head, cables and heater core soon. Any tips on where to begin with the removal? I hear the glove box has to come out and i'm dreading that part, because the previous owner put the new wiring harness/fuse panel in there and it has very little play. I might have to destroy the box removing it...
Old 11-22-2019, 04:09 PM

Master Wrench

Garage

99% sure you’ll have to remove the glovebox to get the control cables off of the air box, but maybe not. If you end up having to destroy the glove box reproductions are easy to come by and relatively cheap. Basically you just need to remove the two screws that hold the controller from underneath then separate the cables from the air box and electrical connectors from the controller and drop it right out.

Old 11-22-2019, 08:56 PM
Twisted Wrench

Garage

This could happen tomorrow unless the mrs wants to go on a motorcycle ride through the delta. We have unseasonably warm weather here in the Sacramento Valley lately. Have to take advantage of it when it's here. Awesome tips, thanks!
Old 11-23-2019, 05:21 AM
Master Wrench

Name: Jeff
Year: 1969
Region: 8 (OH,WV)
NECOA #: 19572
pitts64 is a glorious beacon of light
Garage

There really not that hard..
Old 12-04-2019, 07:40 PM
Twisted Wrench

Garage

It's out and replaced. Did the fan motor, and still waiting on the new dash pad so I can install the heater head and cables. Hey, did you happen to put a light in the heater control and wire it up to the other gauge lights? I'm still searching for a light socket that will fit it and will try that if possible. Meanwhile, i'm adding a vacuum pump and extra reservoir so the pump doesn't work too hard. Also found the wires to the wiper motor that were tucked under the fender and not installed. Too bad they are not stock harness ends (Packard 56). i'll have to trial and error once I get the inner fender, battery tray and battery back in it. Wipers would be nice! .... Maybe tomorrow.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:16 AM
Master Wrench

Name: Jeff
Region: 8 (OH,WV)
NECOA #: 19572
pitts64 is a glorious beacon of light
Garage

It should heat better without all that debris in there. I would grease all the little door hinges and springs also..

When ever removing hoses from the heater core, I get my razor knife and slit the hose length wise to relieve the pressure. Pulling on the brass hose connections usually causes leaks..
Old 12-05-2019, 05:25 AM

Master Wrench

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
It's out and replaced. Did the fan motor, and still waiting on the new dash pad so I can install the heater head and cables. Hey, did you happen to put a light in the heater control and wire it up to the other gauge lights? I'm still searching for a light socket that will fit it and will try that if possible. Meanwhile, i'm adding a vacuum pump and extra reservoir so the pump doesn't work too hard. Also found the wires to the wiper motor that were tucked under the fender and not installed. Too bad they are not stock harness ends (Packard 56). i'll have to trial and error once I get the inner fender, battery tray and battery back in it. Wipers would be nice! .... Maybe tomorrow.
Mine already had a light in it which was wired in with the rest of the dash lights. Iíd think it would be easy to find a replacement socket, although Iíve never searched for one. If you happen to strike out let me know and Iíll dig one out of my piles of leftovers for you.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:10 AM
Twisted Wrench

Garage

Thank you for the offer. I ordered 2 sockets for my dash and only needed one that I broke off while removing the heater control unit. I think the heater takes the same small socket so I might get lucky with it. Today i'll be removing the speedo cable and lubing it up as it is a little bouncy. PTFE lube should do it. Might as well tackle that while the dash is partially removed and the cable is easier to get to.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:45 AM
Master Wrench

Name: Rob
Region: 16(CO,MT,WY,UT)
NECOA #: 41850
robpp is a jewel in the rough
Garage

what i found on my heater was same as dash but it had 2 wires (like my warning lights) BUT had a longer bulb than 1895. might have been a 1891 to go into the unit more.

1969 El Camino

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:10 PM
Twisted Wrench

Garage

Taking a couple of days off, but i'll get going on the heater tomorrow evening for a couple of hrs. Had a buddy come over and we dove into the wiper motor. After watching "how to test a GM wiper motor" by Cris Craft, the motor is no good. Have another one on the way and a new switch...Never ends!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in