installed AIRLIFT 1000 in 85 El Camino today - El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums
El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums

Ground Up
User Name
Password

Old 01-30-2006, 07:38 PM
NooB

Tomahawke will become famous soon enough
Default installed AIRLIFT 1000 in 85 El Camino today

Installed the Airlift 1000 package from Summit Was well Packaged and everything seems to work OK. What holds the spacer in the bottom of the spring in place. Mine look like they need to be adjusted into place. Is this normal.... ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2006, 08:15 PM
Master Wrench

Year: 1978
Model: El Camino SS
Region: 12(MO,OK,KS)
NECOA #: 395
WarPony will become famous soon enough

What spacer are you talking about? Is it stock or come with the kit?
78 El Camino SS, NECOA #395.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:15 PM

Master Wrench

Name: Larry
Year: 1980
Model: El Camino
Region: 10(IL,MN,WI)
NECOA #: 931
Camino80 will become famous soon enough

Frankie, When you inflate the bag it will hold the spacer in place. One suggestion, run two air lines. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Larry

Old 01-31-2006, 12:37 AM

Master Wrench

Mrapii has a spectacular aura about

When you inflate the bags those spacers will be held in place. On the original bags I had one spacer for each bag but when I had to replace one bag Air Lift sent me a shorter bag and two spacers.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:43 PM
NooB

Tomahawke will become famous soon enough

GUYS. thanks for the input, I did run two lines, and the bags are checking 15 lbs today. It is a little firm, but the rear end is higher, which I wanted. The handling is better, although I was sceptical of that. I am goin to re-adjust the hard rubber "spacer" to sit better in the spring, I am not satisfied with it partly sticking out. On my 85, I did have to remove a "cup looking thing" from the top of the springmount , in order for mine to fit. I guess that cup is to eliminate bottoming out of the spring, and to hold the spring in place. Anyway, the air bag now does that....... Thanks for the info, and I have monitored the forum for a while, and all the free advise is right on target, and also FREE>>>>>>>> what a great country... Tomahawke
Old 02-01-2006, 01:07 AM

Master Wrench

You shouldn't have removed that "cup like thing" at the top spring mount. It's there to keep the spring from being displaced whne the shock fully extends. Put it back.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:20 PM

Master Wrench

NECOA #: 5347
oldelky80 will become famous soon enough

Maybe I did something wrong when I installed mine. The instructions said the rubber spacer went on top of the air bag, so to me that says the nipple on the air bag is pointing up. I took the spring out to install the air bag as I was doing some other suspension work at the same time. I removed the upper cup, ran the air line down through the hole left from removing the bolt out of the cup. Even with the shock removed and the suspension hanging, the spring is still tight against the upper cushion, so no fear of the spring coming out. It sounds like everyone else put the bag in so the airline was at the bottom?
Old 03-13-2006, 09:04 AM

Master Wrench

I have contacted Tech Support at AirLift. They advised me that the valve and spacers are installed on the bottom and not to remove the cup. The cup prevents the spring from being dislodged during full jounce.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in