Dealing with Insurance - Page 2 - El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums
El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums

Ground Up
Notices

User Name
Password

Old 12-01-2018, 05:56 PM
Twisted Wrench

Name: kurt
Year: 1972
Model: Sprint
Region: 10(IL,MN,WI)
NECOA #: 27298
scootertrash will become famous soon enough
Garage

6 weeks after the crash and State farm is a Dud. Their websight that they make you sign up to does not work. They give you a phony Email address that is not monitored. We have sent the Supplement in from several different sources, still no reply. If they are called the canned response is "We can't help you, until we get an update".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2019, 10:21 PM
Twisted Wrench

Garage
Default Finally

After 4 months, State Farm finally came up with a check! Or at least Foremost says it is in the mail. The woman at State Farm actually told me a 1972 car wasn't worth fixing and I should be happy to get anything. I finally turned it over to my insurance and they worked with the body shop. I was fortunate to have some recent pictures of the car, Before the accident. And several before work began.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:28 AM
Ministry of Broke Things

Master Wrench

Name: Glenn
Model: El Camino
Region: 13(TX)
NECOA #: 2834
rushgator is a name known to all
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrinehart View Post
Just for clarification in case others are considering Hagerty insurance. An enclosed garage IS required in Texas. As Rushgator stated, requirements vary by State.

Barry, actually that has recently changed. As in changed within the last six months. While they prefer a fully enclosed locked garage, they will now insure a vehicle stored in a carport. However, it does affect the rate, and they still do not allow outside storage on the gulf coast for obvious reasons. They're steadily loosening up guidelines to get more business.

"Wind-In my hair-Shifting and drifting-Mechanical music-Adrenalin surge"--Rush, Red Barchetta

Old 06-02-2019, 08:06 PM
Twisted Wrench

Garage

I got another letter from State Farm, after 7 months. They still won't pay.
My insurance paid. I'm out my deductible and my rates went up, because I had my first claim ever. And they devalued my car by the amount they paid for the repair!
Old 06-02-2019, 09:48 PM
Site Contributor

Master Wrench

Name: Gale and his cats
Year: 1970
Region: 18(CA)
NECOA #: 38617
Old Bear has a reputation beyond reputeOld Bear has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

I would think hail damage would be enough reason to have a garage in Texas/Oklahoma.

Take A Kid To A Car Show

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:40 PM
Master Wrench

Name: T
Year: 1986
NECOA #: 22854
cyberray has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash View Post
I got another letter from State Farm, after 7 months. They still won't pay.
My insurance paid. I'm out my deductible and my rates went up, because I had my first claim ever. And they devalued my car by the amount they paid for the repair!
your insurance company won't act as your subrogation agent to get your money back from State Farm? sounds like time to find a new insurance company. sure am glad I have USAA
Old 06-11-2019, 08:58 AM
Ministry of Broke Things

Master Wrench

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberray View Post
your insurance company won't act as your subrogation agent to get your money back from State Farm? sounds like time to find a new insurance company. sure am glad I have USAA
Agreed. And if the accident was deemed not at fault on your part, your rates should not have increased, with the exception that if you had a claims free discount, you may have lost that. I would first check with them and make sure your claims history is showing correctly and that you are not incorrectly tagged with an at fault accident. And then, once you have made sure everything is correct on your claims history, start shopping for insurance. They shouldn't be devaluing by the repair amount. I honestly have never heard of such a thing unless you have not yet repaired it. And I've been in the insurance business 20+ years. I'd check out Hagerty and/or Grundy to start.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:10 PM
Master Wrench

Name: T
Year: 1986
NECOA #: 22854
cyberray has much to be proud of

kurt,
check the laws in your state for insurance regulatory agencies and what their fiduciary duties are to you. you may also want to check your insurance binder (which is a contract) for what Foremost was supposed to do for you as their customer. you may have a valid complaint about being treated the way they have you. I'm not saying you'll get satisfaction but if you can make life hell for them and have someone breathing down their necks.......

as rushgator can tell you, if they've screwed up your records you may have a hard time getting your record fixed later because all the companies share data thru an industry claims database. I'm not sure what questions to ask that would keep them honest and on their toes, you'd have to ask Rushgator.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:15 AM
Ministry of Broke Things

Master Wrench

Garage

You have the right to ask for a copy of your claims history. In the industry, it's called a "loss run". I'd ask for that so that you can review it for accuracy and make sure they're not charging you for an at fault accident. The rate increase makes me suspicious. And as cyberray stated, the earlier an inaccuracy is found, the easier it is to fix. Foremost is much more likely to correct a mistake while you're still a customer. If you cancel and then ask them to correct something, they may do it, but they will not be in much of a hurry to do so.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:19 PM
Master Wrench

Name: Michael Zeigler
Region: 16(CO,MT,WY,UT)
NECOA #: 82162
Mike Zeigler will become famous soon enough
Garage

I believe I would be contacting the state insurance commission, with all documentation and details explaining how this has been handled or mis handled.If you cash their check they are off the hook.

My 2 cents,Mike

Last edited by Mike Zeigler; 06-17-2019 at 06:20 PM. Reason: kant spell
Old 11-14-2019, 07:49 AM

NECOA #: 91816
MrSandman will become famous soon enough

Well, it really sucks, when your insurance agency treats you like that. I had a same problem like 4 years ago. I've had enough of this kind of a treatment, and I asked my friend Dave what to do. He gave me this link https://www.americaninsurance.com/. And now I have a fine insurance. No bad treatment, good prices, etc. Just do it. This is better than waiting 6 weeks for an answer. I don't think that State Farm is the only option for you. And another thing - I wish you good luck with taking your money back.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:49 AM
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member

Master Wrench

Name: Bruce
Year: 1968
Model: El Camino SS
Region: 3 (DE,NJ,PA)
NECOA #: 8673
BAS-Sr is a jewel in the rough
Garage

I am an Agent with Farmers, from all your comments looks like you like JC Taylor other than them not having a local adjuster? Seems to be a common theme with some of the smaller insurance carriers that write "classic" car insurance. Even though I work for Farmers, have been with American Modern Home with all 5 of my "classic's" for over 30 years, great price and service, only had one claim in that time which was a broken windshield which I had replaced that I paid for and got reimbursed by American fully after the fact.

Where is the guy who hit you? Why are you dealing with so much crap from State Farm in stead of telling him that he needs to pay up? You did not select his insurance so that should be his problem, not yours.

Just my $.02
'87 el Camino Choo Choo SS (305 TPI, 200R4, 3.73 LSD)
'87 Buick GN Hardtop
Old 11-15-2019, 05:52 AM

Master Wrench

Name: Don
Year: 1984
Region: 8 (OH,WV)
NECOA #: 23695
Nicks 1984 elcamino is a jewel in the rough
Garage

GRUNDY!!!! Check them out. Sue his insurance for at least your deductable.

Last edited by Nicks 1984 elcamino; 11-15-2019 at 06:02 AM.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:00 AM
Supporting Member

Master Wrench

Name: Mike
Year: 1985
Region: 17(NV)
NECOA #: 910
darbysan has a reputation beyond reputedarbysan has a reputation beyond reputedarbysan has a reputation beyond reputedarbysan has a reputation beyond repute

I had a similar issue years ago. My insurance paid me for the damage, and it took Geico 2 yrs to pay back my insurance co, so I could get "part" of my deductible back. At least in my state, the insurance co has 2 years to settle, and they will take all of it if your insurance company has already paid. Guess they figure it's just Company to Company at that point, and sort of a "professional" arrangement between companies.
'85 SS, Wicked Ruby Red, Gm Crate 350, Vortec heads,TPI, Serp, TES headers, Choo Choo nose, Acura Leather heated buckets, 2004 Gp Console and Shifter, 8.5 GN rear with 3.73, GN 200-4r, Craftec Tonneau w/ Electric release, Power Mirrors, Electronic HVAC, ZQ8 rims, Blazer Front brake upgrade, LS1 rear brake upgrade
My Web Site--
Old 11-15-2019, 09:03 AM
Supporting Member

Master Wrench

Name: Mike
Year: 1985
Region: 17(NV)
NECOA #: 910
darbysan has a reputation beyond reputedarbysan has a reputation beyond reputedarbysan has a reputation beyond reputedarbysan has a reputation beyond repute

As for insurance companies, I recently went through looking at a bunch of them, and settled on American Classic Insurance. They provide Agreed Value, and have policies that will allow lots of mileage ( Freedom Plan) if you need that. If you are retired, they do not require a daily driver for all users in the household.
Another one I liked was Corvette Museum Insurance. Probably the best prices, if you have enough Daily Driver cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in