Master Wrench

Name: Peter Brown
Year: 1987
Model: El Camino SS
Region: 7 (AL,GA,TN)
NECOA #: 128
87SS will become famous soon enough
Default Door Pins and bushings

Has anyone replaced the door pins and bushings on a 5th Gen. It's about time for me to give this a try and I'm looking for all the helpful tips and trick I can get....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2003, 01:08 PM

Master Wrench

Year: 1984
Model: Conquista
Region: 10(IL,MN,WI)
NECOA #: 572
theelcaminofactory has a brilliant future

Haven't done it yet either, but also getting ready to. Purchased the pin kit and an extra set of used hinges to rebuild, this way I don't have to take the doors off until I'm ready and it'll be just bolt the rebuilt ones on and put doors back on. Have you seen the price of new hinges, outrageous! Spent about $36 for a kit and hinges.

Old 02-17-2003, 01:22 PM
Banned
Master Wrench

Name: Ernie
Model: El Camino
Region: 2 (CT,MA,ME,NH,RI,VT)
NECOA #: 560
87ElCamino has a reputation beyond repute87ElCamino has a reputation beyond repute87ElCamino has a reputation beyond repute87ElCamino has a reputation beyond repute87ElCamino has a reputation beyond repute87ElCamino has a reputation beyond repute

I've done several of the driver side upper hinge pin and bushings. It seems to be the only one that ever needs replacing. It's possible to do it on the car too. Get a new pin and some standard size and oversized bushings from your GM dealer or the HELP packages in any good parts store. Total parts are under $10. The best case scenario is that you only have to replace the pin and stock bushings. Worst case is the pin has worn through the bushing and damaged the hinge. Sometimes opening up the bushing hole and installing oversized bushings is necessary. I'll try to go step by step and not forget anything important.

1. Get a friend to help. A real big, dependable type of guy. The door's awkward and heavy.
2. Open the door about half way.
3. Support the outer end of the door, right at the corner with a floor jack and a piece of wood. I use a 4X6X12
4. Cut the crimped "tabs" from the top of the pin, or cut the whole top of the pin off.
5. Have the helper get a good hold on the door. Explain what you'll do to him if he drops the door.
6. Drive the hinge pin downward and out with a drift. This is where the helper is important because the door is now supported by only the jack and the lower hinge and can tip easily.
7. Have the helper very slightly, and very slowly, lower the outer end of the door with the jack so you can access and remove the two old bushings.
8. Install the two new bushings.
9. Have your helper slowly raise the outer end of the door high enough to install the new hinge pin from the top down, opposite of the original pin.
10. With a drift and a hammer, drive the hinge pin downward until the knurled end is set in the hinge.
11. Lube the new pin and bushings and check the adjustment of the door striker.

Total time: about 2 hours

Old 02-17-2003, 02:16 PM
87 Choo Choo
Master Wrench

Name: Peter Brown
Model: El Camino SS
Region: 7 (AL,GA,TN)
NECOA #: 128
87SS will become famous soon enough

Excellent Ernie, that's exactly what I was looking for...good directions.

Thanks
Old 04-22-2003, 11:19 PM
Site Contributor

Torque Wrench

Year: 1983
Model: El Camino Classic
Region: 19(AK,ID,OR,WA)
NECOA #: 331
83Elky will become famous soon enough

Ernie,

Thanks for the information re hinge pins. Replacing the pin in the driver's door was something I have been meaning to do, but procrastinated until I saw your post. My Elky is an '83 and some aspects were a little different but not materially.

The greatest difficulty was that I had to enlarge the upper bushing hole and that was really a bear with the door on. Didn't have a drill bit of the right size that was long enough to reach down past the door edge. I finally "McGyver'ed" a Dremel grind stone in a 10" piece of dowel that allowed me to use my drill to grind the hole just large enough to take the bushing with the help of a BFH.

Because I didn't have to take the lower pin out I was generally able to manipulate the door by myself using the jack approach you suggested. But my overall time was about three hours.

The door closes much better now. I expect the wind noise will be cosiderably less now,too.

Thanks again for sharing your experience; it helped immensely.

Dan
Old 04-23-2003, 07:36 AM
Banned
Master Wrench

87ElCamino has a reputation beyond repute87ElCamino has a reputation beyond repute87ElCamino has a reputation beyond repute87ElCamino has a reputation beyond repute87ElCamino has a reputation beyond repute87ElCamino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83Elky
Ernie, Thanks for the information re hinge pins.
I'm glad it helped. Now it's your responsibility to pass this info (and your experience) on to others. There's lots of sagging drivers doors out there.

It's easier to do them before the pin starts wearing into the hinge like yours was. Once it wears into the hinge you have to open up the hole for the oversized bushing. The next time you do one it will be faster, now that you know what to expect.

Old 05-14-2003, 05:01 PM

NooB

tom will become famous soon enough
Default Getting ready to replace doors and pins for my 75 Elky

Any helpful hints for replacing the doors and hinge pins for a 75 Classic, the alignment between the fenders and original doors is good, but the doors are about a quater of an inch concaved into the body where the striker and door come in contact. I just bought the doors from AllMetal in Texas for $400 for the pair, with glass and rust free, shipping included!!
Couldn't pass that deal up.
thanks
tom
Old 05-15-2003, 07:39 AM

Master Wrench

ElkyPete is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87ElCamino
5. .......... Explain what you'll do to him if he drops the door.
I love that statement.
Old 05-15-2003, 10:19 AM

Torque Wrench

Year: 1985
Region: 12(MO,OK,KS)
NECOA #: 4
elmpala will become famous soon enough

When you replacd the hinge pin did you also replace the round bearing that rides against the spring loaded door holder opener? Did you buy a hinge pin kit ? Where ? Does it come with the bearing or is that a seperate item? I've been procastinating for a long time also. Thanks for any info.
NECOA MEMBER #004
Old 05-15-2003, 12:59 PM
Site Contributor

Torque Wrench

Year: 1983
Model: El Camino Classic
Region: 19(AK,ID,OR,WA)
NECOA #: 331
83Elky will become famous soon enough

No, I didn't replace the round bearing. Yes, I bought a hinge pin kit. I got it at our local "Schucks" auto supply; it was with the "H.E.L.P." parts display. It didn't come with the round bearing; I don't know if that is a separate item 'cause I didn't look for one. Does seem reasonable that there could be one, though.
Good luck.
Dan
Old 05-15-2003, 05:31 PM
Banned
Master Wrench

Quote:
When you replacd the hinge pin did you also replace the round bearing that rides against the spring loaded door holder opener?
No, it usually doesn't need replacing.

Quote:
Did you buy a hinge pin kit ? Where ?
I buy the pins and bushings at the local GM dealer. They are also available in the HELP packages at most auto parts stores.

Quote:
Does it come with the bearing or is that a seperate item?
www.GMPartsDirect.com GM PART # 20497383 Roller w/pin F/D UPR HGE

Old 06-12-2003, 07:20 AM

NooB

Default Replacing doors, hinges, pins and bushings 75 Classic

Well, finally recieved my doors from AllMetal in Texas $400 for shipping, doors and glass(great price!!). Converted passenger door from power window/locks to no power window/locks, no problem...driver side door was a snap..the only problem was matching the upper hinge bolts, passenger side, the bolts in the original door were too large(1/2"x 20) for the new old door(7/16" x 20). Anybody ever run into this problem...??

tom
Old 06-12-2003, 12:41 PM

Master Wrench

Year: 1984
Model: Conquista
Region: 10(IL,MN,WI)
NECOA #: 572
theelcaminofactory has a brilliant future

How about a phone number, e-mail address, or something for AllMetal, I need doors too!

Old 06-12-2003, 12:51 PM

NooB

Default AllMetal contact name and number

These guys were great to deal with. Ask for Dan 1-800-726-6654

tom
Old 01-07-2004, 05:19 PM
Joneboyy

I need help getting the correct pin for the door hinge. I need the upper outside pin and all the dealer has is a kit for the complete hinge for $131. and bushings for .75 a piece. Auto parts has HELP parts for large inner main door hinge #38400, but can not find smaller pin I need. Yes I'm new and have never done this before and it seems running parts is more of a headache than the rplacement it self. Can anyone give me the HELP part # please.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Postal Code
Required
Street Address
Complete, verifiable Street or other address required (Hidden)
City
Your city or town
State or Province
Required
Location area within State
Which selection best describes the area of the State that you live in.
Country
Required
NECOA Region
Required
Year of Vehicle
Required
Make of Vehicle
Required
Model of Vehicle
Required
Real Name
Required. Your real name to be shown in your posts and profile.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in