Ground Up
Notices

User Name
Password

Old 12-11-2004, 01:26 PM
Master Wrench

vrooom3440 will become famous soon enough
Default Brake boost opinions?

I have the original monster vacuum booster in my '68. I also have a BB and tall valve covers. Which is a problem... that I need to fix.

Perhaps I could switch over to short valve covers. This would be the cheapest route but aside from trial and error, how do you know if your valvetrain will clear?

Or I could get more adventurous and go the booster swap route. I see the following possibilities:

1. Get a basic 8" vacuum booster.

2. Get a dual diaphram 7" vacuum booster.

3. Get an electric hydroboost setup. Then I have to wire it in which is pretty simple and quite doable.

4. Get a power steering pump driven hydroboost setup. Then I have to plumb it in which is a bit more involved due to the high pressures. Probably have to get custom lines fabricated up at some extra cost.

I have number 4 in my Mustang and like it a lot. Nonetheless I am looking for opinions, suggestions, and experiences others have had along these lines.

Thanks,
Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2004, 02:19 AM

Master Wrench

Mrapii has a spectacular aura about

If the dual chamber smaller diameter booster clears that is probably the simplest solution.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:21 AM

Master Wrench

ElkyPete is just really nice

Maybe you could look into the booster they put on the Diesel Elkys. They ran off the Powersteering pump not the vacuum booster. I might not work but it is worth a try. They also put them on some of the newer Big Block Pickups.

Old 12-12-2004, 09:02 AM

Master Wrench

Year: 1971
Model: El Camino
Region: 13(TX)
NECOA #: 1192
2-Elkys will become famous soon enough

I just put a 7" Stainless booster and a Chrome master cylinder on my 71 it looks and works great.. I would reccomend it to anyone.

Here is a pic of the setup.

https://elcaminocentral.com/albums/al...010009_001.jpg

Work in progress.. Me and my ElkY!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:03 AM
Master Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkyPete
Maybe you could look into the booster they put on the Diesel Elkys. They ran off the Powersteering pump not the vacuum booster. I might not work but it is worth a try. They also put them on some of the newer Big Block Pickups.
That is basically option number 4 that I am considering. There were diesel Elkys? Interesting to know they actually put something like this on an Elky already.

There is an outfit that makes complete bolt-on packages like this: hydraboost.com. I would like to go this route but they are just a bit pricey at $500. Could buy a few vacuum boosters for that kinda change. Then there is the wrecking yard approach... but then you have to figure out and build lines and other details like which brake pedal attach point to use (they like to use the manual pivot rather than the power pivot). Does anybody know if Elkys actually have two pivot points on their brake pedals?

Steve
Old 12-12-2004, 10:38 AM

Master Wrench

Year: 1971
Model: El Camino
Region: 7 (AL,GA,TN)
NECOA #: 2540
Mama Mayhem is a jewel in the rough

My 71 has 2 pivot points, your 68 probably does too.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:41 PM

Master Wrench

Mrapii has a spectacular aura about

I had a factory hydroboost system on a Chevy truck and I went thru two leaking master cylinders before a old timer mechanic told me to put a fluid cooler in the system, after that I had no problems. The reason I mention this is that the hydroboost system works well and in circumstances where it is necessary (long duration cams or booster clearance problems) I would use it. My question is why go through all the additional expense and complications when it is not necessary? Anyway that's my two cents.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:00 PM
Master Wrench

Year: 1985
Model: El Camino SS
Region: 3 (DE,NJ,PA)
NECOA #: 3909
12seccamino will become famous soon enough

Since you guys are on the topic. Is there anybody who makes a chrome or stainless vacuum brake booster for gen 5 el caminos? I want a bolt in with out too much modification. -Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

check out my El Camino and vote!

1985 Custom El Camino, 383ci w/Nitrous, th350, and 3:42 GN rear.
1992 GMC Typhoon, lots of goodies
2005 CBR 600RR
Old 12-12-2004, 05:27 PM
Master Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrapii
...My question is why go through all the additional expense and complications when it is not necessary?...
Well I do have a clearance problem at the moment so *something* is necessary

I could solve the problem in the traditional manner for somewhere between $100 and $200 for a new smaller diameter vacuum booster.

The hydroboost is a bit longer reach but I don't automatically rule anything just because of cost. I have learned that in many cases when you pay more you get more. The questions in this case are do you get enough to make it worth it and is there a more inexpensive way to accomplish the same result. So far it sounding like a maybe worth it and no cheaper way to do it.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:33 PM

Master Wrench

ElkyPete is just really nice

vrooom3440

I had a lot of problems keeping a good master cylinder in my 76. I went through at least four and a mechanic friend suggested a wired fix. We used a master cylinder off a 68 3/4 ton Chevy Pickup (regular non power) and my factory booster. Never had any problems since. Now it seems to me that you could use a smaller booster from a later model Elky and a Master Cylinder off a Truck without power brakes, like we did with mine, and that would give you plenty of stopping power. Mine work great way better stopping than ever actually a little touchy. But I was not able to keep a good factory type cylinder on it they'd all go bad really quick, I know that is not your problem but it is worth a thought. When my brakes were not leaking from the master cylinder they were always spongy and weak. I have a pretty decent cam so not a bunch of vacuum at times.

Anyway it is a thought. It was cheap for me, in the long run the cheapest way was the way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in